Couch Potato *Yet Another Workout Critique*

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by nkfpanda, Jan 13, 2015.

1. nkfpanda

nkfpanda White Belt

Well, I have just finished my second knee surgery in 3 months for torn meniscus and I am going crazy. Normally I do BJJ 3 times a week and lift 2 times but I have been injured and the only thing I have been getting better at is increasing my Lbs.

I am not entirely sure how the injuries happened but I attribute them to genetics and grappling. For whatever reason I have never had a problem Thai Boxing (trained for a few years).

My current goals are all rehab oriented but I am literally stuck on a couch because of having surgery yesterday. I have posted a routine because 1. It is exciting to even think about working out again (as people who have been injured know) and 2. I have received great advice on here just through the FAQ and random threads.

My goals are to get a good strength base, have a strong anaerobic and cardiovascular system and get my Thai Boxing technique up to par again.

Day 1:
    Bench 5x5, Squat 5x5, Power Clean 5x5, Pull Ups 3x Until Failure,
    Ab Work and Assistance: Crunches, Russian Twists, Ab Wheel Rollouts, Leg Lifts, Planks, Bodyweight Back Extensions

Day 2:
    Thai Boxing or WC 101 by Ross Training:
    20 Min Circuit/ 5x Pull Ups 10x Medicine Ball Slams 15x Burpees 20x Jumping Jacks
    1.5 Mile Run

Day 3:
    20 Min Circuit/ 5x Pull Ups 10x Medicine Ball Slams 15x Burpees 20x Jumping Jacks
    1.5 Mile Run or 15 Mins of Swimming

Day 4:
    OHP 5x5, Squat 5x5, Deadlift 3x5, Rows 3x8, Pushups 2x Until Failure
    Ab Work and Assistance: Crunches, Russian Twists, Ab Wheel Rollouts, Leg Lifts, Planks,

Day 5:
    1.5 Mile Run

I feel like there is a good mix of strength and conditioning with 2 rest days a week. The Thai Boxing will be 1-3 times a week as it just depends on timing and schedule. If there is not Boxing then I will do WC 101 and go for a 1.5 mile run.

Any recommendations for adding any exercises or taking away from my current list? How does it look?

2. nkfpanda

nkfpanda White Belt

Bump*
    I was thinking about adding in box jumps before my squats. Does anyone else do this?

3. Thunderkopf

Thunderkopf Lol, wut. Banned

Take a day or two off between Day 3 and Day 4 and between Day 5 and Day 1. Work Capacity 101 is a brutal workout and you'll need ample time to recover before squatting or deadlifting. And personally, I would bump the set/rep scheme from 5 x 5 down to 3 x 5 because that's a lot of volume you've got there.

Unless you can squat 1.5x your bodyweight, I wouldn't mix in any form of plyometric training with your program.

4. Ice 9 Cobra

Ice 9 Cobra Black Belt

Have you actually done this schedule multiple weeks in a row? Doesn't seem very sustainable

5. nkfpanda

nkfpanda White Belt

Thanks for the advice guys. I used to do a very similar routine. I could squat 1.5 my body weight before the knee surgeries. My deadlift was only 315 though. WC 101 is intense but atleast for me a 1.5 Muay thai session is usually more gruelling. Because of strength training two days a week I was hoping to have 3 intense conditioning days a week atleast. I'll take your advice though and separate the liftinga days with rest days or active rest days.