Could Glover Dominate Izzy on the ground?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Druken_Vovchanchyn, Nov 3, 2020.

1. Druken_Vovchanchyn Brown Belt

Really think about it? Sure...izzy can probably butcher Jan with speed... But even Old man Glover is BRUTAL on the ground. I cant help but think of this match up being and bad one for Izzy. Glover has shown the ability and willingness to implement a grapple heavy approach. Am i crazy for thinking this? If he can beat Santos this is a legit possibility lol.

2. Jokke Blue Belt

Yes if he gets Izzy down.

If.

3. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

Nobody has been able to tread on his toes.. Hard to see anyone beating him in the grapple because he's simply evasive as shit. Dudes either half way across the cage or in kicking distance, when ever he's in the pocket he leans back and swwangs ...
    There are so few opportunities to get him down, against some bigger stronger LHW's though who knows.
    I know he's talked about that Flying Knee ready for those that go in for double legs.

4. pankrat Black Belt

Not sure about Glover. Phil Davis and Bader would actually have a better chance

But UFC prefered to save money on LHW contenders, and some shertards still assume UFC hires all the top talent

5. Druken_Vovchanchyn Brown Belt

this is true...i dont think it would be a double. It would be a body lock/trip into half guard type thing. Glover has that dog in him to evade a shot and just clinch. I dont think hes a favorite or anything.i just dont think many other guys even have a shot. Izzy is special for sure

6. TheMessiah Yellow Card Yellow Card

Glovers main tactic now is to survive the first round and then look for openings and a takedown. Izzy could well finish him in the first round, but if he takes it to the ground i think he could sub him

7. HI SCOTT NEWMAN ✔ This Cat had 167,454 Likes Received ✔

Glover has been looking good in recent fights, and he is on the best win streak at LHW, apart from the champ.

No you're not crazy for thinking that, Glover is very strong and good on the ground, the speed difference would be huge, Glover is slow and very sluggish, and Adesanya is fast, but I remember when people on here and Dana were going hysterical about Cannonier and Glover beat the sh*t out of him an ragdolled him badly.

8. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

His balance is outrageous and against the cage he's full of tricks, with that leg span/width he's so hard to take down, like Jones is.. will take a lot of strength and technique to get him down, and I think would have to come once Izzy was tired and in deep waters... A lot would have to going right for them pull it off..

[​IMG][​IMG]

9. Pancake Sprawl WAR IGOR!!!11

those guys weren't contenders. contenders get title shots, they don't hang around the top 10 their entire careers, that's called a journeyman.

Baltimore Bro and GoshiShun17 like this.
  10. Pious Augustus ...

Vettori took him down and controlled him

11. Martialbeef Red Belt

Could he get him down is the question of which the answer is probably not. Could he dominate him in the ground is a stupid question that doesn’t need answered

12. pankrat Black Belt

Oh, so Glover is a legitimate contender but Davis and Bader weren't?

Talk about a brain washed UFC shill shertard

Kaynan, Phisher, BjPenn2017 and 3 others like this.
  13. EVIL WAR GOD Brown Belt

Glovers takedowns aren’t good enough for that.

14. MCS Show mercy to those sheep

I haven't seen anyone come in with a gameplan to straight up grapplef him. It's been overly pacing or brawling. Izzy is the best striker in the UFC, yet all choose to stand with him.

His bottom game is completely untested in difficult situations. His TDD hasn't been tested much. Maybe tried 1 or 2 subs that weren't close.

I'd hope some of these dudes at least try. He's the new Spider without Sonnen, Leites or Lutter, but with guys who can do a lot of things, yet choose to brawl with him or just wait not to gas. Some horrible gameplans.

So Izzy being a good defensive grappler has become quite the myth on these boards.

Glover has a tendency to stand. If things don't go his way or he sees an opportunity for a TD he changes completely to grappling with the goal to end the fight on the ground in that sequence. Israel hasn't seen none of that. But because of Glover's approach to stand up first he could get pieced up like the rest.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  15. Jose Beehive No.1 Soldier Of God Gif User

Yeah they all come in Round 3 I think..

1st takedown got sprawled, but Vettori reverses the sprawl to half guard.. He did very little with it some okay body shots, Izzy is wriggling the whole time, potential arm triangle set ups but not what Marvin goes for...

2nd takedown was basically a slip from Israel trying to throw him out of clinch scramble, he lands right into a leg lock position and then gets back up from it, if Izzy has learnt any leg submissions since then this could be a threat...

3rd one is good, but both look gassed really, Izzy has a little more energy so just gets back up with his long ass legs, Herb is a bit shit and separates them from the clinch after like 2 seconds.

Think Rob Wilkinson took him down like 3 of 14 attempt too. Will have to look into that one next.

16. SmoothPies Green Belt

Glover has some of the best top control in the UFC. Problem is he's not exactly this incredible wrestler.

If he got Israel down, yeah he'd probably do very well and possibly even submit him early or do plenty of damage.

But the fight starts standing, and I have a hard time picturing Glover being able to close the gap and get that takedown without getting hurt first

Fesaine, DudeBroMMA and MCS like this.
  17. Pancake Sprawl WAR IGOR!!!11

uhh yea? he finished Bader and like i said, FOUGHT FOR A TITLE. what the fuck has Bader and Phil Davis do but barely beat most people? you're fighting for a guy WHO WAS CHOKED THE FUCK OUT BY TITO ORTIZ to be in the UFC??? another guy who can barely finish a meal let alone another human being trying to do him harm?

if you're gonna play that boring style, you gotta be dominant like Jon Fitch where it's overwhelmingly apparent that your wrestling is on another level. those 2 guys could never do that except to scrubs and noobs.

Baltimore Bro, GoshiShun17 and MCS like this.
  18. Herwald Black Belt

If he actually got Izzy on the ground, very possible.

keepemup likes this.
  19. pankrat Black Belt

Are you calling Glover a scrub? Davis outclassed a younger, closer to his prime Glover in the grappling department. Is Glover a scrub/noob, or are you a monumental shertard?

Could a shertard of your caliber assess the evolution in Bader's game since he lost to Tito like a decade ago? LOL, not even if your life depended on it.

Keep hating, brain washed UFC retarded shill

20. ArtemV Gold Belt

Absolutely. The problem is Izzy is too mobile for Texeiria. Tex is old and his plodding footwork is predictably easy to circle around.

DudeBroMMA likes this.