Cotto/Martinez possibly June 7th

Only with dem mma gloves brah.

WY3lX.gif

good fight if they make it.

I'd rather see Canelo - Cotto @ 154, but this is a great second place prize

IMO - clear win for Sergio. smart business for Sergio as well. Cotto is a big name who can draw really well in certain cities but is naturally smaller and has lost all of his recent fights against elite competition

Seano, none if those punches landed except on his shoulder and the one on the back of his neck. C'mon man, you can't complain about others bias' when you do this. I get you don't like Sergio but this is silly.
Looks like that straight right to open the sequence lands to me.
Sergio turned into that last punch, that was his fault. Should have been a KD.

Seano, none if those punches landed except on his shoulder and the one on the back of his neck. C'mon man, you can't complain about others bias' when you do this. I get you don't like Sergio but this is silly.

The punch only landed on the back of his head because he bent over (didn't want to say he ducked because that would suggest proper form). That should totally be a KD.

So Cotto got hurt in a fight a few years ago, so he can't beat Sergio? Martinez got dropped twice in his last fight.

You think Martinez would beat Pac?

Some of you seem like you haven't seen how faded Martinez appeared to be against Murray.

Paul Williams "took the fight" to Martinez for 14 rounds and how did he fare? It's not that Cotto was hurt in ONE fight, it's that he tends to fade in A LOT of his longer fights and I don't see how he's going to take Martinez out quickly.
I get that Martinez is fading, but so is Cotto and one fight against that type of opponent doesn't really change that for me. If you're looking at past fights, at the end of the day Martinez has won all his fights against bigger opponents while Cotto has done so-so against smaller opponents.

http://www.boxingscene.com/sergio-martinez-sit-down-with-pope-francis--70394

New York, NY - Next Wednesday, Middleweight Champion and pound-for-pounder Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez will have the opportunity of a lifetime when he sits down one-on-one with Pope Francis. The meeting between the two Argentineans will take place at the Vatican, and will mark the first time a professional fighter has had a one-on-one closed session meeting with the Pope since Muhammad Ali.

Martinez, who intends to speak about his anti-bullying and domestic violence against women campaigns, is absolutely ecstatic about the meeting.

"In the past couple of months, I will have had two of my dreams as a Catholic come true, to visit the Basilica of our Lady Guadalupe in Mexico and to be received by the Pope. I will be asking the Pope for blessings and spiritual protection to all of those who enter the ring," said Martinez.

"In his short time as leader of the Catholic Church, this gentle Pope from Argentina has already changed the dialogue of his people. I am thrilled that Sergio will have a private audience with Pope Francis and that he will be able to discuss his campaigns against bullying and domestic violence," said promoter Lou DiBella.

"Sergio Martinez continues to make history in our sport by having this historic meeting with Pope Francis. I'm very happy for Sergio, because as the great champion and great person that he is, he has earned this tremendous opportunity and honor of having this meeting," said longtime advisor Sampson Lewkowicz.

"Sergio's passion to help out people in need and who are down on their luck has truly exemplified the fact that you do not need to act brash or lack any tact in order for people to respect you in the boxing world. He is a great role model for young athletes around the world," added Nathan Lewkowicz, V.P. of Sampson Boxing.

Sergio will be accompanied to the meeting by longtime business manager Miguel De Pablos and Victor Gonzales, who was instrumental in the organization and staging of Martinez's last middleweight title defense in front of 50,000+ adoring Argentineans earlier this year. Sergio will be presenting the Pope with a special edition WBC green belt, with a picture of Pope Francis as well as the flag of the Vatican.

The Pope's prayers won't help him against Cotto.

Nobody could get to that level of Sexy without a deity's blessing. Fact.

Great decision in the first one.

Is this sarcasm? I can't tell with you sometimes.

It was only controversial because of the one ridiculous score.

No, Bradley was hurt there and if Provodnikov hadn't leaned on Bradley, it would have been a KD. Bradley fell again after that. There was no clean KD there.

Sheesh, what a great call by the ref there. Its so rare to see that in boxing.

I agree. Bradley was badly hurt there, no doubt but that wasn't a legal KD.

According to Roach they're aiming for a catch-weight of 158 lbs.

LOL @ anyone here thinking Cotto walks through Martinez.

Seriously this. The fnck is wrong with people ? An undersized 154lber going to 160 is going to walk through Martinez ? People have lost their mind. I like Cotto , but lets be realistic here.

They were 1-1 in their series of fights, so moderately well.

Paul Williams who throws about twice as many punches as Cotto, had an iron chin, and clearly wasn't an undersized 160 like Cotto will be, and even then he barely won the first fight.
No way Cotto takes the punishment Williams did to win the first Martinez fight. I really don't like Martinez but he'll finish Cotto if they fight, I'd rather see Cotto fight Canelo who I think he has a chance against.

I don't know. I heard them saying Martinez vs Lee was in the works. We usually know how this works. They throw out a big name for a fight then announce it was actually the warm up they were planning on all along.

Back