Could a Sherdog movie watching club work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Guestx

This was just an idea I had. . .

Distilled down to the basic concept it's nothing more than: We pick a movie , watch it, and discuss it.

But some of the specifics I've been thinking about are:

- We'd do one movie per week.

- We'd mix it up with the movies, one week it might be a movie most of us have probably seen and would be revisiting (say Terminator 2!), and then the next week it might be something much more obscure that would probably be new to most of us.

- The right to recommend the movie would rotate throughout the members, and would work like this: That member would pick either three to five movies as candidates, and then everyone else would vote. The movie that receives the most votes is the movie for the week.

So what does everyone think? Does this sound like something that could be of interest and that could work? Or is it a fool's errand?

Watching movies is what I do 24/7 so I would probably stumble into the fun one way or another.

Get ready for pedantic bullshit, overanalyzation, cinematic esoterica, and super snobbery if I'm let into the club though :D

Last edited:
Why if a member doesn't watch the movie and just reads a wiki synopsis but is smart enough to BS his way through an internet discussion?

Why if a member doesn't watch the movie and just reads a wiki synopsis but is smart enough to BS his way through an internet discussion?

I'd say he's only shortchanging himself. I mean, it's not a competition. Getting exposed to new films, revisiting old films, understanding forms of cinema you hadn't really given a chance in the past, etc is the whole point.

I'd say he's only shortchanging himself. I mean, it's not a competition. Getting exposed to new films, revisiting old films, understanding forms of cinema you hadn't really given a change, etc is the whole point.

Sounds good.

First movie: Xmen

This was just an idea I had. . .

Distilled down to the basic concept it's nothing more than: We pick a movie , watch it, and discuss it.

But some of the specifics I've been thinking about are:

- We'd do one movie per week.

- We'd mix it up with the movies, one week it might be a movie most of us have probably seen and would be revisiting (say Terminator 2!), and then the next week it might be something much more obscure that would probably be new to most of us.

- The right to recommend the movie would rotate throughout the members, and would work like this: That member would pick either three to five movies as candidates, and then everyone else would vote. The movie that receives the most votes is the movie for the week.

So what does everyone think? Does this sound like something that could be of interest and that could work? Or is it a fool's errand?

I love movies so I'm down.

Somebody has to carry that banner. . .

As the most important member of this club I demand that my vote shall be counted as two and that I'll receive the power to veto any film that is to my displeasure.
:p

Btw, as the originator I assume that you're up for nominating the first batch of films?

And @HenryFlower doesn't seem to be around as much these days.

Yeah I miss having that big grasshopper around too.

Things went downhill after he got rid of that Film Noir AV. Proof that you shouldn't stray to far away from the classics.

As the most important member of this club I demand that my vote shall be counted as two and that I'll receive the power to veto any film that is to my displeasure.
:p

Btw, as the originator I assume that you're up for nominating the first batch of films?

Ha ha.

Yeah, I figure as chairman I'd kick things off. And then it would just go in the order of sign ups. So it looks like Forum Sentinal and then you.

Things went downhill after he got rid of that Film Noir AV. Proof that you shouldn't stray to far away from the classics.

We never really got along but I kind of felt like we were starting to make peace there near the end.

And agreed on the avatar. It was weird seeing him with something different.

I could jump in every now & then and give my humble opinion on a movie.

But to actually watch and evaluate a random movie once a week is just not possible for me due to my schedule & timeliness.

I could jump in every now and then & give my humble opinion on a movie.

But to actually watch & evaluate a random movie once a week is just not possible for me due to my schedule & timeliness.

I appreciate your honesty and accept your refusal to join our esteemed club.

I'm down. Probably won't have that much time for back-and-forth discussion but I like movies and analysis with others that "get" them.

sounds good. I'm down. But I think 2 movies a month is good. If I don't own the movie and can't track it down locally, it could take up to a week to find a movie and get it shipped to me. Of course there's always illegal online sources, but I prefer physical copies so I can watch them in my home movie theater

or make sure the only movies selected are available on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Vid.

sounds good. I'm down. But I think 2 movies a month is good. If I don't own the movie and can't track it down locally, it could take up to a week to find a movie and get it shipped to me. Of course there's always illegal online sources, but I prefer physical copies so I can watch them in my home movie theater

or make sure the only movies selected are available on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Vid.

Okay, I believe you make six. How many people do you think to really make this viable?

As for only two movies a month, I guess there would be no rule that says every member has to participate every week.

Though if others also preferred a two-movies-per-month format then I guess we could go with that.

Speaking of ol' Henry, we should convince him to join our cause and then just make him watch movies like Fast and the Furious, The Mummy and Battleship every week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back