Costa Mesa/AOJ

id like to pay a max of $1000 rent for a month.. is that possible? where and what would that get me?

You can rent a room for $1000/month including utilities in Costa Mesa.

An apartment in OC for $1000? No

LOL so you want to bring your family along with you and you have a budget of 1000 a month and want your own apartment?

Ya. Unrealistic. Lol. Why are you bringing your family along while you train? For $1000. ? Good job dad

I had a friend that went to the AOJ, for worlds camp. He paid $600 for the camp and left after 2 days. He said he could not handle weirdness that went on there.

Details man, details

Well for starters he said that he was not really welcomed at all. He felt that i you were A visitor that's all you were. That Rafa or gui didn't really talk to him at all.

He also said that almost everyone there looks like the Mendes brothers from the clothes to their hair cuts.

He mentioned that the kids instructor got fired because he would not shave his beard off.

They are trying to promote a clean image for the academy.

This is what he told me. I don't think he would lie because he was excited to go in the firstb place, he lost out on the money and training lol

Well for starters he said that he was not really welcomed at all. He felt that i you were A visitor that's all you were. That Rafa or gui didn't really talk to him at all.

He also said that almost everyone there looks like the Mendes brothers from the clothes to their hair cuts.

He mentioned that the kids instructor got fired because he would not shave his beard off.

This is what he told me. I don't think he would lie because he was excited to go in the firstb place, he lost out on the money and training lol

Ehh they have a uniform but a lot of BJJ placed are cult like.

Ehh they have a uniform but a lot of BJJ placed are cult like.

I also find it funny that they drop storm after cobrina sign with them. Selfish for righteous Christians.. and if they really fired their instructor for not shaving.. didn't Jesus have a beard ? Lol

Your friend sounds easily rattled.

Yeah that was underwhelming. I was hoping for something a little juicier. I would be annoyed if they were aloof and unfriendly, and weirded out by all the rafa clones, but that wouldn't be enough to forfeit a 600 dollar investment

LOL

I went there last year for a few days to train. First of all if your friend expected to be treated like he was royal, someone super special, or a regular student/training partner for spending money to attend a "Worlds" camp he's probably expecting too much. During my visit I didn't feel unwelcome. It was no different then dropping in any random gym other than the fact it was AOJ (a big name gym). I think your friend has unrealistic expectations. As far as how they run their gym, how the regular students/assistant instructors carry themselves...who cares? It's Socal. It's a different culture and part of the country.

LOL

I went there last year for a few days to train. First of all if your friend expected to be treated like he was royal, someone super special, or a regular student/training partner for spending money to attend a "Worlds" camp he's probably expecting too much. During my visit I didn't feel unwelcome. It was no different then dropping in any random gym other than the fact it was AOJ (a big name gym). I think your friend has unrealistic expectations. As far as how they run their gym, how the regular students/assistant instructors carry themselves...who cares? It's Socal. It's a different culture and part of the country.

I do agree with you on the people in cali are pretty weird.

Yeah that was underwhelming. I was hoping for something a little juicier. I would be annoyed if they were aloof and unfriendly, and weirded out by all the rafa clones, but that wouldn't be enough to forfeit a 600 dollar investment

That's what I told him, I would of stuck it out. But he has been to different academy throughout the years but said AOJ was the least friendly, that says a lot.

Yeah man, pretty unrealistic expectations. Costa Mesa and most surrounding areas are not cheap to live in, with the exception of like santa ana, anaheim, fullerton, but it doesn't sound like those places will work for you. Then you can go to riverside which is farther but hot as hell and has massive amounts of flies in the summer.

There are 50-60 students per class at AOJ and AOJ gets visitors every day. Your friend expects Rafa and Gui to spend their time out of their busy schedule for visitors instead of their students? Why didn't your friend come up to Rafa or Gui and introduce himself to them?

Not being socially inept and not having unrealistic expectations can go a long way.

Last edited:
There are 50-60 students per class at AOJ and AOJ gets visitors every day. Your friend expects Rafa and Gui to spend their time out of their busy schedule for visitors instead of their students? Why didn't your friend come up to Rafa or Gui and introduce himself to them?

Not being socially inept and not having unrealistic expectations can go a long way.

I'm just the messenger, so it is what it is.

Do you have a man Crush on the Mendes bros?

I'm just the messenger, so it is what it is.

Do you have a man Crush on the Mendes bros?
I am just putting some common sense into you and your friend, so it is what it is.

Do you have a man crush on your bjj instructor?

Why not go to Atos in san diego. Lots of things for kids to do and probably better chance in getting a studio for that price.

I think if you are spending the $$$ to attend a World's camp, you should be warmly greeted and made to feel at home. Afterall, this isn't a standard class drop in, this is significantly more expensive, and many people will have presumably flown in to attend (incurring even more costs).

Having said that, I wouldnt be offended if it wasn't the most friendly environment either. If you are going to survive in BJJ and stick with it for many years, you should have developed a thicker skin already.

Back