Correct facts on Rousey's Olympic medal

Maxi157

White Belt
Reaction score
Yes Ronda won bronze, yes it was great but any judo coach that knows it is not the first Olympic medal for a female judoka. Lynn Roethke 1988 won the silver medal, so Ronda is the second I'm not bashing just hate hearing she's the first female to medal in judo when she isn't. Then Kayla got a gold and Marti a bronze so now she's one of four. Don't get me wrong it was a huge accomplishment and the judo world is proud of her but facts are facts. Search it if you don't believe.

She is the first american to medal in females Judo.. not the first female. "First female to medal in Judo" doesn't even make sense.. even if its the first female Judo event EVER, there are at least 3 women that medal at roughly the same time. No one is saying she is the first female to medal in Judo because that makes zero fucking sense.. female Judo olympic events existed before Ronda even started doing Judo.. if UFC are marketing it as that, its either an obvious typo, or a very poor attempt to fool the casual idiots

And I think it's fucking hilarious how Ronda wasn't even the best in her own weight class in her own gender division in her own time competition period in her original sports, but somehow she's the most dominant MMA champion in the world.

Lynn is American but women's Judo wasn't officially accepted into the Olympics until 1992. The 1988 games had women's Judo as a demonstration sport, not official event, hence it doesn't count. Also, it doesn't matter. First or second medalist, she's still a subpar athlete compared to true elite athletes.

Yes Ronda won bronze, yes it was great but any judo coach that knows it is not the first Olympic medal for a female judoka. Lynn Roethke 1988 won the silver medal, so Ronda is the second I'm not bashing just hate hearing she's the first female to medal in judo when she isn't. Then Kayla got a gold and Marti a bronze so now she's one of four. Don't get me wrong it was a huge accomplishment and the judo world is proud of her but facts are facts. Search it if you don't believe.

I could be wrong but I suspect a woman has medaled in woman's judo since its Olympic inception. Just a hunch.

Women's judo started in 1992 in the Olympics.

And I think it's fucking hilarious how Ronda wasn't even the best in her own weight class in her own gender division in her own time competition period in her original sports, but somehow she's the most dominant MMA champion in the world.

Judo isn't MMA, DC couldn't even make it to the Olympics, but he is the LHW champ

Ronda technically came fourth as she lost to the silver medalist. Both semi finalists got a bronze medal, when the two losing semi finalists should have to compete for the bronze.

just like mayweather

Another hate thread and misleading attempt to besmirch R3's good name.

How dare you.

Women's judo was a demonstration sport in 1988, not a full event.

Judo isn't MMA, DC couldn't even make it to the Olympics, but he is the LHW champ

Paper champion. And DC made it into the Olympics (US team captain), he was just too subpar to medal. That's why he's beaten by Jon Jones, himself a subpar athletes compared to his 2 NFL brothers, who themselves are subpar athletes compared to NFL elites.

Such is the reality of the "athleticism" in MMA. 3 tiers below elite talents in major sports.

TJ Dillashaw was a .500 wrestler in college.
DC didn't even medal.
Anderson Silva is 1-1 as a boxer with a ko loss.
Fedor, Russian judo team member, didn't make the Olympics.
GSP never even wrestled.

Should I keep going?

How embarrassing is this thread for you?

Lynn is American but women's Judo wasn't officially accepted into the Olympics until 1992. The 1988 games had women's Judo as a demonstration sport, not official event, hence it doesn't count. Also, it doesn't matter. First or second medalist, she's still a subpar athlete compared to true elite athletes.

This.

Also judo was became a official olympic sport in 92 so Ronda being the first american female to medal in 96 its not such a big deal (especially taking Lynn in to context).

Back