Correlation between attempted guillotines and losing fights?

Armbars aren't obsolete.

Guillotines are relatively common.

You don't really risk losing position in guillotines. You risk losing the guillotine, and ending up in guard, which is an offensive, and defensive position.

Losing position would be ending up mounted, or in side-control.

There's definitely some ill advised guillotine attempts where fighters don't secure the head well before pulling guard, but that's a miscalculation on their part. It's not the guillotines fault. Sometimes sweat, or fatigue play a role as well.

I lost a ton of jiu jitsu matches due to failed guillotines

Once I got my blue belt i started finishing them.
I feel like you shouldn't be gassing your arms too much unless you don't know what the hell you're doing. That's more leverage.

I feel like you shouldn't be gassing your arms too much unless you don't know what the hell you're doing. That's more leverage.

Finishing the guillotine is easy without burning out your arms, it’s all technique.

I don’t agree that armbars are obsolete. Unlike armbars though, guillotine attempts don’t usually risk losing position. Yeah you can gas your arms, but most experienced fighters know when to crank and when to give it up.

I can’t think of a whole lot of recent fights where going for a guillotine bit someone in the ass

Guillotine attempts that end up on the ground risk losing position most of the time.

A big issue with armbars I would say is that you have fewer elite sub grapplers around today and also fewer people willing to fight off of their backs generally.

Why try for subs at alll? Don't risk position, just hug them close.

<GSPWoah>

Overeem made Stipe tap to a nasty guillotine

No one does it like CM Punk.

giphy.gif
GOAT GULLOTINE!

Fucking retarded.

Is there a correlation between a missed punch and losing? Not one technique in MMA is a guarantee. I'll tell you this though, some have possibly lost fights for NOT trying for a guillotine, imo...I'm looking at you Maia vs Colby, and RDA vs Colby. Admittedly Colby avoided the clinch with Damien like the plaque, and RDA was clinched up against the fence for like 80% of the fight, but only tried once.

BlueAccurateBlackfly-size_restricted.gif

TS, when you haven't seen one finish a fight, in any professional MMA organization in a year period, then make this thread.

Q0OWA9.gif

I wonder if the guillotine will soon become obsolete in the same way the armbar has. It seems like so many attempts end up not finishing, in poor position, losing the round, and having gassed out arms. Even only very rocked opponents it seems like a poor choice. Any sort of database for that info?
Well that Munhoz guy at 135 tried like 20 of them and still won. He seemed to have potential, but maddening fight IQ to rock his opponent, or keg kick him into barely standing, and then go for a choke over and over.

Guillotine finishes are much rarer than they used to be. Better sub defense of course, and less pure kickboxers specializing in it for a deadly last resort. Cro Cop and Reem had a nasty one, but they weren't good off their back, for example. I think you're right, the move today has more downside than before.

I wonder if the guillotine will soon become obsolete in the same way the armbar has. It seems like so many attempts end up not finishing, in poor position, losing the round, and having gassed out arms. Even only very rocked opponents it seems like a poor choice. Any sort of database for that info?
Well no shit sherlock, if you go for a guillotine attempt and it doesn't work, then your chances are higher than if it does work. <{gspressed}><Cage33>

Conor would still be laying under Chad Mendez today if not for his attempts.

Guillotines are one of the most common, highly accessible, and rewarding submissions there are to be proficient at. Having a strong guillotine threat literally reshapes the whole landscape of gameplanning with a fighter, either for or against. Just look at guys like Brian Ortega; if he didn't have that guillotine threat, he would have been getting taken down, wall-n-stalled, and wrestlefucked long before even sniffing the top 5, let alone a shitle shot. Yet because he does, he isn't, so he is.

Guillotines are great as long as fighters aren’t using that as a last ditch TDD attempt. A lot of times fighters go to guillotines due to lacking good enough TDD against their opponent. There are also times where guys will lose a close round due to attempting a guillotine but then ending up staying on the bottom for the remainder of the round

I think guillotines will always be a great weapon in MMA but it’s not magic and can’t be used in every situation where you can get a headlock unless you are amazing at them. Even if you don’t finish you can sometimes roll them over and land in mount or at least on top.

If a fighter has good wrestling and they are shooting in with good setups and are aware of the guillotine chances are they aren’t going to get caught in one unless they are hurt or gassing or caught off guard. In those situations fighters probably shouldn’t be spamming guillotines all the time unless again they are amazing at it.

Well no shit sherlock, if you go for a guillotine attempt and it doesn't work, then your chances are higher than if it does work. <{gspressed}><Cage33>
That wasn’t the point of the thread but I’m glad you took the time to attempt to disparage. At least you included memes. #1 poster

Back