Could a boxer take Kyokushin bare knuckle body punching from the get go?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Say the dude goes straight from boxing to kyokushin - hands only, bare knuckled full contact sparring. Is his body conditioned for that type of fighting too by virtue of boxing, or does it require specific knuckle to bone conditioning first?

I was curious to try out but better ask here first:cool:

Btw, the first international Kyokushin style tournament held (it was called Full Contact Karate) did have boxers participate, but i don't know how much, if any, bare knuckle preperation they had.

It was an open style tournament, within the rules of Kyokushin...

I would assume it would depend on the boxer and the person delivering the punch

It would probably require preparation for a boxer...but I thought you were like TKD or something...

Any way the biggest issue I think boxers would have is not having the support of gloves and wraps, so would probably need to put in some extra work focusing on their alignment when they punch.

It would probably require preparation for a boxer...but I thought you were like TKD or something...

Any way the biggest issue I think boxers would have is not having the support of gloves and wraps, so would probably need to put in some extra work focusing on their alignment when they punch.

I have trained boxing too.

I

I didn't ask how they would do, I asked if they could take the punches based on their boxing pedigry. Anybody with half a brain know that they would lose in such rule sets.

Well if they didn’t take time to work on their alignment when punching I think they’d fake poorly due to injuring themselves.

Theoretically gloves allow us to hit harder so the boxer would likely be used to taking hits with more force behind them, but the gloves spread the force over a wide area whereas bare knuckle focuses the force into a smaller area.

I've sparred bare-knuckle with Kyokushin guys before & did just fine. I think plenty of boxers could do the same as well. Not all, of course, but quite a few who aren't squeamish about the whole bare-knuckle thing. It didn't bother me because I originally come from a TMA background ( I trained in Isshin-Ryu, Judo & TKD for four years before becoming a boxer ) & I always spent time conditioning my fists/hands & forearms once I switched over. I always felt that doing so helped me develop a stiffer jab & helped with my hooks & uppercuts.
Anyhow, I always did well against Kyokushin fighters because of my left hook to the liver. For some reason, none of the guys that I worked with had an answer to it.

I've sparred bare-knuckle with Kyokushin guys before & did just fine. I think plenty of boxers could do the same as well. Not all, of course, but quite a few who aren't squeamish about the whole bare-knuckle thing. It didn't bother me because I originally come from a TMA background ( I trained in Isshin-Ryu, Judo & TKD for four years before becoming a boxer ) & I always spent time conditioning my fists/hands & forearms once I switched over. .

if you had past experiences with it it obviously doesn't count, since I asked about pure boxers.

Last edited:
but the gloves spread the force over a wide area whereas bare knuckle focuses the force into a smaller area.

Exactly, so couldn't this result in the boxer starting to squirm within a few punches? He is isn't used to that type of impact. Add to that Kyokushin guys VERY hard punches.

I boxed before starting kyokushin and if your used to sparring you will be fine.

The sensation is a tad different getting hit with a boxing glove compaired to bareknuckles. They only way I can describe it is grinding and penetrating at the same time. Probably due to a few smaller impact points i.e. the knuckles compared to a larger glove that spreads the force.

Punching really isn't different, but since you are used to hand wraps start slow with makiwara board. It's the rope wrapped piece of wood for your knuckles also knuckle pushup on wood etc. Also I hit the heavy bag lightly with proper form and increase the power to find out how well your wrists hold up.

Boxing glove by a long mile I rather get hit with. Easier to block. Without gloves easier to sneak shots in, especially at the liver which anyone who has had their liver tapped can attest to. A good dig with the knuckles in the floating ribs is very unpleasant, or straight in the sternum.

Last edited:
Honestly this should be a no-brainer. Boxers take more powerful and better body shots than the kyokushin karatekas.

Say the dude goes straight from boxing to kyokushin - hands only, bare knuckled full contact sparring. Is his body conditioned for that type of fighting too by virtue of boxing, or does it require specific knuckle to bone conditioning first?

I was curious to try out but better ask here first:cool:

In short, the answer is no.
It would depend on the fighter but gloves takes alot of the power away and distributes it differently.
Of course punching the head harder is possible with gloves, but to the body it is reversed, punching bare knuckle can be done much harder than with gloves.

Even to the head, look at how Hendricks folded with a barekbuckle punch to the face whereas he was known for his resiliance with gloves.

The punches will dig in more and be concentrated to the body.
Most boxers could likely adapt but it would take a while to get used to.

Some TMA Karate guys and those who condition the body in other traditional arts can probably take a bare knuckle body shot better than alot of boxers.

And of course punching and wrist conditioning also needed as others gave mentioned.

I would rather get kicked super hard in the stomach by a heavy, soft leg , than jabbed hard by a rock.

I see it all the time in kyokushin.

Spacetime, they don't focus on punching though. they're main weapons are straight a's punchs and kicks. Boxers get hit harder than a straight punch from a kyokushin karateka.

Back