Corporal punishment...yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Cash Bill 52, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

The research is clear. It doesn’t work. Do you accept the findings? Were you beat as a child and turned out ok? I would argue that you are not ok if you are advocating violence against children.

https://news.utexas.edu/2016/04/25/risks-of-harm-from-spanking-confirmed-by-researchers

As a combat athlete, I have a good understanding of violence. If an adult walked into my kindergarten classroom trying to harm one of my students they wouldn’t know that I was a kind, patient, pacifist.

Mike, osudude and Ogata like this.
  2. CWMMA

CWMMA Purple Belt

Huge difference between a swat on the ass and someone’s drunken dad coming home from the factory and filling the home with uppercuts.

3. Bagatur

Bagatur Red Belt

I'va heard from many that it certainly got their attention and made them listen, and they are grateful to their parents for it. then again, mine never laid a hand on me. so it is not so black and white.

Malvo likes this.
  4. JAEGERX

JAEGERX victorus aut mortis Double Yellow Card

Yeah i do, but depends on the manner and to who it is applied to, for example i dont like prisons since they are a waste of human and finite resources; so my idea of justice is for minor offenses and non violent crimes are lashes on the back, you get flogged and sent home, all violent crime, kidnapping, political corruption and fraud are punished by death.

Reyesnuthugr and punky brewster like this.
  5. squeezewax

squeezewax Brown Belt

When i was at primary and high school i got 'the cuts' quite a lots. Six of the best across the underside of the fingers with various sized canes. I'm sure some of the teachers enjoyed hitting the kids like that.
    By the time i returned to my class blood blisters were starting to form on my fingers. Obviously couldn't hold a pen and do any work either.
    If you timed it correctly you could try and move your hand down as the cane hit your hand, that would take some of the sting out of it. However if the teacher noticed this he'd give you an extra hit.

It seems barbaric now, hitting little children with a weapon. It never stopped me from being 'bad' in class.

As for being hit by my parents? It never happened to me. I have three older brothers, the next one up from me is six yrs older.
    Those other three did get the belt once or twice as they were growing up, i was a little spoilt.

6. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Yes, big difference. Let’s say a kid doesn’t clean his room. Gets paddled... room is clean...you might think, “paddling works.” The problem is the long term consequences. In the long run, violence is not an effective method to modify behavior in children.

Kiddo716 likes this.
  7. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Where did you go to school?

8. EndlessCritic

EndlessCritic Gold Belt

9. Patrick Jane

Patrick Jane Purple Belt

Meh, don't be wusses. When i was 5 years old, my mother used to flay me with a bullwhip and drip molten sealing wax into my wounds every day. And yeah, i'm fucking kidding. I'm opposed to people using violence against their children except for self defense.

10. Pugilistic

Pugilistic Silver Belt

Nay

Corporal punishment, bro.

Cash Bill 52 likes this.
  11. phipps66

phipps66 Brown Belt

I was spanked as a kid but don't consider it abuse. We just started the "thinking chair" with my 2 year old. Sometimes I'd like to backhand him but he has those big soft brown eyes and I couldn't imagine inflicting pain on him.

12. SaiWa

SaiWa Black Belt

fuck yeah it can work!

it just has to be administered properly and fairly. you can't be beating the ever living shit out of them but paddling the bottom works for children that require a more physical lesson in manners and/or attention. I am not saying it will work all the time but it worked for me. I had an attention problem in school and the teacher corrected it for me. I told my parents and they invited the teacher over for dinner to thank him for helping me pay attention in school. I never had a problem sitting still and paying attention (or pretending to pay attention) in class after that lesson.

Which Doctor and sub_thug like this.
  13. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

14. GalegoREB

GalegoREB He Who Talks Loud, Saying Nothing

Yeah when I was a kid my father never understood that taking my ps1 from me was a worse punishment than being slapped in the face.

Kiddo716, babycart and Cash Bill 52 like this.
  15. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

“Pretending” to pay attention. See... did it really work?

16. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

I think a spanking has it's place. I never spanked my daughter really just kind of slapped her hand. I've done that maybe 3 times in 15 years and haven't had to do any sort of hitting for like 7 years. A time out was really all I ever needed. She's a girl though boys are much more uncontrollable, and if your a mom? Boys will run over you without proper control. My sister is really strict and her kids still don't fucking listen just cause she's the mom. With their dad they always listen and he doesn't even come close to spanking them as much as she has to.

With that said I don't believe this for one second:

“Yet our research shows that spanking is linked with the same negative child outcomes as abuse, just to a slightly lesser degree.”

To a sightly lesser degree? Bullshit.

Reyesnuthugr likes this.
  17. Cheese

Cheese Banned Banned

Bust they head ti white meat.

18. Cash Bill 52

Cash Bill 52 Brown Belt

Did your behavior improve after your play station was taken away?

19. method115

method115 Titanium Belt

Yes because the first part in learning to do something is often pretending to do it. Like when your sad they tell you to just pretend your happy and it's been shown to actually make you feel more happy. Just forcing a smile can make a huge difference.

20. Darth_Inv1ctu5

Darth_Inv1ctu5 I will shit on everything you love

Reasoning with a toddler can only get you that far. I turned out fine and I got an appropriate share of slaps when I was a kid. Nothing traumatic about that.

There's certainly a fuckton of adults I have to deal with on daily basis who would have benefited from a slap or two during their formative years.

I'm not saying it's a mandatory educational tool, just that it's not the devil people make it out to be, applied appropriately