Cotto/Martinez possibly June 7th

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=70359#ixzz2h5RpTEzt
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

Cotto vs. Martinez Bout Eyed For PR Day Parade Weekend
Posted by: Mike Coppinger on 10/7/2013 .

By Mike Coppinger

LOS ANGELES -- Miguel Cotto returned Saturday with a demolition job on Delvin Rodriguez. He looked great under the tutelage of Freddie Roach, which pique the interest of observers in a big fight for Cotto in 2014.

One fight that was mentioned as a possibility for Cotto, according to BoxingScene.com's David Greisman, is a match with middleweight champion Sergio Martinez.

At Monday's media brunch to promoter Tim Bradley-Juan Manuel Marquez, Top Rank CEO Bob Arum informed BoxingScene.com that a potential Martinez-Cotto bout could take place at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, N.J. -- the home of the New York Jets and New York Giants.

"That's where we would want to do it. At MetLife Stadium, it would be big for 30 or 40,000 people," Arum told BoxingScene.com. "On the Saturday before the Sunday of the Puerto Rican (Day) Parade."

"We're going to sit with Miguel and talk to him about future fights," Arum added. "Miguel is coming in to Vegas for the Marquez-Bradley fight."

The Saturday before the Sunday of the Puerto Rican Day Parade would place a proposed Martinez-Cotto fight on June 7, 2014. Cotto is no stranger to fighting on the eve of the Puerto Rican Day Parade in the New York area. He's done it fives times, including bouts against Zab Judah, Paulie Malignaggi and Joshua Clottey.

Arum said that Top Rank president Todd duBoef's relationship with Giants chairman and executive vice president Steve Tisch would make a deal for the fight at MetLife Stadium easy to make.

"Todd duBuoef is very, very close with Steve Tisch," Arum said. "They're very close friends."

Day after my birthday. I will watch Cotto beat up Martinez.

Day after my birthday. I will watch Cotto beat up Martinez.

Heh, well, I believe they can both hurt each other. I'm torn to be honest. I didn't see Cotto's recent fight. How hungry does he look?

Nice stay busy fight for Cotto.

Heh, well, I believe they can both hurt each other. I'm torn to be honest. I didn't see Cotto's recent fight. How hungry does he look?

He looked good against a guy known for being tough and going rounds.

Wonder how Cotto will deal with the 6lb gain. It's not much obviously, but this is a guy who started his career at 140 and isn't an especially big 154 let alone 160. Sergio is gonna have a legitimate size advantage on him.

That being said it's hard to have too much confidence in Sergio considering both guys' last performances. Sergio looked terrible and Cotto looked like the old 140lb killer that scared the shit out of everyone. Delvin doesn't get destroyed like that, say what you want about Roach but he's a great offensive trainer. Defense on the other hand.....

Fun fight, really thought he was gonna fight Canelo next.

I see a lot of people under the spell of "you only look as good as your last fight"

Hard to ignore it though, Slim. Cotto looked better than he has in years and Sergio is constantly injured and eeked out a win against somebody who should've been beaten soundly.

Hard to ignore it though, Slim. Cotto looked better than he has in years and Sergio is constantly injured and eeked out a win against somebody who should've been beaten soundly.

I agree with you. I'm not ignoring anything. I was as happy as a pig in shit when Cotto took out Delvin. I'm telling you, I'm torn here. I don't wanna see either guy lose.

I think Cotto has a very good chance of stopping Martinez here.

Martinez age is showing with all these injuries. I think Cotto takes it fairly easily.

Sergio is clutch he does great in big fights. Now give him a slight size advantage and 8 months to rehab/recover, all sound like a great advantage(not to mention speed/quickness). It'll be a great fight though and one i can see having a rematch or even a trilogy, which is something Sergio needs to cap off his career. I will be hoping very much for this fight to be made

LOL @ anyone here thinking Cotto walks through Martinez.

Wow, all the way in June. Martinez is no spring chicken and by the time the fight happens I'll have to give the edge to Cotto. So chances are Cotto won't fight again until June of next year?

meh , i'd like a martinez vs may fight .

Sergio would take Cotto serious and he would be motivated. I'd say Martinez by dancing circles and outboxing Cotto. Martinez at his best is no punching bag that Cotto can just walk down and land body shots on.

Of course, that's a big IF

Back