Correct escape from the straight ankle lock?

wildcard_seven

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I usually don't have a problem with this one. If someone falls back, I standup with them. If they cinch it, I will try to keep my foot at 90 degrees and push it farther in (so my ankle joint is way past their armpit), and I will try to peel off the controlling leg and sit on it, then scoot out to that side.

Is there anything else I can add to this list of things to counter/prevent the straight ankle lock? There is this guy in my class who is damn strong and if I'm not careful he will muscle one out on me. He actually did it to me yesterday while I was doing it to him....had his leg completely controlled properly, except I left my top (controlling) leg just too near his side, he peeled it off and wrenched it out that way without having control of the leg or anything....
Pissed me off.

wrap your own leg around him...endure the pain and heelhook him.

dont push off from an ankle lock! that makes it worse. As the brazillians say "put your boots on", shove it through as he laying back. i recommend attacking the knee of the leg he has (or should have) between your legs. get around it, either pull yur self up with it. or force a knee seperation (read tap).

I always push off it doesnt hurt me ever. Pushing off for a heel hook hurts tho. Maybe if your a bitch you cant take the pain to push off.

check my profile, its there. my schools are in santee california. stop by anytime you would like.

Grab the back of his neck, push your leg through and try rock up into mount.

Enron Exec, I think you are confusing a possible escape from a kneebar with an escape from an achilles lock. Please make sure you know what you are referring to before you comment. If you are escaping that way from achilles holds your training partners either don't know what they are doing or they don't have the hold applied correctly. If you tried that escape you'd actually be doing their job for them as they wouldn't need to lean back and turn to the side as you would end up hyperextending your own tendon and breaking your own ankle by attempting to push away.

Superbeast said:
Grab the back of his neck, push your leg through and try rock up into mount.

Enron Exec, I think you are confusing a possible escape from a kneebar with an escape from an achilles lock. Please make sure you know what you are referring to before you comment. If you are escaping that way from achilles holds your training partners either don't know what they are doing or they don't have the hold applied correctly. If you tried that escape you'd actually be doing their job for them as they wouldn't need to lean back and turn to the side as you would end up hyperextending your own tendon and breaking your own ankle by attempting to push away.

Nah Im talkin about the achille lock. I have had this attempted on me from alot of people all except browns. I never let them get me to the point where if I did it Id be doing my own self damage. If I am caught in I just go towards them and stand up. I guess I recognize the set up before it happens

Your training partners aren't that good then if they are obvious in setting up submissions. Hell, even if they are obvious a determined grappler will get you with proper technique. Do any of the guys you train with actually try to hook your far leg to prevent you standing up and go to the side or do they stay on their backs?

I've been working on a counter of the achilles lock to a triangle, may try get some photos of it and put it up on Lockflow.com so you guys can check it out.

Mark Allen said:
dont push off from an ankle lock! that makes it worse. As the brazillians say "put your boots on", shove it through as he laying back. i recommend attacking the knee of the leg he has (or should have) between your legs. get around it, either pull yur self up with it. or force a knee seperation (read tap).

x2

Tried tested and true method.

Let's say he's attacking your right leg with his left arm. Keep your leg completely straight(important) and push your foot through, that will stop his ankle lock, then counter with an ankle lock of your own, with your left arm on his left foot.

A diagonal ankle lock is much stronger than a regular one.

Grab the sholder on the side they're locking you before they sit down, keep your leg straight, pull them in towords you and if you're quick enough shift your hips and omoplata the guy.

Nice counter if you can get it.

Mark Allen said:

I double that. This is the right method .My bjj BB instructor explained the same way as Mark did.

Ya as people are sayin the best defense for one that has been applied correctly is to straighten your leg and push it through under their armpit. However be aware that a good leglock guy can also try doing a straight-leg heelhook on you now.

If he fails to lock your hips good you can roll out and pull at the same time so he doesn't cinch and kneebar.

Being better at leglocks then the other guy is key. I've gotten guys in unorthodox leg locks when they were slapping on straight heel hooks just by straightening out and making it difficult on em while I twist a foot and make them have to counter.

if you are doing gi, hold his colar so he can't sit back, grab the back of his head for no gi. put your boot on, as others have said, so the top of your foot is no longer against his shoulder. now, he has his knee between your legs and his other foot on your hip. push the foot off of your hip, slide over and sit on it. now, work over that leg and around toward mount, keeping nice and tight the whole time.
if the foot is too deep to push off of your hip then it is probably too far over and you can submit him. i.e. if it is his right foot and he has it too deep put in under your right arm and do an achillies back to him. because of the way his leg is routed you have a shorter distance to travel and will beat him ot the sub.

Enron Exec. said:
I always push off it doesnt hurt me ever. Pushing off for a heel hook hurts tho. Maybe if your a bitch you cant take the pain to push off.

You don't understand the footlock then. One of the keys to the footlock for the guy executing the submission is sitting far back away from the guy being tapped --- the more distance that you stretch the foot and leg, the better to tap him with. If you think pushing the guy attackign you farther away will help, you must be impervious to pain. Or you have what the Beatles would call a "rubber sole".

I second this. and against guys with smaller feet you can forget about achilling

Back