Cotto Canelo Canceled

Lol at blaming Floyd.

Hope hope the can still salvage the fight. Canelo trying to call shots, Cotto thinks he's a boss. Fuck, cmon guys.

What's the chances of Floyd vs Cotto 2

I was so hopeful for 2015. And now the beginning of a long series of disappointments has commenced. Maybe I'll start watching Antiques Roadshow instead.

I will forgive Cotto if he fights Gennady in June at MSG for Puerto Rican parade, otherwise I'd hate to accuse a warrior and future HOFer Cotto as ducking, but it seems like it.........................

Say it ain't so.................

@danrafaelespn

With no Cotto-Canelo, it's that much more obvious there won't be Floyd-Manny. As I've said before: See ya in Vegas 5/2 for Floyd-Cotto 2.

More ppl from both sides coming out, hopefully it can still be salvaged.

Earlier today, Golden Boy President Oscar De La Hoya broke the news to BoxingScene.com that a proposed fight between Saul 'Canelo' Alvarez and Miguel Cotto for May 2nd was no longer on the table.

Todd duBoef, the president of Top Rank - who have a close relationship with the Puerto Rican star - told BoxingScene.com:

''(Oscar) obviously can say that on behalf of 'Canelo' so that's fine. If Canelo and (Oscar), they don't want to move forward with other things then let them move forward with other things."

As of Friday, it was believed that this fight was still being negotiated.

"Cotto and his guys said there was a proposition on the table and they said they'd get back to everybody on Tuesday when they were together. If that's not acceptable, then it's not acceptable," said duBoef.

Gaby Penagaricano, Cotto's legal adviser, told BoxingScene.com:

"I spoke with Oscar last night, he said there was pressure on him from Canelo and they needed to move on. That's fine, we have no problem with that. Oscar spoke to you about deadlines, but this is not about deadlines. This is about two sides reaching a deal. They were moving in the direction we wanted but they didn't get there. We didn't reach a deal. There are no hard feelings," Penagaricano said.

Golden Boy and Alvarez had reached out for other options in the past couple of weeks, namely James Kirkland, as a contingency plan. It's not clear what Cotto does moving forward. Some are speculating that he could fight again on Puerto Rican Day parade weekend in early June in New York, as he has done in the past - and Penagaricano said that scenario was an option.

http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=86434

Cotto is being smart here. Canelo and De La Hoya made a huge deal about taking the May 2nd date back. Now they look stupid because Mayweather vs Pacquiao is the closest its ever been to being made for that date and they'll have to back down. Cotto is smart to weigh his options.

I think Raf's just trying to paint it out like Floyd is ducking Manny

Does it need painting?

How will all you conspiracy theorists react if its revealed that Floyd scuppered this fight but still fights Khan on May 2?

Wouldn't be shocked to see may-cotto 2 tbh

I will say though seeing this thread is better than seeing "Mayweather Pacquiao canceled". At least that's stil going.

Still bummed though.

It's posted on ESPN and confirmed by Oscar and GBP. Canelo stated he was tired of waiting for Cotto to sign the contract. The last deadline has passed without a word from the Cotto camp. Cotto has also been contacted by the Mayweather camp.

Canelo is still fighting an opponent on May 2nd. They will announce a new opponent soon. The reason Canelo left Showtime was because he did not want his career to be over shadowed by Mayweather's schedule.

Cotto is waiting around in case Mayweather decides not to fight Manny. Cotto has a middleweight title which is attractive for Mayweather and would give him his 6th world title in a different weight class.

The reality is that Mayweather has even less pressure to fight Manny with Cotto being "available." I would not be surprised if it's Mayweather vs Cotto 2 for May 2nd. Welcome to the modern era of boxing where padding records and bank accounts is more important than finding out who is really the best.

Last edited:
Rafael would never do that. He's got integrity.

I don't buy all of Seano's "Rafael's on HBO's payroll" bullshit. Rafael's a a biased journalist, they exist, get over it.

With that said, he's picking his side quite clearly and not being objective or even subtle about it, something which isn't very professional.

Back