Cotto Martinez RBR

Always thought Martinez was nothing special other than that he was a Southpaw with good hand and foot speed....He looked very beatable in most of his recent fights as well.

I was shocked at how accurate/good Cotto looked against a Southpaw....Since he looked like total poop against Trout (Southpaw) and I figured he would be improved under Roach, but still have some of those same problems against a Left Hander...

i repeat, 2010 Martinez beats any version of Miguel Cotto. You can't take a performance from 2014 Martinez and use that to say I'm wrong lol

Nah. There's nothing you can say to support that statement.

You guys c'mon. I thought Maravilla would dominate but give Cotto his credit. That was amazing.

i repeat, 2010 Martinez beats any version of Miguel Cotto. You can't take a performance from 2014 Martinez and use that to say I'm wrong lol

Nah, styles make fights. Martinez is a small middleweight and Cotto always fights well against pure boxers. Cotto would give problems to Martinez from any year.

Yeah, that's right. I thought that fight changed him a lot, especially what he did when he was under fire from then on. Seemed more prone to panic when hurt. Before this he was pretty cool and would cover and move, after it he was a little more deer in the headlights.

It really did. Ever since the first Margs fight I've expected Cotto to crumble whenever he got hurt. The link up with Roach has begun to change that for me.

Nah, styles make fights. Martinez is a small middleweight and Cotto always fights well against pure boxers. Cotto would give problems to Martinez from any year.

Cotto has never struggled with guys who bring similar styles to Sergio into the ring. Quintana and Zab come to mind.

Cotto has had a funny career. He was THE rising star for a long while until he ran into Margarito, a fight which almost ruined him. People seem to forget how amazing he was when he came on the scene and was just handling people. He was almost like Rigondeaux in how masterful his boxing was. When he started getting pulled into brawls it changed how he was perceived a lot.

Agreed.

I seem to remember he was in line to get a shot at DLH if he had beaten Marg. Instead he lost and Pac fought DLH which pretty much lead to super stardom for Pac.

Cotto has never struggled with guys who bring similar styles to Sergio into the ring. Quintana and Zab come to mind.

Yeah, those guys got bludgeoned into submission. Outside of Trout, Cotto's only shown vulnerability to strong pressure fighters.

Winning the lineal middleweight title is a huge achievement. I'm starting to wonder where Cotto ranks historically among his fellow Puerto Ricans. He's making a strong case for himself.

Winning the lineal middleweight title is a huge achievement. I'm starting to wonder where Cotto ranks historically among his fellow Puerto Ricans. He's making a strong case for himself.

He has done more than Tito IMO.

Nah. There's nothing you can say to support that statement.

sergio wasn't busted up with injuries in 2010. that supports my statement. also in 2010 sergio was still one year older than cotto is now.

Checkmate.

People looking at this fight and thinking Cotto exposed Martinez is like people thinking Tarver exposed Jones. We just got an old busted up Martinez in there and Cotto executed what he would never have been able to execute against Martinez if they fought in 2010. Even you weren't really sure what was going to happen, you said Cotto would win by decision, instead it was totally one sided with a TKO finish. But it wasn't a finish because a fighter got exposed, it was just a case of one fighter coming in busted up.

That about wraps up this discussion. I will let you have the last word even though I know you will probably be wrong :wink:

I don't see why you couldn't argue that he's accomplished as much or more than Benitez, Ortiz and Gomez.

Cotto is officially back!

He never left. Faced some bad stylistic matchups and some outstanding fighters. He's past his prime but still good enough to smash the #1 160-pounder.

I don't think Floyd would move up past 150 again nor would Cotto go back down after winning the championship but who knows?

They would both come in light, 155 at the most for each. Still style makes fights and Cotto can't beat Floyd even with roach in his corner. It would be closer than the first bout but still see Floyd winning at least 116-112

Their were far too many questions needing asked in this fight to give someone shit for their prediction.

Oh hell no. Don't take this away from me now. Besides, I agree with you, and that's what makes my correct prediction that much sweeter. I will gloat and savor this as much as I want.

Cotto destroyed Sergio as I so accurately predicted. Maravilla should have never taken this fight.

Back