Could Gus come in as a slight favorite against Jones this time?

Shogun-Jones.

Yup, and I do recall the fact that when the odds came out and Jones was (quite logically) the favorite by something like -250, it generated mass outrage on this board. People said Jones didn't deserve a shot and even called the odds "disrespectful." LOL As if betting odds have anything to do with respect.

Despite the odds, and the fact that Jones had been straight-up wrecking the division in unprecedented fashion, the Sherdog poll had still showed most people here picking Shogun to win that fight. I think a lot of the over-the-top irrational hate Jones gets to this day can be traced back to how foolish he made many fans look with the murder-job he pulled on Shogun.

Yup, and I do recall the fact that when the odds came out and Jones was (quite logically) the favorite by something like -250, it generated mass outrage on this board. People said Jones didn't deserve a shot and even called the odds "disrespectful." LOL As if betting odds have anything to do with respect.

Despite the odds, and the fact that Jones had been straight-up wrecking the division in unprecedented fashion, the Sherdog poll had still showed most people here picking Shogun to win that fight. I think a lot of the over-the-top irrational hate Jones gets to this day can be traced back to how foolish he made many fans look with the murder-job he pulled on Shogun.

Sherdog suffers from the champ-is-unbeatable syndrome at times. Also, Shogun is beloved on these boards. It does seem crazy in retrospect, given how terrible of a beating that fight turned out to be.

He'll be an underdog, but not a 5-1 which I believe it was before?

That got me thinking, has there ever been a UFC fight where the champ was the underdog? What about Anderson and Rich Franklin? Maybe GSP against Serra?

Pettis at a time was favoured against Benson.

Well, seeing as Sonnen was ultimately finished that's why I believe he wasn't a favorite coming in.

Gus fought a very very close fight in which people thought he won.

Sonnen won every moment of that fight up and until the end.

Gus only won 1, maybe 2 rounds, and not by much, and he ended up withering by the end of the fight.

Perhaps if Jones took a few early, uneventful rounds and then Gus turned it up and blasted jones at the end of the fight looking like the superior fight he would be the favorite, but that's a description of what Jones did not Gus.

Sonnen won every moment of that fight up and until the end.

Gus only won 1, maybe 2 rounds, and not by much, and he ended up withering by the end of the fight.

Perhaps if Jones took a few early, uneventful rounds and then Gus turned it up and blasted jones at the end of the fight looking like the superior fight he would be the favorite, but that's a description of what Jones did not Gus.

jones never looked like the superior fighter against gus. he threw a hail mary elbow that connected and did a bit more work in the 5th which was a pretty sloppy round from both fighters. i still score the fight 4-1 Gus and give Gus the first 4 rounds.

jones should only be a slight favorite imo

Seeing as how Jones beat him last time, it only makes sense Gus would be the favorite in a rematch

jones never looked like the superior fighter against gus. he threw a hail mary elbow that connected and did a bit more work in the 5th which was a pretty sloppy round from both fighters. i still score the fight 4-1 Gus and give Gus the first 4 rounds.

nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

"hail mary" not like hes landed it on several other people prior to Gus..

a slipped punch that cut JJs face seems to have really deluded a great amount of people into thinking he got fucked up. He got tagged a lot and it was a hard fight but not nearly as bad as many remember. for almost every punch Gus landed, John stomped the fuck out of his legs. Guess it really comes down to whether or not you think a several legs kicks are worth more or less than a punch to the head.

Well, seeing as Sonnen was ultimately finished that's why I believe he wasn't a favorite coming in.

Gus fought a very very close fight in which people thought he won.

Finished in the last round after dominating the entire fight. No way gus is the favorite

You probably say 2+2=5 as well, but that doesn't make it so.

The rounds in dispute are 2 and 3, anybody that gives Gus round 4 or 5 or Jones round 1 is diluted.

The odds will be much closer but I don't think Gus will be favored. Nor should he.

Rather than a massive underdog? Or would it still be Jones favored but not as much as the last odds.

I don't think so dude.

Jones won the last fight and is still the champ.

Back