Cost of New E.P.A. Coal Rules: Up to 1,400 More Deaths a Year

• Thread starter Deleted member 159002
  • Start date
Up to 1,400? Why not just say up to 1,000,000?

Zero extra deaths qualifies as "up to 1,400." Nobody is forcing anybody to mine.

Good. That area apparently hasn't gotten the message yet. Should get rid of all coal mining regulations, pump those numbers up

This is a reality that no one wants to accept, but they need to hear.

Nearly all human life on this planet is sustained by the conversion of fuel to energy.

If that conversion is curved in any way, millions of people will die. Areas won't get the development they would have otherwise had. Medicines wouldn't be manufactured at nearly the numbers that they are now, or distributed nearly as far as they would otherwise have been.

Sometimes the sun doesn't shine, sometimes the wind doesn't blow, yet our need for energy remains constant.

Do I wish our circumstances were different? Absolutely. Despite that, I still recognize that this is the circumstance that we find ourselves in today. Converting fuel into more energy is clearly the path to preserving the most amount of human life.

You're not going to find a perfect solution. As Milton Friedman once said: "Nirvana is not for this world".
Batteries store energy, and solve this problem. Long-term that is where we are headed with solar. China has a demonstration project where they are testing many different kinds of batteries (cheap and expensive, old and new) for the optimal solution to store energy generated from renewable sources-- principally solar. They have been able to maintain a reliable power grid even when the clouds go down or the sun comes up. Alternative strategies have produced system that store the energy in molten salt.

This is the future of energy management. It's also why sand is an incredible investment long-term. Seriously. Sand and rare earth metals are poised to become the new oil.

Batteries store energy, and solve this problem. Long-term that is where we are headed with solar. China has a demonstration project where they are testing many different kinds of batteries (cheap and expensive, old and new) for the optimal solution to store energy generated from renewable sources-- principally solar. They have been able to maintain a reliable power grid even when the clouds go down or the sun comes up. Alternative strategies have produced system that store the energy in molten salt.

This is the future of energy management. It's also why sand is an incredible investment long-term. Seriously. Sand and rare earth metals are poised to become the new oil.

I appreciate the fact that people are earnestly looking into ways to make these energy alternatives viable. If we're being honest with ourselves, batteries still isn't a solution to the energy consumption needs of over 7 billion people. It has the potential to be in the future, but it's not turn-key ready right now, yet our need for energy remains constant.

I hope you're right, and this becomes a viable energy alternative. Until then, we will still convert fuel to energy to sustain the most amount of human life, despite the restraints of the technology of our day.

I appreciate the fact that people are earnestly looking into ways to make these energy alternatives viable. If we're being honest with ourselves, batteries still isn't a solution to the energy consumption needs of over 7 billion people. It has the potential to be in the future, but it's not turn-key ready right now, yet our need for energy remains constant.

I hope you're right, and this becomes a viable energy alternative. Until then, we will still convert fuel to energy to sustain the most amount of human life, despite the restraints of the technology of our day.
Yet, surely making it harder to develop and apply a solution isn't a solution, now, is it?

You'd need to actually demonstrate why it's wrong.

Nothing I said was factually incorrect.
The technology already exists to substantially move away from fossil fuel consumption and to do so in a way that will greatly benefit the economy, not damage it. Several countries around the world have demonstrated it. Actively working against it is what is happening in the US right now so you don't even really know how successful such a strategy could be. That's why its wrong.

Yet, surely making it harder to develop and apply a solution isn't a solution, now, is it?
No one's stopping anyone from developing anything on their own time.

I'm afraid what you're trying to communicate here is not very clear.

No one's stopping anyone from developing anything on their own time.

I'm afraid what you're trying to communicate here is not very clear.
The Trump administration actively suppresses efforts to implement solutions. So, yes indeed, it is being stopped. You're justifying that with circular reasoning. End of story.

The technology already exists to substantially move away from fossil fuel consumption and to do so in a way that will greatly benefit the economy, not damage it. Several countries around the world have demonstrated it. Actively working against it is what is happening in the US right now so you don't even really know how successful such a strategy could be. That's why its wrong.
Check your premise.

The continued use of coal power in no way prevents anyone from innovating in another energy sector.

I hope we do some day have a viable alternative to our current level of fossil fuel usage. Any honest assessment of the state of technology and our world at this moment will conclude that we're not there yet.

The vast majority of human life is still sustained by the conversion of fuel to energy. If that conversion isn't maintained at the same levels we're converting right now, millions of people will die.

The Trump administration actively suppresses efforts to implement solutions. So, yes indeed, it is being stopped. You're justifying that with circular reasoning. End of story.

President Trump isn't stopping anyone from innovating anything on their own time.

When I worked construction I worked for a guy who sold sand. We built his MASSIVE 10,000 square foot house. He ended up not being able to pay on time because all of his sand contracts. He was a cunt.

After 6 months of missing final payments he tried to pay the general contractor with sand.

lol

As a former coal miner, I feel sorry for the people of West Virginia. For many people coal jobs are a source of life for not only individual people that live there, but for their entire community’s. The loss of those jobs has litterly cutt the life-lines of their livelihoods, and the people that live there have been neglected for decades. No one else will help these people. Trump must sound like a saving grace to them.

Have you ever had any strange experiences working in mines?

What do you mean exactly?

Just wondered if you ever had any weird experiences - some of my relatives on my mom's side of the family were coal miners in PA many many years ago and there were a lot of stories passed down to me about strange sounds, weird orbs of light, etc. I was told that this was standard fare when working in mines - was just curious if it was the same for you.

It's also indestructible unlike windmills which are destroying and being destroyed by birds daily on the taxpayers dime.

The thing about windmills, though, is that they are a submarines. And submarines have to get subsidiaries from the public.

Coal doesn't need subsidiaries.

#rekt

Just wondered if you ever had any weird experiences - some of my relatives on my mom's side of the family were coal miners in PA many many years ago and there were a lot of stories passed down to me about strange sounds, weird orbs of light, etc. I was told that this was standard fare when working in mines - was just curious if it was the same for you.
I can’t say I have, but my grandfathers brother claims he heard his dead mothers voice warning him to not go to work one day. He took heed and turned around and went back home. There was a gas explosion that day that killed everyone in that mine. I’m actually friends with a guy who’s family owns property where that old mine is located, and he claims he seen a clear silhouette of a cloudy figure walking on that land. There definitely seems to be supernatural stuff involving mines.

TAKE THAT LIBRULS herp derp maga

Back