correct way to do squat?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by tryagain, Oct 20, 2005.

1. tryagain

tryagain White Belt

I've learned that to do squats safely, you have to keep the back in a vertical line so the pressure is shared, and not stressed on each backbone (by leaning foward). I also know that you gotta keep knees not past the toes. That's the easy part, but not leaning forward is hard for me. Are you supposed to learn to balance bending 90 degrres and keep your upper body back? cause that's like sitting back on a chair except you dont have a chair, so it's almost impossible.

2. anvar

anvar Guest

there is much debate, you can't learn a movment from the internet....my best advice would be to buy a video.

If you want it from a powerlifting point of view...look at the westside sites.
    If you want it from a athletic point of view...Ian King has a great video.

3. tryagain

tryagain White Belt

yeah, i know. there's too many ways and most sites differ from watching videos, but i'm thinking that as long as your knees are not protruding and your back's straight, i don't get any future injuries. But I saw somebody doing it with their arms pointing forward, and they barely leaned forward. i guess if you learn to balance back like this, you can do squats without injuries?

4. Ted-P

Ted-P Brown Belt

In terms of physics, it's almost impossible not to go past the toe.

And not bending your back in a full squat? How possible is it?

5. Zeirhk

Zeirhk Green Belt

I guess he ment don't round the lower back, Like in a deadlift you must make sure you your whole back is straight or has a slight arch. I tried squatting without any resistance by "keeping my back straight" and fell backwards, lol. You gotta lean forward, obviously :D.

For me, the first 1/3 or so of descending on my squats resembles a Barbell-Goodmorning.

6. tryagain

tryagain White Belt

what i was saying was, i saw soembody doing squats with their arms straight out and they had perfect balance even when he had a straight back. I tried it and keepign my back straight works if you have small weights on your hands and you reach yoru arms straight out. I guess if you practice this enoguh, you can have enough balance to do those clean safe squats.

7. Ted-P

Ted-P Brown Belt

Aren't those hindu squats?

Weighted squats and bodyweight squats are different.

And during those hindu squats can you affirm that his or her back was perpendicular to the floor?

8. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

Look for videos

9. nudge119

nudge119 Green Belt

If you want to learn how to squat correctly - do box squats!!!

10. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

That is purely dependant on your biomechanical structure.

I squat with perfect form, exhibiting

11. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

One last thing I neglected to mention, NO AMOUNT of reading or watching videos compares to having an experience lifter physically observe and guide you through the squatting movement.

Do yourself a favor, find a non metro-sexual dominant gym, and look for an experienced powerlifter who has a 38+ inch waist, and doesn't stand in front of the mirror flexing.

12. Madmick

Madmick Freedom!!! Staff Member Senior Moderator

13. Mark Limbaga

Mark Limbaga Amateur Fighter

Not necessarily. There are more ways to learn how to squat properly.

14. Zeirhk

Zeirhk Green Belt

I've read that Box squats can put some pressure on the spine (bad way), so why is that ?

15. cockysprinter

cockysprinter Purple Belt

its more dependent on your stance. narrow squatting is more likely to have your knees go beyond your toes. sitting back properly also affects this.

16. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

a friend of mine hurt his back quite badly by trying to box squat too heavy, he basically lost control and dropped onto the box and he got squeezed between the weight and the box. Sounded nasty.

17. gruesome

gruesome Green Belt

Im fairly certain in the Westside Squatting Secrets video, Louie makes mention of putting something padded on the box, for that very reason.

18. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

My brother and I employ virtually "the same" squatting technique, yet his knees have a tendency to pull forward, whereas mine do not! As such, biomechanics is largely to blame.

Also, I can comfortably squat with a close stance, and experience little movement in my knees.

19. ENTROPY

ENTROPY Purple Belt

Squatting puts pressure on the spine, period!

The fact is that many closet bodybuilders try to box squat incorrectly and suffer the consequences as a result.

I've been box squatting for 7 years without a single back injury.

20. RizRan

RizRan Guest

Yeah you gotta get the right technique or you will do some damage to your back, ive seen my students using poor technique and they are suffering now from that one mistake. Master the technique first then increase the load.