Could boxing and MMA have openweight champs under 200 lbs?

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by superpunch, Feb 8, 2020.

1. superpunch Gold Belt

Boxing has shown that guys like 210 lbs can become world champions. Mike Tyson, Wilder, etc.

MMA has shown the same thing with guys like 2005 Cro Cop. 206 lb Hendo beat the baddest man on the planet.

Even though those guys are tiny, they're all above 200 lbs. If they banned 215 lb men from fighting at HW though, none of those guys would have been champions. Then we'd be talking about how we wonder if 215 lb men could be openweight champions because it's never happened before.

Men under 200 lbs aren't allowed to fight HW fighters. If they were allowed to fight bigger men though, is it possible that a 190 lb man could become the world champion in either sport? A 180 lb man? What do you think?

2. ConorFacts Banned Banned

Wilder is a beast.

The way he KOs 50-70 lbs HWs is crazy.

3. superpunch Gold Belt

It's pretty common throughout boxing history though. George Foreman was the same size and did the same thing.

Back in the day, 190 lb men WERE allowed to fight at HW though. And when they were allowed, you had guys like 187 lb Rocky Marciano going 49-0 with 49 KOs. So that begs the question.. what if?

4. Karuzo Banned Banned

At HW everyone has knockout power because there is only so much that a human skull can withstand. No matter how big someone's body is, our heads are all mostly the same size. After you get in the 200lb + range, anyone can KO anyone.

Basically, a 230 lb man can KO a 300 lb man much easier than a 135er can KO a 185er.

So it would be a lot harder in the lower weight classes.

5. ConorFacts Banned Banned

Foreman outweighed 79/81 of his opponents.

Fury was legit 50-60 lbs bigger than Wilder.

Wilder is a CW and KOs real HWs.

6. s1ncity Yellow Belt

I could definitely see a prime GSP outwrestling Derrick Lewis or Francis Ngannou

7. superpunch Gold Belt

I doubt it. He struggled in the match with that hockey guy when they weren't even allowed to punch. Lewis or Ngannou would pummel him in the wrestling.

8. beastman Silver Belt

There've been plenty of guys that were 205 or HW's who could have made 205 win championships. If a guy is naturally above 200, I'd doubt it.

Definitely a long stretch where Fedor would have smoked anyone and he could have cut to 205 if he wanted to.

9. AnotherOldGuy Black Belt

That hockey guy (Laraque) was the same size as Lewis and Ngannou and a good enough athlete to make several million dollars a year playing a much more competitive (and higher paying sport) than MMA. He'd do much better in grappling or MMA than either Lewis or Ngannou would do in hockey if they all tried each others sports (even giving them a couple of years to train).

For comparison in athletic ability, GSP stopped playing hockey at about age 15 because he wasn't good enough -- Laraque was good enough to make it into the NHL. Hockey is by far the most competitive sport in Canada, and gets almost all the best athletes. Laraque was simply a better athlete than GSP (though of course lacks the wrestling training GSP has).

Having said that, I agree GSP is too small for Lewis or Ngannou in grappling.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
  10. Russie Black Belt

Absolutely they could have that. Of course this would depend on who the champion is and who the light weight guy is.

11. daemusvladornu Green Belt

I was about to say that... Foreman was built like a brick house dude lol.

12. dittohead84 Silver Belt

They could if the HW's happened to be really bad at a certain time. The likes of a prime Cain around 240 or an Ubereem, they'd kill people under 200.

13. moreorless87 Straba

I'v always thought though who ends up in what division isn't just about size but often about how there abilities are suited to them.

Traditionally I would say LHW has tended to favour guys who have excellent cardio and output, HW has tended to favour guys with extreme finishing ability and defence/toughness.

The Pride big three most obviously were the kind of size were 205lbs could have been an option for them, maybe they'd have had to lose a bit of muscle mass but they weren't really that much different to many 205ers size wise.

Wanderlei on the other hand wasn't so successful at HW and I think the issue was he was too hittable, the kind of drag out wars he had at 205lbs against say Rampage would simply be too dangerous at HW as Crocop showed.

14. 20falarVerdades Silver Belt

Woodley could probably KO some HWs