Coronavirus survivors banned from joining the military

Teppodama

A Dude, playing a Dude, disquised as another Dude
@Silver
Reaction score
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...s-survivors-banned-from-joining-the-military/
As the Defense Department negotiates its way through the coronavirus pandemic and its fallout, military entrance processing stations are working with new guidance when it comes to bringing COVID-19 survivors into the services.

A past COVID-19 diagnosis is a no-go for processing, according to a recently released MEPCOM memo circulating on Twitter.

“During the medical history interview or examination, a history of COVID-19, confirmed by either a laboratory test or a clinician diagnosis, is permanently disqualifying ...” the memo reads.

The memo is authentic, Pentagon spokeswoman Jessica Maxwell confirmed to Military Times.

Specifically, it lays out guidelines for MEPS staff to deal with potential, as well as confirmed, coronavirus cases. That starts with screening at all MEPS, which includes taking a temperature and answering questions about symptoms and potential contact.

If an applicant fails screening, according to the memo, they won’t be tested, but they can return in 14 days if they’re symptom-free. Anyone who has been diagnosed with COVID-19 will have to wait until 28 days after diagnosis to report to MEPS.

Upon return, a diagnosis will be marked as “permanently disqualifying” for accession. Recruits can apply for waivers for all permanently disqualifying conditions, including surviving COVID-19. However, without any further guidance for exceptions dealing with COVID-19, a review authority would have no justification to grant a waiver.

Maxwell declined to explain why a coronavirus diagnosis would be permanently disqualifying, compared to other viral, non-chronic illnesses that do not preclude military service.

However, given the limited research on COVID-19, there are likely a few factors that military medical professionals are trying to hash out when it comes to recruiting survivors: Whether respiratory damage from the virus is long-lasting or permanent, and whether that can be assessed; the likelihood of recurring flare-ups, even if someone has had two consecutive negative tests; and the possibility that one bout of COVID-19 might not provide full immunity for the future, and could potentially leave someone at a higher risk to contract it again, perhaps with worse complications.

he move comes as the services prepare for a surge of post-graduation recruits during the summer and fall high season.

In recent weeks, new trainees have been 100-percent tested for COVID-19 before starting training. So far, clusters have been discovered at Fort Jackson, South Carolina, and Marine Corps Recruit Depot San Diego, the Army and Marine Corps’ biggest initial entry training installations.

Very interesting. So as things stand at this time, if you've had a positive diagnosis of Covid you are permanently disqualified from joining.

That's certainly likely to cut down on recruiting numbers.

Wtf it's just a flu bro! The government knows this. They are just trying to control us by not letting join if weve just had a flu.

Or something

Probably just a temporary thing until they figure out what the long term effects are I would have thought.

Either they know something about it that the public doesn't, or it's because they don't know enough about it. Either way I'd expect this to be dialed back in time.

Probably just a temporary thing until they figure out what the long term effects are I would have thought.

this. we don't know the long term ramifications of the disease yet. the last thing the military wants is to let someone in and a pre-existing condition from the virus flares up and hurts/kills someone. some of the conditions might flare up and since it happened while they were in military service, it might be considered as service connected, which means the VA (aka tax payers) will have to take care of it for the rest of the person's life.

What if they just wear a mask? Masks save lives, too.

just 1 more thing people will have to selectively forget when questioned. hint hint

Well, it is a novel virus so not hard to get the reasoning here.

This is how you do it in the preventative based business of providing and securing public health. You try to wait for evidence and not make assumptions.

My bone spurs already took care of that

accordingly, you cant be drafted if you are a covid bro.

emoparker.jpg

Well duh. There are a million things that can DQ you from joining.

pretty sure this is just a ploy to keep minorities out of the military. seeing how brovid-19 affects minorities more.

My bone spurs already took care of that
He was 6 feet tall and had an athlete’s build. He played football in high school and was active in sports throughout college. He spent one summer as a lifeguard at a local pool.

But after he graduated college in the spring of 1968 and became eligible for the draft and —possibly — combat duty in Vietnam, he received a diagnosis that let him avoid military service.

No, not bone spurs. Asthma.

And his name was Joe Biden.

Wtf it's just a flu bro! The government knows this. They are just trying to control us by not letting join if weve just had a flu.

Step 1: Create virus
Step 2: Let it spread
Step 3: Shut down the country to destroy the economy
Step 4: Cripple the military by not allowing survivors to enlist
Step 5: Allow more Muslims and Mexicans in. Enact Sharia Law.

This is all part of the globalist plan, sheeple! Soros has been hatching this for years!

Step 1: Create virus
Step 2: Let it spread
Step 3: Shut down the country to destroy the economy
Step 4: Cripple the military by not allowing survivors to enlist
Step 5: Allow more Muslims and Mexicans in. Enact Sharia Law.

This is all part of the globalist plan, sheeple! Soros has been hatching this for years!

Bro don't you know Bill Gates owns thr patent on Covid-19????

Well that's one way to discourage young, asymptomatic people from getting tested.

I wasnt allowed to join when I turned 18 because of a minor heart murmur I have, that was only detected once when I was like 5 years old. #1 bullshit

Back