Could Gus do it again?

saugeye killah

No need rope hold up pants.
@Brown
Reaction score
If Gus eventually gets the rematch with Jones, could he pull off a repeat or even better performance? Or did he fight the fight of his life the first time, ala Sonnen/Anderson I?

To me it kind of has that Sonnen feel to it. There is the difference however of Gus having a much higher ability to finish Jones than Sonnen had against Silva. However, Gus typically only finishes guys who come in flailing wildly.

What the fuck...? Manuwa, hammil, diabate, tehuna were flailing wildly?

Fuck off with that nonsense, son.

Also, if anything, I'd expect gustafsson to win even more convincingly.

If and if he wins over Rumble. Jones will beat him again

I don't like his attitude about the loss. He seems to focused on the past and not as much on the future. I also don't like how inactive he's been, It's been a year and half and he's only had one fight since. He isn't injured and he's in the prime of his life, why hasn't he been fighting more? Do you want to be the best or just be the best for one night?

Overall these are not good signs. It has the Sonnen/Anderson feel for me too TS.

The Sonnen comparison is meh, but I see what you are saying. I figure he fought about a perfect fight and gave himself a great shot, but with a full training camp to prepare for what Gus is bringin, I think Jones wins a more convincing decision next time around, if he gets through DC. And if he beats DC, a rematch would be bullshit. Gus deserves his shot if he gets through Rumble.

What the fuck...? Manuwa, hammil, diabate, tehuna were flailing wildly?

Fuck off with that nonsense, son.

Also, if anything, I'd expect gustafsson to win even more convincingly.
This

I'd pick Gus against Jones in the rematch and against DC, I feel he's a harder match for DC than Jones is win or lose on Saturday.

I don't like his attitude about the loss. He seems to focused on the past and not as much on the future. I also don't like how inactive he's been, It's been a year and half and he's only had one fight since. He isn't injured and he's in the prime of his life, why hasn't he been fighting more? Do you want to be the best or just be the best for one night?

Overall these are not good signs. It has the Sonnen/Anderson feel for me too TS.

Uh...are you serious? He fought manuwa not too long after his fight vs jones, then he was scheduled to fight jones, but had to pull out due to a knee injury. After that, he got set up to fight vs rumble. Just bad timing, but it's not like he's been resting on his laurels.

I also think his rhetoric about that fight is his way of trying to build up a rivalry with the current champion and bring more hype to a possible rematch.

The Sonnen comparison is meh, but I see what you are saying. I figure he fought about a perfect fight and gave himself a great shot, but with a full training camp to prepare for what Gus is bringin, I think Jones wins a more convincing decision next time around, if he gets through DC. And if he beats DC, a rematch would be bullshit. Gus deserves his shot if he gets through Rumble.

You make an excellent point. This time jones will be prepared for gustafsson's striking, whereas last time, jones and his camp were focusing on the mauler's grappling. Good call. Too bad they didn't consult with you first.

Gus is the worst possible matchup for Jones... I think the 2nd fight will be a lot like their 1rst.

Yes, he could lose again. In fact, that's the most likely outcome.

LOL I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but your Nordic Knight Gus lost his fight against Jones, winning at best 2 rounds. Hating Jones doesn't mean you get to rewrite history.

Yes he could lose again, only this time it would be more convincing of a win for jones.

If Gus eventually gets the rematch with Jones, could he pull off a repeat or even better performance? Or did he fight the fight of his life the first time, ala Sonnen/Anderson I?

To me it kind of has that Sonnen feel to it. There is the difference however of Gus having a much higher ability to finish Jones than Sonnen had against Silva. However, Gus typically only finishes guys who come in flailing wildly.

I thought Gus won to be honest. Watching the rematch, I thought, ok, Gus won but did not do enough and the 4th round made him look bad.

What I learned, is Gus clearly has better hands. So, I think Gus wins a boxing rematch. But, Jones kicks looked better. Just to fast with his kicks. Overall, I would say, Gus will be stronger in a rematch. However, if Jones loses to DC....then, all this doesn't matter.

I rather focus on this fight, DC vs Jones....see what happens. I think, Jones does well against DC type fighters. However, I see DC winning.

This fight is interesting. I think DC will win. I just see DC getting in range on Jones. If not, Then, who knows? ...I see DC doing what we thought Rampage and Glover should do but could not implement becauase they lacked that close range. However, DC....IMO, will close the gap...and do it well, to the point, I question who can win. I just wonder if Jones will be able to counter DC's movements.

So,....um yeah, Gus can win...but, DC is a serious threat...I do not think Gus wins against DC....but against Jones yes...I think DC is Gus achilles heel. ...while DC is Jones Achilles heel. I wish Gus got the rematch but...it is what it is....DC will make it as champ IMO.

Sounds about right. DC could be an awful matchup for Gus regardless.

LOL I'm sorry to burst your bubble, but your Nordic Knight Gus lost his fight against Jones, winning at best 2 rounds. Hating Jones doesn't mean you get to rewrite history.

But being a jones nut-hugger does?

Kirin:

Don't get me wrong. I'm not sure I understand the scoring of the first fight. I don't really see how Jones won any of the first three rounds. They weren't big blowout rounds, but I felt Gus won all three of them. Jones did come "sorta" close to finishing in the fourth, but Gus was also winning that round until the last 40 seconds, so I don't know how you score that a 10-8 round, if anyone did. Fifth round was Jones', but also not a 10-8.

The problem I see in a rematch is for Gus to replicate stuffing like 10 out of 11 takedowns. It seems like a LOT to ask. Maybe he can, but that's the sticking point I see.

I honestly believe that was Gus's chance to beat Jones and reach
suprtstardom. Dude caught Jones on an off night and still couldnt pull it off.
Next time Jones owns for sure.

Back