Could a re-launched International Fight League be successful?

Antix

Champion Cheeto Fingers
@Green
Reaction score
I never really caught the original IFL as it wasn’t aired in the UK at the time however I’ve read up a lot about it.

I do wonder whether there is any likelihood something like that being launched today would become successful?

NFL, Football(Soccer), Hockey, Basketball all have big followings because you have a team from an area near you that you can support / represent.

The idea of having a fight team named after towns/cities, with groups of MMA fighters going up against other MMA fighters representing their local team has the potential imo to be successful.

What do people think

i kinda liked the ifl, but the city/team angle was executed poorly... at best.

the only feasible way i see this happening is if it would essentially be gym-based (which some of the ifl teams basically were). but since the chute boxe - btt (and etc) produced decent rivalries/etc, it's a possible strategy/gimmick.

i kinda liked the ifl, but the city/team angle was executed poorly... at best.

the only feasible way i see this happening is if it would essentially be gym-based (which some of the ifl teams basically were). but since the chute boxe - btt (and etc) produced decent rivalries/etc, it's a possible strategy/gimmick.
Came here to say this lol. Quintet occasionally does camp-vs-camp and it makes BJJ a lot more watchable IMO. I would love to see it translate to MMA.

Loved IFL but it started getting confusing as teams would blur, is the team from a gym a state a country..

But yes it would work again just needs funding and clear lines on what composes a team member.

And a new promotion was building, before this pandemic on that...

MMA Pro League (CEO Hani Darwish and his partner Mark Taffet) fighters were to represent both their city and gym in bouts against competing teams across six different weight classes.

New Jersey team was to be coached by ex-UFC fighter Dan Miller their first battle was to be against Team Pennsylvania, coached by Daniel Gracie.

Hopefully this will still happen.

Loved IFL but it started getting confusing as teams would blur, is the team from a gym a state a country..

But yes it would work again just needs funding and clear lines on what composes a team member.

And a new promotion was building, before this pandemic on that...

MMA Pro League (CEO Hani Darwish and his partner Mark Taffet) fighters were to represent both their city and gym in bouts against competing teams across six different weight classes.

New Jersey team was to be coached by ex-UFC fighter Dan Miller their first battle was to be against Team Pennsylvania, coached by Daniel Gracie.

Hopefully this will still happen.
Mma pro league died on their genesis. Horrible event

It would work if it had 1994 pancrase rules and used a mix of talented youngsters and legends like Ken Shamrock and Tito Ortiz

another unified rules MMA ORG isnt needed in the market

I wonder whether instead of championship Belts for weight classes you instead have a league table.

So like other team sports you pick up points for each win and they go towards the teams points total on the team league table. Team with the most wins / points at the end of the season wins the championship as a team.

Throw in the mix a tournament style set up for teams to compete for a cup during the season as well would be great.

That surely has to be the set up if you’re running it as a team sport rather than individual sport like other MMA promotions. I’d do away with the belts for this set up.

That is the thing, even a horrible event I would still want to see it, as I lived in Pennsylvania just to cheer them on. anywhere I can see it????
Prelims were free on fite and the main card was on Flo grappling

I don't see why not with the right promoter... Blackzillians vs ATT was probably the best... recent year TUF and had a pretty decent format.
Huh?

The format where winning a fight meant nothing, and multiple guys who won fights on the season were not permitted to fight again? (Banks/Firmino)

The format where the determination of who would fight in the finals was completely arbitrary?

No on a team based MMA league but yes on what the PFL is doing. They're a long ways away from profitability but their concept is good. Team based MMA doesn't interest many fans imo

Who knows, all I know is copy cating the UFC doesn't get you very far.

8 teams of 4 (HWT, 185, 155, 145) have their fighters in a tournament style bracket.

Winners, and performance scores points for their team.

Tournaments winners get prize money, team with highest points share prize money.

No one day tournaments, fights are scheduled 3 months apart, injuries/missed weights are forfeited matches.

Lets start with that.

That song is fooking immortal. We need a freestyle battle, Lindland vs Miletich.
We all know the GOAT fight org song

supafiteleague.gif

Back