Costa Mesa/AOJ

I think if you are spending the $$$ to attend a World's camp, you should be warmly greeted and made to feel at home. Afterall, this isn't a standard class drop in, this is significantly more expensive, and many people will have presumably flown in to attend (incurring even more costs).

Having said that, I wouldnt be offended if it wasn't the most friendly environment either. If you are going to survive in BJJ and stick with it for many years, you should have developed a thicker skin already.

I think many people pay for a Worlds camp and have the wrong expectations. Yes, it is significantly more expensive than a standard drop in but, you are paying to train and use their facilities, have access to high level instruction (note I did not say coaching), and hard rolling with other talented competitors. You are not going there to be pampered and treated like royalty. You're paying for higher level and HARDER than standard training at your home school. Of course you should be warmly greeted when you get there, etc but how do they make you feel at home especially when they need to run a large class like toothless king said? They aren't going to go out fo their way for that. If you walk up and introduce yourself to them, I'm sure you'll be greeted back warmly and not cold shouldered in a rude manner.

I've heard stories from plenty of people who either train at AOJ currently, trained there for an extended period of time previously, and visitors of the weird stuff that happens there. However none of it ever seemed too bad and it was more or less the same shit that happens at every academy.

Creepers, Cliques, hero worship, unwelcome feeling, stupid rules, etc.

I did however hear some story of the Ruotolo twins dad getting stabbed in the parking lot or something to that effect. I am not saying it is true, simply something that I heard.

I also find it funny that they drop storm after cobrina sign with them. Selfish for righteous Christians.. and if they really fired their instructor for not shaving.. didn't Jesus have a beard ? Lol

Had nothing to do with Cobrinha.

I also find it funny that they drop storm after cobrina sign with them. Selfish for righteous Christians.. and if they really fired their instructor for not shaving.. didn't Jesus have a beard ? Lol

Or maybe Shoyoroll offers Mendes Bros a better contract?

Or maybe Shoyoroll offers Mendes Bros a better contract?

Sure, just found the timing of them switching company questionable The Mendes bros were with storm for a while.

Once cobrina was signed, they jumped ship.

Sure, just found the timing of them switching company questionable The Mendes bros were with storm for a while.

what's wrong with jumping ship to a different sponsor who offers you a better contract? Isn't that how business works?

what's wrong with jumping ship to a different sponsor who offers you a better contract? Isn't that how business works?

The thing is we don't know if it was a better contract or not. We are both speculating.
You could be right and so can I.

The thing is we don't know if it was a better contract or not. We are both speculating.
You could be right and so can I.
speak for yourself.

Storm (when Mendes Bros were still sponsored by them) didn't give me anything when I signed a 1 year contract with AOJ. Shoyroll gave me a free $200 gi when I renewed my contract with AOJ.

speak for yourself.

Storm (when Mendes Bros were still sponsored by them) didn't give me anything when I signed a 1 year contract with AOJ. Shoyroll gave me a free $200 gi when I renewed my contract with AOJ.

I'm confused. Mendes said this ? If so, I really doubt that they left because the felt respected that they received a gi for free when they sign.

Looking for any excuse to justify switching brands.

speak for yourself.

Yeah but you're Nick the TOOTH bro! :icon_chee

Here you go rafa clone #262, enjoy this free white gi and a delicious cup of koolaid

I have no idea about switching sponsors and who really cares? That is their private business.

That said, I was part of a group that split a private lesson with them a few years ago and would not recommend it to others (some asked and shared my opinion). I have heard great things about the camps they put on from some people I know that attended though.

It obviously has nothing to do with their BJJ or their ability to share it because both are phenomenal. We arrived early and waited on the mats. The host of the gym and the two of them sat there (no other lessons or anything going on) and waited until our exact time started then let us on the mat and started. Of course this is not a complaint, as we paid for exactly 1 hour but certainly it is an observation which stood out compared to the other private lessons I had done in the past.

When we started, the technique we went over was phenomenal and helped a lot. The rolling was the strange part and why I would not recommend paying the large money they charge. Between the rounds, the one who was was not rolling (they wouldn't roll at the same time to get more rounds in) started the timer and then did something on the phone the whole round. In the rounds, I got tapped a bunch of times (as expected) but wasn't offered up any corrections or major errors and between rounds it was back to whatever was being done on the phone.

I found them both to be pleasant (I suppose at the rate per/hour they ought to be lol) but was quite disappointed with the level of effort put in when weight against the rate per hour they charged.

Please stop posting dumb ass whiny shit and take an intro class. Then come back and whine.

They give off a culty vibe. Not hating, just my observation.

Only culty thing I notice is everybody and their brother formats their instagram posts the same goddamn way, or they post paragraph about some lame as fuck picture. Other than that it's awesome lol

Once again, it had fuck all to do with Cobrinha. That was just a coincidence.

Back