Opinion Coronavirus vaccine: Germany & EU failing their citizens. US not.

JDragon

Lawn and Order!
@Gold
Reaction score
Just read an article on German-language SPIEGEL Online:

The contrast is unmistakable. On the one hand, there is the supposedly incompetent Trump administration, which will supply 20 million Americans with vaccine in the next two to three weeks alone. By the end of March, a good hundred million Americans should have been vaccinated twice.

On the other side are the supposedly well-prepared Europeans, who continue to wait for the vaccine developed in Germany. And do not know exactly how much vaccine they will receive in the coming months.

11-13 million vaccine doses by end of March for Germany, i.e. max. 6.5 million people vaccinated = 8% of population in Q1

USA: 100 million people = 30% of the population in Q1

Say what you will, but the Trump administration did a good job here - and our government failed. So maybe we can make up for it in the long run and achieve herd immunity at a comparable point in time (though I do not believe that), but even so, a delay in vaccination for risk patients and exposed groups will mean longer lockdowns and longer periods of high death counts.

Years from now, Operation Warp Speed will be Trump's lasting legacy, with his role in pushing out the COVID vaccines in record speed against all the doubters, politicians and anti-vaxxers alike. This resounding success is not just for the United States, but for the world as well.

There's certainly some luck involved ofcourse, as America is going 2-for-2 on the scoreboard with their 95%-effective vaccines. Had the American vaccines failed spectacularly the way the Australian and French vaccines did after he poured billions of American taxpayers' money into their development and early purchase orders, then we'll never hear the end of it, like how Obama is still getting ragged on for investing a truckload of public money into all those solar companies before they went bankrupt.

Lastly, putting an 4-Star Army General with decades of experience in handling global logistics for our Armed Forces in charge of this nation-wide vaccine distribution program instead of a bureaucrat is a damn fine decision. You got all the discipline, and none of the partisanship and dramas.

132707866_10103490106211277_8958029452547699525_o.jpg

Last edited:
Hey but if you don't want to hear common sense from me, then listen to an expert:

"It is not entirely unproblematic. Simply because we cannot yet have the post-processing times that we would like. So you can't say anything about long-term effects if the stuff has only been around for six months. On the other hand, the fact that a lot of money was invested in the development, also because many people were interested in participating in studies and because the disease is common at the moment, results in a very decent database within a relatively short time could be achieved. But in fact, things are going much faster than usual at the moment and there are still a lot of questions that cannot be answered on the previous basis. This is more unsafe than it usually is."

Prof. Eva Hummers, doctor and member of the Germany government advisory Standing Vaccination Commission STIKO

Last edited:
Just read an article on German-language SPIEGEL Online:

The contrast is unmistakable. On the one hand, there is the supposedly incompetent Trump administration, which will supply 20 million Americans with vaccine in the next two to three weeks alone. By the end of March, a good hundred million Americans should have been vaccinated twice.

On the other side are the supposedly well-prepared Europeans, who continue to wait for the vaccine developed in Germany. And do not know exactly how much vaccine they will receive in the coming months.

11-13 million vaccine doses by end of March for Germany, i.e. max. 6.5 million people vaccinated = 8% of population in Q1

USA: 100 million people = 30% of the population in Q1

Say what you will, but the Trump administration did a good job here - and our government failed. So maybe we can make up for it in the long run and achieve herd immunity at a comparable point in time (though I do not believe that), but even so, a delay in vaccination for risk patients and exposed groups will mean longer lockdowns and longer periods of high death counts.

Do you have a link?

Looks like "der Spiegel", who couldnt find any good word on Trump for years, now uses him to tell us germans we are stupid about a vaccine that has more risks than normally.
I think its ok to have a positive opinion on the vaccine, but there is almost no news about why for example a phase 3 trial for a normal FDA approval takes 1-4 years, not 2 months, and the problems associated with that fact. Enough media putting out claims like the studies are done, we now have the FINAL results ect. which just cant be true.
Der Spiegel lost its integrity way before the Relotius scandal, getting worse every day.
Well, of course, its not Trump doing something right, its the Trump administration.

I personally do not know what is the right play here, honestly. I am glad I do not have to decide in any way. And I agree, it may make sense to at least be able to source vaccine in greater numbers than what you mentioned. But can we get back to resonable discourse? Other than we are worse than Trump if we dont inject more people with a not finally tested vaccine in the next few weeks?

Hey but you if you don't to hear common sense from me, then listen to an expert:

"It is not entirely unproblematic. Simply because we cannot yet have the post-processing times that we would like. So you can't say anything about long-term effects if the stuff has only been around for six months. On the other hand, the fact that a lot of money was invested in the development, also because many people were interested in participating in studies and because the disease is common at the moment, results in a very decent database within a relatively short time could be achieved. But in fact, things are going much faster than usual at the moment and there are still a lot of questions that cannot be answered on the previous basis. This is more unsafe than it usually is."

Prof. Eva Hummers, doctor and member of the Germany government advisory Standing Vaccination Commission STIKO
Bro, she’s just a shill making the big bucks with antivax industry, funded by China and Russian disinformation...
<Y2JSmirk>

not sure what your definition of failing a country is.....but IMO anyone organizing these bullshit vaccines for their country is.....failing them

literally selling souls for a political approval from the masses for something that was largely media created driven......

Hey but you if you don't to hear common sense from me, then listen to an expert:

Seems like a reasonable opinion, what's the problem?

If people don't realize there are some added risks in taking a vaccine that was rushed along like this, I don't know what to say. They have 5 and 10 year clinical studies for a reason. It's basic common sense.

On the flipside, if people don't realize there are some extenuating circumstances that have sped up the process and that they are obviously taking every possible precaution they can to make sure it's safe...I also don't know what to say.

There's no "right answer", basically it's wait and see for awhile.

Take your rushed vaccine sheep, there's nothing to worry about...

I think the vaccine though not perfect, is better than just facing what we are facing. That is continued lockdowns and our economies being slowly strangled. I think it's worth it. I might even the the vaccine myself despite being in a high risk group.
Say what you want about Trump, operation warp speed delivered

Years from now, Trump's lasting legacy will be his role in pushing out the Covid vaccines in record speed against all the doubters, politicians and anti-vaxxers alike.

There's certainly some luck involved ofcourse, as America is going 2 for 2 on the scoreboard. Had the American vaccines failed the way the Australian one did after he poured billions of taxpayers' money into their development and early purchase orders, then we'll never hear the end of it, like Obama and the bankrupted solar companies.

Lastly, putting a General with decades of experience in handling global logistics for our Armed Forces in charge of this nation-wide vaccine distribution program is a damn fine decision. You got all the discipline, and none of the partisanship and dramas. Talk about the perfect man for the job!
I remember early on Trump was criticized for putting military men in charge of civilian affairs, they were all well qualified though, probably the only qualified people in the administration.

Cool to see that pay off, it makes complete sense.

Do you have a link?

Looks like "der Spiegel", who couldnt find any good word on Trump for years, now uses him to tell us germans we are stupid about a vaccine that has more risks than normally.
I think its ok to have a positive opinion on the vaccine, but there is almost no news about why for example a phase 3 trial for a normal FDA approval takes 1-4 years, not 2 months, and the problems associated with that fact. Enough media putting out claims like the studies are done, we now have the FINAL results ect. which just cant be true.
Der Spiegel lost its integrity way before the Relotius scandal, getting worse every day.
Well, of course, its not Trump doing something right, its the Trump administration.

I personally do not know what is the right play here, honestly. I am glad I do not have to decide in any way. And I agree, it may make sense to at least be able to source vaccine in greater numbers than what you mentioned. But can we get back to resonable discourse? Other than we are worse than Trump if we dont inject more people with a not finally tested vaccine in the next few weeks?
Maybe it was some other German media source, but I remember some German outlet quizzing some minister on Trump’s foreign policy decisions and “surprisingly” he agreed with most of them.

Could be a sinister plot to force vaccinations or it’s possible that they’re just showing integrity. From what I understand, Der Spiegel is supposed to be a good source.

If people don't realize there are some added risks in taking a vaccine that was rushed along like this, I don't know what to say. They have 5 and 10 year clinical studies for a reason. It's basic common sense.

On the flipside, if people don't realize there are some extenuating circumstances that have sped up the process and that they are obviously taking every possible precaution they can to make sure it's safe...I also don't know what to say.

There's no "right answer", basically it's wait and see for awhile.
The problem is the “vaccine passport” crowd, obviously.

Years from now, Trump's lasting legacy will be his role in pushing out the Covid vaccines in record speed against all the doubters, politicians and anti-vaxxers alike.

There's certainly some luck involved ofcourse, as America is going 2 for 2 on the scoreboard. Had the American vaccines failed the way the Australian one did after he poured billions of taxpayers' money into their development and early purchase orders, then we'll never hear the end of it, like Obama and the bankrupted solar companies.

Lastly, putting a General with decades of experience in handling global logistics for our Armed Forces in charge of this nation-wide vaccine distribution program is a damn fine decision. You got all the discipline, and none of the partisanship and dramas. Talk about the perfect man for the job!
<YeahOKJen>

The problem is the “vaccine passport” crowd, obviously.

Yeah, tricky. To me that's more a private business decision, but IDK. Like, if an airline wants to require it to allow boarding, the government shouldn't get involved. That's their own business decision and then their customers can decide. For example Delta decides to require it but American doesn't. You don't want to get the vaccine yet, so you fly American. Someone else only wants to fly with vaccinated people, they fly Delta. Just a thought.

Edit: In my example, the airport is still an issue obviously. IDK how that shakes out.

Back