Could Gus do it again?

iS1tMiKxIl3iD.gif

What the fuck...? Manuwa, hammil, diabate, tehuna were flailing wildly?

Fuck off with that nonsense, son.

Also, if anything, I'd expect gustafsson to win even more convincingly.

Hahaha yeah

I would love it, but imo its less likely the 2nd time around.

Kirin:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not sure I understand the scoring of the first fight. I don't really see how Jones won any of the first three rounds. They weren't big blowout rounds, but I felt Gus won all three of them. Jones did come "sorta" close to finishing in the fourth, but Gus was also winning that round until the last 40 seconds, so I don't know how you score that a 10-8 round, if anyone did. Fifth round was Jones', but also not a 10-8.

The problem I see in a rematch is for Gus to replicate stuffing like 10 out of 11 takedowns. It seems like a LOT to ask. Maybe he can, but that's the sticking point I see.

Fair enough. I actually agree with you on virtually everything you said, with the exception of how you think a second fight would play out.

I think a lot of what we saw in the first fight was gustafsson getting more of a feeling that he belonged in there with jones, who was on pace to break tito's record for most title defenses, and had done so in what seemed to be an effortless fashion. He had great success with his striking, but unfortunately the judges were more into style than substance (i.e. jones's "flashy" kicks which were doing very little to hurt or deter alex). The infamous 4th round is also rather egregiously incorrect in how many people scored it. Like you mentioned, jones landed that elbow with less than a minute to go, and he didn't even follow it up with anything significant. Gustafsson was clearly stunned, but he still had enough wherewithal to avoid being taken down, he parried or dodged most of jones's follow up strikes, and even threw jones down at the end of the round; so all in all, I feel it was really overvalued by the judges and most fans. By the 5th, gus looked pretty gassed, but I was amazed and impressed that even though jones managed to get him down, he still got up and made it look very easy.

If they fight again any time in the near future, I see the mauler going in there looking to finish and being more aggressive rather than being content to point fight vs jones, as jon's style is way too popular with the judges.

I think Gus fought scared and conservative the first time and still send jones to the hospital with machines monitoring his vitals.

I think he looks for and gets the finish. His striking is too good and he'll finally commit to his combos and put some power behind then and either tko or ko jones.

I think Jones matches up better against DC than Gus does though.

Gus' TDD and ability to get up were shocking for sure. If that's a permanent part of his game from now on, he's gonna be really tough to deal with. Jones is a handful because he has so many ways to hurt you and he has real killer instinct.

However it plays out, I'd love to see it again.

I think the big problem for Gus is he won't come into a rematch with a vastly different gameplan. I think he still wants to play a range-y game and strike from the outside and utilize his footwork to make takedowns difficult. Jones on the other hand will come into the fight with a much different gameplan. I think Jones has a better idea of what to expect in a rematch and can plan around it, which could be a big advantage. It seems like a lot of people think Gus can come in and do the same thing he did last time, except now he'll win.

I also don't like how inactive he's been, It's been a year and half and he's only had one fight since. He isn't injured and he's in the prime of his life, why hasn't he been fighting more? Do you want to be the best or just be the best for one night?

Overall these are not good signs. It has the Sonnen/Anderson feel for me too TS.

Firstly Jones has only fought one fight since then aswell.

Secondly, He was supposed to fight jones earlier this year, and then got injured. they wanted to make a rumble fight, but rumble had his Contract up in the air for his domestic dispute, making the fight unsignable for a brief period. now that fight is signed, and he's fighting rumble in 3 weeks.

Basically he's fighting at the exact same rate as jon jones more or less.

If Gus improves his cardio And fight's harder in the championship rounds, He wins a rematch.

I think the big problem for Gus is he won't come into a rematch with a vastly different gameplan. I think he still wants to play a range-y game and strike from the outside and utilize his footwork to make takedowns difficult. Jones on the other hand will come into the fight with a much different gameplan. I think Jones has a better idea of what to expect in a rematch and can plan around it, which could be a big advantage. It seems like a lot of people think Gus can come in and do the same thing he did last time, except now he'll win.

Gus will always be a ttough fight for Jones, he got taken down by Gus. Outboxed, its different for Jones when he fighs someone his own size and almost on the same level as him, he always enjoys a huge size advantage over his opponents.
Jon didn't know what todo when he started to get outboxed. After the fight he was so fucked up, you can see it when hes walking backstage.

I think Gus will do better the second time

Hasn't he said he's gonna go for the early finish in the rematch?

I don't think he'll play the range game at all.

That's a much better version of what I was trying to say originally...

Hasn't he said he's gonna go for the early finish in the rematch?

I don't think he'll play the range game at all.

Then that's a bad idea, imo. Part of the reason his takedown defense was so good was precisely because he was at range and wasn't planting his feet for power shots. He starts getting closer and trying to finish and he opens up all sorts of new opportunities for Jones who has a much more diverse skillset at close range.

I have a feeling Gus has probably improved more since their first fight than JJ has. This is just speculation of course.

gus through mauling

im betting my house on him

Gus will always be a ttough fight for Jones, he got taken down by Gus. Outboxed, its different for Jones when he fighs someone his own size and almost on the same level as him, he always enjoys a huge size advantage over his opponents.
Jon didn't know what todo when he started to get outboxed. After the fight he was so fucked up, you can see it when hes walking backstage.

Bonnar and Andre Gusmao were also big and Jones had no problem with them. Its Gus and his unique and powerful skills not his size that put on the performance.

Gus is the worst possible matchup for Jones... I think the 2nd fight will be a lot like their 1rst.

Gus will be more dominant. Absolute nightmare matchup for Jones, which is why Jones tried his best to avoid the rematch.

I think Gus would finish him in a rematch.

Back