Cotto/Martinez - June 7 - MSG

Obvious bias is obvious.At least I admit I just don't care for Sergio.

I don't have a favorite here. They are both two if my top favorite fighters right now. Probably within the top 3 or 4. I just think Sergio will win. Doesn't mean I hate Cotto. I won't be making excuses either way. May the sexier man win. But you're setting yourself up for some serious crow. Just sayin.

I think sexy wins wide, seano can call me out on it in 10 months.

The one thing that was giving me pause about picking Cotto was Cotto at middleweight but after seeing pics of them next to each other, I see no more of a size difference than Cotto and the majority of his recent opponents.

I really don't see why Sergio is the favorite in this one. He's been shelved with injuries for months after both of his last 2 fights. Hit the floor multiple times in both fights and is wearing a knee brace into the ring this saturday.

I heard Sergio saying something about Cotto not beating an "A" side fighter. What A side fighter did Sergio ever beat? Paul Williams? Please. His best win is over a used up MW with a drinking problem.

Sergio wouldn't beat Floyd or Pac. Both guys lost to Margarito but Cotto avenged his loss and was far more competitve than Sergio was.

He barely beat Martin Murray, a guy no where near Cotto's level.

Again, Sergio has proved me wrong before but there are 0 advantages I see for Sergio looking at this fight on paper.

The one thing that was giving me pause about picking Cotto was Cotto at middleweight but after seeing pics of them next to each other, I see no more of a size difference than Cotto and the majority of his recent opponents.

I really don't see why Sergio is the favorite in this one. He's been shelved with injuries for months after both of his last 2 fights. Hit the floor multiple times in both fights and is wearing a knee brace into the ring this saturday.

I heard Sergio saying something about Cotto not beating an "A" side fighter. What A side fighter did Sergio ever beat? Paul Williams? Please. His best win is over a used up MW with a drinking problem.

Sergio wouldn't beat Floyd or Pac. Both guys lost to Margarito but Cotto avenged his loss and was far more competitve than Sergio was.

He barely beat Martin Murray, a guy no where near Cotto's level.

Again, Sergio has proved me wrong before but there are 0 advantages I see for Sergio looking at this fight on paper.

You sound as confident as I was when I was predicting Ruslan would not only defeat Alvarado but destroy him...

You should follow suit as puo3 and drop some money on cotto.

There are times where I'm so certain the odds are wrong...

Like Alvarado vs Ruslan, and Bradley vs jmm.

You sound as confident as I was when I was predicting Ruslan would not only defeat Alvarado but destroy him...

Hey, I admit, I don't get why Sergio doesn't have a string of losses on his record. He does something I don't see apparently.

I'm a fan of a technical boxer. I like guys with textbook boxing ability. Sergio is not that sort of fighter and while I respect the man for fighting his ass off, I really don't appreciate his style or enjoy watching it and thats because he does so many things "wrong."

I also feel like people describe him as something he's not. Over the years I've heard people talk about his great footwork, when in reality his footwork is a mess and gets him in trouble time and again.

I hear people talking about his huge power, based on stopping a guy who I legitimately feel had the worst defensive skills of any high level fighter I've ever seen.

Now I hear how Sergio is going to beat him up inside like Tony did.

I just don't see Cotto walking into a big shot like Williams. I think Cotto is too skilled for what Sergio brings to the table offensively. Sergio telegraphs his shots and I don't believe he's EVER fought a guy with the ability of Cotto.

Yeah if people like Cotto they should drop some coin on him. Even if you're not a gambler, just toss like 10 bucks on Cotto (he's +185 on 5d) if you really like him that much. From a gambling perspective even if you see this as a tossup, the line is only giving him a like a 31% chance to pull off the win so that's some good value.

I have a bet on Sergio itd at +300 since I think that's the way he'll win more times than not, but if you like Cotto, especially as much as some of the people in this section do, then it's almost a must to at least throw a few dollars on that line.

I understand that some of you guys aren't gamblers but I can't imagine favoring somebody this much and not jumping on a line that good. Calling a fight correctly is fun and makes you feel good, but calling a fight correctly AND winning a little money on top of it is even better.

Hey, I admit, I don't get why Sergio doesn't have a string of losses on his record. He does something I don't see apparently.

I'm a fan of a technical boxer. I like guys with textbook boxing ability. Sergio is not that sort of fighter and while I respect the man for fighting his ass off, I really don't appreciate his style or enjoy watching it and thats because he does so many things "wrong."

I also feel like people describe him as something he's not. Over the years I've heard people talk about his great footwork, when in reality his footwork is a mess and gets him in trouble time and again.

I hear people talking about his huge power, based on stopping a guy who I legitimately feel had the worst defensive skills of any high level fighter I've ever seen.

Now I hear how Sergio is going to beat him up inside like Tony did.

I just don't see Cotto walking into a big shot like Williams. I think Cotto is too skilled for what Sergio brings to the table offensively. Sergio telegraphs his shots and I don't believe he's EVER fought a guy with the ability of Cotto.

Personally....I change my mind...I wasn't going to wager on this fight because I love both fighters and emotions often conflict with logic..

But this should be a 50/50 fight...

Serg should not be a 2 to 1 favorite...

I'm placing a small wager on cotto.

trout is SP yes. judah is, what are the other good SP's he has fought? corley is i think

I learned some things after watching this... It's not gonna be as easy for Sergio as I thought it would be.

Somewhat unrelated but I think this is a forgotten fight.

At the risk of using some boxing math, this is a guy Cotto destroyed vs one of Sergio's best wins.

Interesting if for no other reason than to see Quintana landing that same shot that put Williams to sleep.

No real point to this other than to show the similarities in opponent.

Somewhat unrelated but I think this is a forgotten fight.

At the risk of using some boxing math, this is a guy Cotto destroyed vs one of Sergio's best wins.

Interesting if for no other reason than to see Quintana landing that same shot that put Williams to sleep.

No real point to this other than to show the similarities in opponent.

And Quintana got destroyed in the rematch in one round.

Your post reminds me a little bit something Mayorga said in press conference, in fact he was taunting him because aparently he got slap for that.

But i would take anything Mayorga say in press conference with more than a grain of salt.

Right. That's one of the reasons I kinda believe it- my friend is Puerto Rican and I was expecting him to ride Cotto's jock. But he actually dislikes him, just for that reason.

Anyway, I still like Cotto well enough. I just think Martinez will be too much for him. Too big, too fast.

I'm with seano here. The more I think about this fight the more I favor Cotto. Cotto is my favorite fighter so I may be biased but I was worried initially because of the height difference, being Miguel's first fight at 160 and the seeming stylistic advantage for Sergio. But Sergio's style isn't something that's really new to Cotto. Sergio may try to dictate the range and pace with his jab and footwork, but Sergio's footwork is pretty shoddy and he's gotten away with it because of his speed and athleticism. As for the jab, Cotto has a really good jab himself. The height and reach disparity isn't as large as I thought either. If I was a Martinez fan, his injuries would worry me as well.

Back