International Coronavirus, v4: South Korea in Red Alert as number of infected quadrupled in 4 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
Working my way through v4, so I may be quoting some stuff from a couple days ago.

The hidden number of cases may be high, but things may be better than we expect if the death rate holds. A lot of hidden cases implies a lower death rate. Assuming that the deaths stay few in number outside of China (we won't know for a few weeks), and assuming it doesn't mutate into something more dangerous. Thank God this isn't smallpox or the bubonic plague; it's pretty hard to mistake either one for anything but what they are.

The other thing that recently occurred to me is how disruptive this can prove even if it doesn't kill you. Covid-2019 (Man that's a dumb name) seems to make a lot of people sick for quite a while in a lot of cases even when they recover. If this is correct (and it seems to be), then we are virtually guaranteed to get pushed into a recession.

I think this is guaranteed, yes. My company is a multi-billion, globally active business. Last week, force majeure has been declared to customers across divisions. Across China, many suppliers have only recently begun starting operations again, other are still shut down, and even those that are up again operate at significantly below 50% of staff on average.

You can imagine what this means for production in other companies/continents. Given the lead times of shipping , it will likely take a couple more weeks to months until they run dry.

Also you should not underestimate the likely impact for export-oriented economies because of China's position as a market. If the Chinese aren't working, they don't earn money and obviously won't spend it on cars or iPhones etc.

Based on reading all the information posted in the last 3 threads, I don't believe you are stopping this, and I don't believe its natural. I think there is a high probability it escaped from a level 4 biolab in Wuhan and we are in the beginning of a worldwide pandemic right now. I hope you are right, I hope its stopped, but I don't think so.

I fear you are right and this is a bio-weapon that got out. Now if this virus mutates does it get worse?, if so we all will be one dead duck.

As good as science is it will still be 2-3 years before a cure is found. So best hope your immune system can fight it off.

How long before retard Trudeau says we must take in sick refugees...

Canada is doing nothing to stop this. I'm stocking up on food and supplies. This is honestly how I'm going to look in the future:

If things start getting bad in your city it might be best to do your shopping in the smaller town 45 mins to an hour away.

the flu vaccine is of rather questionable effectiveness. additionally, most people think that rhinovirus/pneumonia/etc are influenza...

My two kids did have a case of influenza just about a week ago. Didn't test positive for it, but the 40+ degrees fever and other symptoms strongly indicated it in the doctor's view.

I was feeling not well for a couple days and worked from home, but it didn't hit me fully. Was wondering if past flu shots allowed me to go through a milder version?

There are a lot of burros still in that barn bruvva

Here's a bet. We have 8 confirmed cases in Canada right now. I bet you we have 100+ by the end of March.

Working my way through v4, so I may be quoting some stuff from a couple days ago.

I think this is guaranteed, yes. My company is a multi-billion, globally active business. Last week, force majeure has been declared to customers across divisions. Across China, many suppliers have only recently begun starting operations again, other are still shut down, and even those that are up again operate at significantly below 50% of staff on average.

You can imagine what this means for production in other companies/continents. Given the lead times of shipping , it will likely take a couple more weeks to months until they run dry.

Also you should not underestimate the likely impact for export-oriented economies because of China's position as a market. If the Chinese aren't working, they don't earn money and obviously won't spend it on cars or iPhones etc.

I feel like I should be betting against the market, but I'm not sure how best to do that right now.

I fear you are right and this is a bio-weapon that got out. Now if this virus mutates does it get worse?, if so we all will be one dead duck.

As good as science is it will still be 2-3 years before a cure is found. So best hope your immune system can fight it off.

I'm digging Vietnam style tunnels right now in my back yard.

The good news is, the government already announced during the evacuation that everyone from the Diamond Princess who refused evac cannot return to the U.S later without another mandatory 14-day quarantine, because their "certification of completion" from the Japanese Health Department means nothing.

I hope that means the State Department flagged his passport already.

I don't wish ill on anyone, but I will shed no tears if Matthew here start showing symptoms in the next couple of days while living it up in Japan. And the Japanese only got themselves to blame since they let everyone who "completed" their failed quaratine to just up and leave.

Shiet, we were so pissed at Matthew, we didn't realize that a whopping 70 Canadians from the Corona Princess also declined their government's airlift and now continuing with their sight-seeing all over Japan, because they believe they have "completed the quarantine onboard and are now virus-free". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
If athletes refuse to travel, they won't have a choice.
Another aspect I wonder about is the travel insurance industry. They could easily just deny to cover this and people might be forced to sit fucking still.

My two kids did have a case of influenza just about a week ago. Didn't test positive for it, but the 40+ degrees fever and other symptoms strongly indicated it in the doctor's view.

I was feeling not well for a couple days and worked from home, but it didn't hit me fully. Was wondering if past flu shots allowed me to go through a milder version?

probably not. in the flu vaccine (or whatever it was) thread last week, someone posted data suggesting that previous flu shots seem to have a negative effect, if any. but i dunno.

seemingly most illnesses that people think are influenza are actually something else, though.

Australians From Cruise Ship Test Positive for Coronavirus After Testing Negative in Japan
February 21, 2020

370a5412aedef9174fbcd4465f1bb04915f9f3e0.jpg

A bus with “Go, we go back to home” on the front transfers passengers from the Diamond Princess in Yokohama

Two Australians evacuated from the coronavirus-stricken Diamond Princess cruise liner in Japan have tested positive to the disease in Darwin.

The two, one young person and one elderly, remain well and are being housed in a separate isolation unit inside the Manigurr-ma village outside Darwin, Australia’s chief medical officer said Friday morning.

Public health authorities from their home states were organising medical transfers for the patients and their partners.

Australia’s chief medical officer, Prof Brendan Murphy, said all of the 164 Australian citizens and permanent residents evacuated from the Diamond Princess on Thursday, and flown to Darwin, were health screened before boarding the Qantas flight out of Japan. None of those allowed to board returned positive tests or displayed any symptoms of the disease.

The passengers were screened again when they landed in Darwin and six showed minor respiratory symptoms and fevers. They were isolated from others in the group. Four of those patients have returned negative tests.

“Given there was continued evidence of spread of infection on board the Diamond Princess in recent days, the development of some positive cases after return to Australia is not unexpected, despite all of the health screening before departure.” Murphy said.

“Fellow passengers and crew on the Qantas flight which returned people trapped on the Diamond Princess can be assured all measures were taken to ensure their protection.”

Murphy said there was no public health risk from the new infections. “This development poses no risk to the broader community.”

Ten Australians who sought to board the evacuation flight from Japan were told they could not leave because they had tested positive to Covid-19. They are being treated in Japan. It’s not known when they will be able to return to Australia.

The acting NT chief health officer, Dianne Stephens, said the medical teams working inside the Manigurr-ma village, a former worker’s village in Howard Springs on Darwin’s outskirts, were maintaining strict quarantine protocols.

“Every day we will screen, we will isolate people who have symptoms and we will test them and we will follow this process. The Ausmat team know how to ... manage quarantine and infection control. So the community remains safe from the Covid-19 infection as do all the staff within the facility as do all the staff that were on the plane that brought those people home.”

The quarantine procedures on board have been criticised, in particular the failure to isolate known cases from uninfected people.

In a YouTube video since pulled offline, Kentaro Iwata, professor at the infectious diseases division of Japan’s Kobe University, described the situation on board as “chaotic” and “completely inadequate in terms of infection control”.

Globally, Covid-19 has infected 76,000 people and killed 2,267.

There have been 17 cases of coronavirus in Australia: five in Queensland; four in New South Wales; four in Victoria; two in South Australia, and now, two in the Northern Territory. Ten of the earlier cases have fully recovered.

On Thursday, the government extended a ban on travellers from China entering Australia. Foreign nationals – excluding permanent residents – who have been in mainland China will not be allowed to enter Australia for 14 days from the time they left mainland China.

Australian citizens and permanent residents will still be able to enter, as will their immediate family members, defined as spouses, legal guardians and dependants only.

People who have been in contact with someone confirmed to have coronavirus must self-isolate for 14 days from the time they were in contact with that person.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...from-diamond-princess-test-positive-in-darwin

--

First it was the repatriated American passengers that tested positive, then the Israeli, and now Australians.

More proof that the "certificates of quarantine completion" given to cruise passengers by the Japanese Department of Health aren't worth the paper it's printed on.

The Brits are finally heading home after everyone else, we shall see if they have better luck.

Last edited:
Kim said that mobile sample collection teams will be in operation so people can be tested without going outside.

What happened to 'proper testing only under general anesthetic'?

What happened to 'proper testing only under general anesthetic'?

Was that a Korean medical policy? Cause everyone else got to feel the swabs shoved up their noses this past month.

Was that a Korean medical policy? Cause everyone else got to feel the swabs shoved up their noses this past month.

Auto translated German article from 2 weeks ago, may have misinterpreted

Kai Sonntag, spokesman of the Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians in Baden-Württemberg, can understand the fear, especially if you come from China, where in many places nobody dares to take to the streets. However, he refers to the rules set up by the Robert Koch Institute: Only people with symptoms are tested. Thomas Iftner believes that this is correct and explains why this is the case. According to the current state of the art, in order to effectively investigate the virus, it is necessary to use material from the lower respiratory tract, says the Director of the Institute of Medical Virology and Epidemiology of Viral Diseases at the University of Tübingen. "This requires a general anaesthetic". In addition, Iftner said that there is another problem: nobody knows when the virus can be detected. "Maybe a person who is symptom-free is tested negative today, although the virus is dormant in him, and two days later it can be detected, although still no symptoms are detectable".

Source: https://www.stuttgarter-zeitung.de/...cht.1a3d80d5-2754-4e8e-bc9e-abaa4686a735.html
Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

My poor projection of rates of infection I am so far basing it on deaths. So whatever the death count is divide it by 2-2.5% which is the mortality rate of the virus described by many outlets. with China being at 2360 since I posted this then we are nearing 100,000 infections at minimum.

Shiet, we were so pissed at Matthew, we didn't realize that a whopping 70 Canadians from the Corona Princess also declined their government's airlift and now continuing with their sight-seeing all over Japan, because they believe they have "completed the quarantine onboard and are now virus-free". :rolleyes:

Fucking Canadians, eh? Eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back