correct head movement?

Redtarget

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Not saying this is or isnt just looking for constructive critique on this gif I found of gatti avoiding a few punches from ward in succession..... what is right or wrong about this? trying to find gifs / fighter who evades multiple punches in a row but with correct technique.... I know Canelo is good at this as well.

There's nothing wrong with it. His head moves between his feet, hips low and engaged, and he could have thrown back off of any movement just about. It's good stuff picked up from McGirt when he was still a decent trainer. McGirt himself had very educated hips:

There's nothing wrong with it. His head moves between his feet, hips low and engaged, and he could have thrown back off of any movement just about. It's good stuff picked up from McGirt when he was still a decent trainer. McGirt himself had very educated hips:

Are you suggesting McGirt isn't a decent trainer anymore? :icon_lol:

Are there examples of trainers becoming worse? It's hard to imagine how it can be beside a trainer getting so old that he physically can't teach anymore or has a serious illness like Roger Mayweather and Roach

Why is it hard to imagine? Many trainers chase dollars primarily, not excellence.

Not saying this is or isnt just looking for constructive critique on this gif I found of gatti avoiding a few punches from ward in succession..... what is right or wrong about this? trying to find gifs / fighter who evades multiple punches in a row but with correct technique.... I know Canelo is good at this as well.

Cool GIF ))) Gatti made Mayweather miss quite a lot as well in the first portion of their fight ...

What's wrong is that he forgot to punch the other guy.

In my opinion thats terrible movement but it worked well. All movement is in the back and he is in an unbalanced position to be bending at the hips. Had he bent at the hips he probably would have fallen over.

Ward missed the opportunity to take the lower level and instead punched down and there by shortening his punches. Had he bent in the knees and put his shoulders level with Gattis the match probably would have ended right there and then.

Yeah...only, no.

To me it looks like he bending at the hips not the back

Why is it hard to imagine? Many trainers chase dollars primarily, not excellence.

But doesn't the money come with great results? At least when you are an established name already.
Why shouldn't he try his best in hopes of getting bigger names to work with him so shouldn't he still give 100% at least with the more popular boxers he works with?

If you look at the blue waist trim on his shorts and the imaging him having a straight back you can clearly see that the bend is in the back. Had he kept a straight back (green line) the bend would've been very small.

The red symbol show the critical space that Gatti have left for his opponent. Space that's free except for maybe some arm punches from Gatti if Ward isn'nt careful

If you look at the blue waist trim on his shorts and the imaging him having a straight back you can clearly see that the bend is in the back. Had he kept a straight back (green line) the bend would've been very small.

The red symbol show the critical space that Gatti have left for his opponent. Space that's free except for maybe some arm punches from Gatti if Ward isn'nt careful

It depends on how high his trunks are. Also how tight the waist trim sits if it isn't completely tought then the angle can be slightly different.
And that his back isn't 100% straight doesn't necessarily mean that he bends at the waist for headmovement it could be that his posture even before he started moving his head wasn't that good to begin with.

Not saying those things are the case but the waist trim is hardly a 100% sure proof

If his back was bent, his spine wouldn't be straight and his shoulders would be rounded. Also, note neither of those lines are actually ALONG his back, that's to make a point that isn't there. You lower that green line or raise the blue one so they actually follow his back and you'd see it's pretty damn straight for a guy generally known as a rustic brawler. This stuff about small bend with straight back is untrue. The hips are designed to do the work, which allows for very deep bends with minimal back curling.

But doesn't the money come with great results? At least when you are an established name already.
Why shouldn't he try his best in hopes of getting bigger names to work with him so shouldn't he still give 100% at least with the more popular boxers he works with?

You're making the mistake of thinking over all career. We live in times dictated by instant gratification. So many trainers feel that feeding you a line of bullshit and getting however much money is in your pocket right now is more beneficial than planning to do a lot of hard work and have it pay off down the road.

You're making the mistake of thinking over all career. We live in times dictated by instant gratification. So many trainers feel that feeding you a line of bullshit and getting however much money is in your pocket right now is more beneficial than planning to do a lot of hard work and have it pay off down the road.

It's just weird considering that he was a pretty good fighter himself and that any fighter who isn't broke and badly damaged on top of being able to make a decent living something he probably likes should feel pretty lucky.
At least in the job aspect of his life.

I mean I'm someone who can be lazy and/or just feel like not doing anything for other reasons but then I still do things I like 100% I just do them less often but i would never do something I like less than 100% when i do it unless i really feel out of it and literally can't do it 100%

I think Buddy lost the "like" for it and at some point it became just a job to him.

The bend in his back isn't his lower back. It's his T spine and back of the ribcage. You have to brace your lower ribs into the lower T spine with your abs.

The bend in his back isn't his lower back. It's his T spine and back of the ribcage. You have to brace your lower ribs into the lower T spine with your abs.

I'm not sure I'm following you. Could you expand?

I don't know about the lower back bending forward. Is that even possible? Isn't the lumbar part of the spine kind of fixed? The movement happens where the lower back joins with the sacrum and the thoracic spine. Of course there is some give and Gatto seems to me to be maxed in that department since his lower back pushes back (kyphosis) and not in a normal inwards curve (lordosis).

If you mean that a boxer should hunch I disagree. I think the hunching comes from not being balanced in ones approach to fighting.

Old and less popular video but probably one of the most impressive, to me at least.

^That's another one where it could be easy to confuse if he's using his lower-back or not. But he's not, if he were any one of those movements would have jerked it in about a second.

Back