Could being a heel personality backfire?

D'z

Me against 40 of you?...A fair fight! -Big L
@Black
Reaction score
*I guess the sub-question should be, do you think judges of MMA fights follow the UFC?( Yes, this is your opportunity to bash the judges. Have fun.)

Obviously being a heel pays in dividends as well as fast tracking ones career. See also; Conor, Coby, Joanna Contender, Brock, Chael, etc. So, in that regard, it most certainly is beneficial as career move.

I ask, because if MMA judges follow the UFC, professionalism aside, they're likely to be swayed one way or another by different personalities. Let's face it, to be truly unbiased is impossible. Our brains create paradigms, and place judgement despite our conscious mind.

That said, you guys think judges could let a fighters personality affect their judgement in a fight (something I'm pretty sure we're all guilty of at some point or another)? If so, being a heel could backfire when fights go the distance, no?

*I guess the sub-question should be, do you think judges of MMA fights follow the UFC?( Yes, this is your opportunity to bash the judges. Have fun.)

Obviously being a heel pays in dividends as well as fast tracking ones career. See also; Conor, Coby, Joanna Contender, Brock, Chael, etc. So, in that regard, it most certainly is beneficial as career move.

I ask, because if MMA judges follow the UFC, professionalism aside, they're likely to be swayed one way or another by different personalities. Let's face it, to be truly unbiased is impossible. Our brains create paradigms, and place judgement despite our conscious mind.

That said, you guys think judges could let a fighters personality affect their judgement in a fight (something I'm pretty sure we're all guilty of at some point or another)? If so, being a heel could backfire when fights go the distance, no?

Judges are grown ups, not wrestling fans

Last edited:
I was thinking more along the lines of getting attacked outside the arena like what happened to pro wrestling heels in the early and mid 80's.

So? Are you saying grown-ups aren't biased? If so, that's laughable.

Biased, but fake personality aimed to impress little kids is not what will affect them

For me, being a heel is like being a golddigger who fucks an old man for the last few years of his life.

A lot of people will say its contrived and fake, and the beneficiary doesnt deserve what they get, but the gold digger had to wipe old man ass for the last ten years, and disrespect is disrespect. You don't get to publicly question a fellow fighters ability and belonging in the ufc without hurting someones feelings.

I was thinking more along the lines of getting attacked outside the arena like what happened to pro wrestling heels in the early and mid 80's.
Lol, fans hate you so much they jump you after you pin their hero?<{outtahere}>

Only if you become a Jon Fitch / Jake Shields type heel by using boring techniques.

The charismatic ones are generally well liked so they're just as likely to get fanboy judges as they are hater judges.

I think your title is poor, but your feeling is correct imo.

It could be past performances, bad attitudes, preconceived perceptions, previous errors, misunderstandings, that could possibility effect a ref's decision. It sucks, but like you said, they are humans.

I don't think "heel personas" are a significant factor.

No. I doubt the judges get worked. If so Colby may have lost that fight on the scorecards.

Biased, but fake personality aimed to impress little kids is not what will affect them
I think you give adults more credit than I do.

I really wish wwe fans would stop trying to fully crossover the sports. One is make believe..... the other is not! The only "heel" personalities are the American wwe fans like Chael and Colby. The rest are just themselves, whether people view that as a bad thing or good thing is subjective

Its a good question despite the typical shertard responses. I don't think theres a correlation. If there was you'd have a lot more questionable decisions.

A pop is a pop. Hero or heel. It only doesn't work if you can't produce good fights. No promoter wants to give a can a push.

Back