Cost of Seminars

iheartthemount

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I am sure this thread has been made before but just in case...

So I was wondering what your guys thoughts' were on the cost of some seminars. I took one recently from a BJJ bb from France and he came over as a favor to my instructor and so we could all come, he only charge us 20$ for like 3 hours and also if we wanted to we could go to two other ones he was doing during that week for free. And at each one he showed different techniques.

I have also been to one when i first started bjj about 4 years ago that was my instructor's instructor and I remember the price being like 200$ or more. To me I felt like we had to go to support our instructor's instructor but the price was crazy.

Your thoughts?

Also my instructor made a good point about how we get a lot of seminars at our school from top level guys, and recently had a certain well known UFC fighter come and he was just mentioning how it's ridiculous for us to spend so much on seminars where were shown unpractical techniques that well never really be able to use.

BTW - i have a video i made of one of the seminars that I put up on utube if anyone wants that link. it's nothing new in BJJ, and my video editing sucks but its worth checking out for white/blue belts that want to see some simple yet effective techniques.

Andre Galvao is doing a seminar for $90 in my area.... If I wasn't flat broke... I'd go...

In January they are having a 3 day seminar for women only, with 3 women world/ pan/ and ADCC champ coming in... 3 days $250....

I'm going to a Urijah Faber 2 hour grappling seminar next week for $95. I think the extra $$$ is because of his star power though.

Andre Galvao is doing a seminar for $90 in my area.... If I wasn't flat broke... I'd go...

In January they are having a 3 day seminar for women only, with 3 women world/ pan/ and ADCC champ coming in... 3 days $250....

well see both of those are understandable. I mean you gotta pay for guys to come out and fly/drive over, their lodging etc. but for someone who lives close by and all.....i think pedro sauer did a weekend one near me for like more then a 100$ or something but your talking about someone whose been ranked top instructor of the year before. I'd gladly pay more then 100$ for two days of that.

well see both of those are understandable. I mean you gotta pay for guys to come out and fly/drive over, their lodging etc. but for someone who lives close by and all.....i think pedro sauer did a weekend one near me for like more then a 100$ or something but your talking about someone whose been ranked top instructor of the year before. I'd gladly pay more then 100$ for two days of that.

I'm not complaining about the prices, I was just commenting on the two seminars I knew of with Legit people that were coming. I'm broke though lol, so at the moment it's seminars or possible tournament? $250 is almost a plane ticket to mundials, pan ams etc... So I have to be picky...

Fabio Gurgel and Jacare will both be giving a one dy seminar in Tallahassee on the 23rd, the cost is 100 bucks.

All depends on the name.

I have attended a few different Gracie seminars for around 60-100$ each for 3 hrs.

H Franca was 60 i think.

I would pay more depending on the instructor, location, and attendance possibilities. They are not just fun times, but great networking opportunities.

In my experience, the cost of the seminar doesn't necessarily correlate with the usefulness of the techniques demonstrated. For instance, in the past two months, I've paid $50 each for two seminars that were the best I've ever been to. One was with a famous ex-UFCer and MMA legend, one was with a multiple-time world champion. In the past, I've paid as much as $130 and didn't get much out of it.

I've paid $100 for a 3 hour seminar with Royler Gracie on several occasions. Same deal for Royce but I only went to 1. Andre Galvao did a seminar near by, I paid $200 for a 2 day seminar (2.5-3 hours each day). Cobrinha and Jacare Cavalcanti were both $100 for 3 hours. I went to a seminar with Shogun twice (once right after he "lost" to Machida and another time right after he got the belt). Both were $125 for 3 hours. Went to a Xande Ribeiro seminar for $100...it's pretty much the going rate for world class competitors.

Royler comes by here a lot, for some of the smaller schools they charge $125, I know of a bigger one that charges less than $100. The people doing the seminars have their own set price (additional costs usually include air fare, accommodation, etc.) It really depends on how many people are going to be attending, and how much money the seminar host is willing to pay out of pocket. The people hosting seminars rarely (if ever) make money.

Expensive seminar I would rather have a private lesson.

When and where will the Andre Galvao seminar be.

I paid 50 bucks for a seminar with Toquinho about 3 weeks ago.

1.5 hours GI, 1.5 hours NOGI.

And honestly, we went for about an extra 45 mins, and he didnt even mind.

I've got enough damn instruction on videotape. I just need more time on the mat.

I paid 50 bucks for a seminar with Toquinho about 3 weeks ago.

1.5 hours GI, 1.5 hours NOGI.

And honestly, we went for about an extra 45 mins, and he didnt even mind.

you're lucky for that mate! would've loved to be at that seminar

50 bucks is a fair price imo for a seminar.

in brasil the black belts charge around 55bucks for an hour private, and you mostly get a 5 +1 free deal if you take that many, so paying more then that for a seminar is a ripoff imo.

Depends a lot on where your game is at I've noticed. I've done 3 seminars this year, as a more advanced guy I'm interested in game specific stuff that the instructor can show me about their game. Other guys may be more in tune to things that work with what they are already comfortable with.

I just had a bjj seminar with roberto traven. $60 for 4 hours. Lots of awesome techniques!!!

I agree that it depends on the person and the cost. At this point, I wouldn't go to a seminar of anyone that isn't at least of a comparable level to my instructor (Ryan Hall). But if they are an elite level Black Belt (World Champion especially), I'd go in a heartbeat for $100.

Biggest disappointment in a seminar - Royce Gracie (I literally learned NOTHING new and had only been training about 6 months at the time)

Best seminars I've been to (in no specific order):
Felipe Costa
Abmar Barbosa
Paul Schreiner
Michelle Nicolini
Bruno Frazatto
Jake Mackenzie
Lucas Leite

(I'll add Murilo Santana even though he just taught a regular class for us, not a seminar, one of the times he visited. But it was nice of him to do and he showed some really cool details that totally changed my passing game.)

I take away something new that I can apply to my game from every single seminar. IMO improving that much in a 2-3 hour span, even if it costs $100 is money well spent.

I'm lucky to be at a gym that believes in bringing in high-level guys/gals to teach and train with the instructors and students on a regular basis. Ryan keeps the costs for our students super low so that everyone can afford to attend as many seminars as they want. He wants us to know all the little details these experienced people have learned are effective at the top level. The one thing all of these individuals have in common is their insane attention to detail in ways I still don't fully appreciate. For those that read Kenny's post on the secrets of BJJ thread, you'll have an idea what I'm talking about.

P.s. We're planning some excellent seminars for the end of this year for those local to DC. Keep your eyes and ears open!

rickson gracie is coming to Australia to give a number of seminars around the place.

BJJ Seminars

its AUD$220 per day for two days. And the Aussie dollar is like 95us cents, so Americans have it pretty cheap imo.

Back