Could Edgar fight Dillashaw for Bantamweight Belt

Bels89

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
With Aldo-McGregor fighting in December and possibly a rematch next summer

He's smaller than Barao who just BARELY makes BW but I'd be a little worried about his cardio after the cut, considering it's one of his big advantages over pretty much everyone at LW or FW. If Edgar keeps getting shafted at 145 I wouldn't be surprised if it happens and I agree that it would be a great fight.

He won't get a title shot at 145. Mark this thread. Conor v. Aldo I, then II (Immediate Rematch), meanwhile he'll have to fight Chad Mendes for his shot. So we're talking 1 year 3+ months IF he gets a shot at 145 assuming he beats Mendes.

OR he can go down to fight at 135 (crush a can, test cut) then fight for the title.

I like Dillashaw though.

Frankie's best bet is crushing cans for 2 years and racking up the money. I'm a Frankie fan but he'll never be champ again.

Either this or he moves up to 155 and asks for an immediate shot vs. RDA or Cowboy. And I don't see how he wins there either.

He could. With Cruz and Assuncao hurt, it'd be totally doable. I doubt White or Shelby will turn him down. It all comes down to Frankie though.

Frankie's elite but honestly, how many title shots does one guy deserve?

He's focused on 145. He wants that 2nd shot at Aldo and still thinks he won the first fight. I'm sure he'd also love a Conor payday.

If he loses though then maybe we'll see it happen.

People seem to have this weird perception that Edgar is small regardless of what weight class hes in. When thats not really the case. Yes he was undersized at LW but hes actually a decent sized FW.

frankie-edgar-cub-swanson-ufc-fight-night-57.jpg

He's focused on 145. He wants that 2nd shot at Aldo and still thinks he won the first fight. I'm sure he'd also love a Conor payday.

If he loses though then maybe we'll see it happen.

I agree with you 100% but if Aldo beats Connor that there will be a rematch 100% and if Aldo beats Connor there still might be a rematch. Either way the earliest Frankie would fight for the title at 145 would be next summer and could extend all the way to the end of next year - He isn't waiting for that. He should take a fight at 135 with someone in the top 5 or fight TJ. He does deserve it at 145 and is better than anyone else at 135 not named Cruz.

People seem to have this weird perception that Edgar is small regardless of what weight class hes in. When thats not really the case. Yes he was undersized at LW but hes actually a decent sized FW.

Interesting that did change my perception of his size at 145. I thought he was much smaller.

He won't get a title shot at 145. Mark this thread. Conor v. Aldo I, then II (Immediate Rematch), meanwhile he'll have to fight Chad Mendes for his shot. So we're talking 1 year 3+ months IF he gets a shot at 145 assuming he beats Mendes.

OR he can go down to fight at 135 (crush a can, test cut) then fight for the title.

I like Dillashaw though.

Frankie's best bet is crushing cans for 2 years and racking up the money. I'm a Frankie fan but he'll never be champ again.

Either this or he moves up to 155 and asks for an immediate shot vs. RDA or Cowboy. And I don't see how he wins there either.

He'll make more money waiting to fight Conor then he will at any other weight class. If he loses that fight decisively then I could see him moving down.

Frankie's elite but honestly, how many title shots does one guy deserve?

And there is nobody in the BW division to make a title eliminator

If he goes down, he is basically a top contender, considering Cruz and Assuncao are injured, Barao recently lost to TJ and Faber to him

He'll make more money waiting to fight Conor then he will at any other weight class. If he loses that fight decisively then I could see him moving down.

You think he will make more in 1 fight with Connor then possibly 2 or 3 fights with out Connor if he doesn't wait? I don't see that happening especially if he fights TJ for the belt at 135. That could possibly be on other big cards like 194, 195 on New Years or even the RDA vs. Cerrone Card...all big cards.

You think he will make more in 1 fight with Connor then possibly 2 or 3 fights with out Connor if he doesn't wait? I don't see that happening especially if he fights TJ for the belt at 135. That could possibly be on other big cards like 194, 195 on New Years or even the RDA vs. Cerrone Card...all big cards.

Well Frankie makes $125/$125, so $250,000 if he wins.

A PPV fight with McGregor would bring him like 3 million cash for his cut of PPV buys... so yeah, I understand why he would crush cans and sit around for that type of retirement payday.

Makes sense. $3.5 mil to fight Conor, State of New Jersey and Feds take half of it. So after taxes Frankie walks away with a $1.75 million check for retirement...

Not bad. Assuming he has a paid off house and makes royalties, teaches for extra income.

He should really switch his residency to a State with no Income Tax before he fights Conor, he'd keep about half a million easy.

Interesting that did change my perception of his size at 145. I thought he was much smaller.

Edgar is wearing shoes in that picture and Cub is not

Edgar is too tanky right now, he'd have to cut back on the strength training for a half year. He would be a pretty big Bantamweight, but his size at 5 6 is ok for that.

Dana had to push frankie to move doen to 145 so I doubt he is considering 135 anytime soon

Edgar is wearing shoes in that picture and Cub is not

Makes sense as Cub is supposed to be 1 inch taller than Frankie, at 5'7". Still, Cub looks like total shit in that picture.

Well Frankie makes $125/$125, so $250,000 if he wins.

A PPV fight with McGregor would bring him like 3 million cash for his cut of PPV buys... so yeah, I understand why he would crush cans and sit around for that type of retirement payday.

Makes sense. $3.5 mil to fight Conor, State of New Jersey and Feds take half of it. So after taxes Frankie walks away with a $1.75 million check for retirement...

Not bad. Assuming he has a paid off house and makes royalties, teaches for extra income.

He should really switch his residency to a State with no Income Tax before he fights Conor, he'd keep about half a million easy.

PPV points bonuses and locker room bonuses are never revealed. Your pulling numbers out of your ass. 3.5M bonus is IF they reach 1M PPV buys - the mendes vs. connor fight didn't officially do that - its estimated at just over 820,000. You don't know what ppv money Frankie got for the aldo fight or any other title fights he was in. He would make more with the Connor fight but not enough to wait over a year that's all I am saying.

Back