Could a fighter wear goggles?

324619200-07093911.JPG

4-year bump, but was inspired by this story from today: https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id/27850706/danger-mma-problem-eye-pokes

What if the goggles were NOT hard plastic, but rather a soft, mildly flexible, thin layer of plastic (that didn't tear). This would still prevent a finger from going deep into the eye, without giving the fighter unwarranted protection from traditional strikes to the eye, or creating a seal, or shattering when it got hit. As for fog/sweat/blood, there are good hydrophobic coatings (each NeverWet) that prevent that stuff from sticking -- it rolls right off.

When i cut my eye i tried training with sports googles and they don't work. no matter how tight you have them, they come off as soon as you clinch and start using your head. Rolling's the same.

Only one way it could happen. If the goggles were curved and heavily padded so it doesn't injure the one wearing it. Because that area would certainly be hit. You don't want the 'frame' to cut the fighter who's wearing it. I'm sure they can design one to fit the fighters face. It has to be curved and hug the face like a great fitting glove. The curved goggle would allow great peripheral vision as well.

Many years ago, Detroit Pistons Hamilton wore a clear plastic face mask in NBA. MMA could try something like that but with the plastic mask having vented bubbles over the eyes for protection.

If by some miracle they come up with some eye covering that protects the eye, doesn't pose any risk of breaking or being driven back into the socket, and is going to stay in place reasonably well (mouthpieces come out sometimes but it's not a major issue), then of course everyone would be on board.

In the meantime, they could fix the gloves like people have been saying for what seems like a decade now. Referees can take a point every time no matter what, like the article says. The "losing a point means losing the fight" argument doesn't hold up now that they're not so stingy about 10-8 rounds. Maybe that needs to go father. Maybe a 10-8 is the new 10-9 and a 10-9 is reserved for extremely close rounds. Serious beatdowns can be 10-7.

They would steam up and you'd be worse off than not having eyes. Or someone would punch through them and drive plastic into your retina. Better off learning the Stooges Defense

Back