Corporal punishment...yay or nay?

"The more they were spanked, the more likely they were to exhibit anti-social behavior and to experience mental health problems."

OK but they never go into specifics. I feel like a lot of these anti-spanking "studies" suffer from confirmation bias. The researchers are already going out looking for any confirmation that spanking is detrimental - instead of looking at the data objectively.

Obviously abuse can do damage, but where is the line between that and appropriate corporal punishment?

I was never abused as a kid, but the few times I was hit, I was being a little spoiled shit (and I even knew it at the time.) Looking back I definitely deserved it.

Also, my old TKD teacher who make us stay in a push up position for long periods of time and paddle us if we fucked up. Not really that bad and created discipline IMO.
Exactly.

Too many people get caught up in absolutes. It does work. It doesn't work. That's too simplistic. Context, severity, and frequency ALL play a factor.

If you whip your kid every single day over bullshit, of course it's basically gonna amount to abuse, lose its effectiveness, and have the message behind the beatings get muddled.

Whereas if you beat your kid only in extreme circumstances, with clearly defined rules for when it's applied, corporal punishment is far more effective.

Spanking is fine, but beating is not. The nuance and the details of the situation are what defines whether or not the punishment fits the crime.

This is how it comes across
Really? I guess it's ok to misquote people around here.
My classroom is very disciplined. I try to model self discipline. Adults hit kids because a lack of discipline.
"Weak minded lemming" ha... Good one!

Really? I guess it's ok to misquote people around here.
My classroom is very disciplined. I try to model self discipline. Adults hit kids because a lack of discipline.
"Weak minded lemming" ha... Good one!

I'm sure you are a real Kindergarten Cop.

Calling it "violence" is just a way to sensationalize it, and make it sound worse than it is.

It isn't a black and white thing. I think whatever study they did is useless, because corporal punishment shouldn't be a go-to punishment. There are times, places, degrees, and certain offenses that rate the punishment, and many others that don't. How do you do a study on all those factors?

Obviously, beating the fuck out of a kid for not doing the laundry is bad parenting. But there are other times where a slap, or few licks on the ass from a belt are warranted and effective .

I don't have kids, but my parents did corporal punishment. I turned out fine, and in hindsight, they were right most of the time. There's some shit a 12 year old boy does that a "talking to" is not sufficient.

The research is clear. It doesn’t work. Do you accept the findings? Were you beat as a child and turned out ok? I would argue that you are not ok if you are advocating violence against children.

https://news.utexas.edu/2016/04/25/risks-of-harm-from-spanking-confirmed-by-researchers

As a combat athlete, I have a good understanding of violence. If an adult walked into my kindergarten classroom trying to harm one of my students they wouldn’t know that I was a kind, patient, pacifist.

"This research based evidence disagrees with my worldview, therefore it is false."

The research is clear. It doesn’t work. Do you accept the findings? Were you beat as a child and turned out ok? I would argue that you are not ok if you are advocating violence against children.

https://news.utexas.edu/2016/04/25/risks-of-harm-from-spanking-confirmed-by-researchers

As a combat athlete, I have a good understanding of violence. If an adult walked into my kindergarten classroom trying to harm one of my students they wouldn’t know that I was a kind, patient, pacifist.

Never used more than a tap on me kids, don't intend to use any more, I couldn't face them fearing me like that it would break my heart.

Did the kids develop aggression and mental health problems from spanking, or did the kids need spanking because they were aggressive and had mental health problems?

Think about it.

Never used more than a tap on me kids, don't intend to use any more, I couldn't face them fearing me like that it would break my heart.

I find it kind of hard to justify actual violence against a kid. Up until they hit puberty you can pretty much just manhandle them if they act up, without resorting to any harmful force.

I guess some sort of slap or whatever could be constructive in exceptional circumstances. Not so much to assert your dominance as a parent/adult, but to bring to your child's attention the fact that if you step out of line completely, violent repercussions are a possibility. Kids are smart enough to extrapolate that this might happen in interactions with other people than their parents as well, and that the effects might be way worse in such a situation. So it isn't just about raising obedient children, but also about making them functioning members of society.

I choose to disregard the study's findings about anti-social behaviour...

I actually think spanking might be more harmful to a child than a slap in the face or something similar. A slap is an expression of anger. A spanking is more like ritual humiliation. I can see how the latter would have more profound effect on a child's self esteem, trust of people etc.

Last edited:
My parents both came from abusive homes and growing up they wouldn't lay a finger on me. Spoilt the shit out of me, determined that I'd never have to suffer anything like what they did.

I must seem like an asshole for complaining, but I often wish they did discipline me more and take more control over me. Mainly because I grew up as a fat mess and way too sensitive to other people (Scared of conflict and extremely delicate). I was completely sheltered and given everything I wanted. I look at dudes who came from strict households where they'd cop beatings and weren't showered with money and they turned into way better people than I could ever hope to be

I've spanked all my kids. If they earn it, I gladly reward them with it.

I must seem like an asshole for complaining, but I often wish they did discipline me more and take more control over me. Mainly because I grew up as a fat mess and way too sensitive to other people (Scared of conflict and extremely delicate). I was completely sheltered and given everything I wanted. I look at dudes who came from strict households where they'd cop beatings and weren't showered with money and they turned into way better people than I could ever hope to be

I've known a couple of people who've told me the same thing.

My parents were absolute hardasses and I turned out ok. There were definitely some instances that both they and I agree were over the line, but overall, I kinda needed a little corporal punishment to teach me right from wrong.

It sucks to say it but there are some people that just have a more naturally combative or rebellious personality. Talking and verbal punishment will only take you so far with those. I was a wild little shit so if my parents hadn't been they way they were, I probably would have ended up in trouble.

i believe in vigilante justice more than state justice. if somebody raped my son your damn right i would kill that person

It sucks to say it but there are some people that just have a more naturally combative or rebellious personality. Talking and verbal punishment will only take you so far with those.
Exactly. This is where the "context" portion of my earlier "context, severity, and frequency" post comes from.

My little boy largely does things he knows he's supposed to, and doesn't break rules, aside from the occasional forgetfulness. He hardly ever gets a spanking.

My little girl, however, used to blatantly ignore rules and admit later that she did it because she "didn't want to". For such blatant disrespect, she got her ass spanked. I'm using the past tense because she USED to misbehave like that. After realizing that she was going to get her ass beat whenever she blatantly ignored rules and/or did something dangerous that we know we warned her about, she eventually stopped. Also, after each beating, we would let her know that it didn't have to be that way. If she just did the things she knows she's supposed to do, and didn't ignore rules, the spankings would stop. Lo and behold, she started behaving, and the spankings stopped.

Children are fools. They don't realize just how foolish they are. Trying to rationalize and reason with them is mostly a wasted effort. They literally don't even understand most of the words you use, let alone the meaning behind most of what you try to explain to them. What they understand is pain. They'll eventually rationalize it later.

A few smacks on the ass or on the back of the legs from the parents is fine.
I got it, and I am fine.

Big NO on any fucking teacher dishing out physical punishments though.

Absolutes on a topic like this, on either side of the debate are always wrong.

It is wrong to think a spanking is simply violence that will create a cycle as many people who got spanked don't feel the need to spank. It is wrong to think all kids need a spank.

A certain small percent of kids may indeed need and crave a more direct form of punishment particularly if their upbringing was less than ideal in the early years. You can see how certain kids and particularly young men crave structure and accountability even as they do not realize it and fight it.

Spanking should always be a last option and spanking is not violence if delivered without malice or anger.

My step daughter needs a good smacked ass or hand sometimes.

She is a little shit and tries to get away with murder. She lies, answers back, steals and is just a general all round douche - she’s 6!

She needs a smacked hand/ass or the promise of one to keep her in line. If time passes the old habits creep out then it’s time for another smack/threat of to keep her in check for another 4-6 weeks.

Back