Coronavirus Mega Thread vN95

Status
Not open for further replies.
The questionable science is really starting to piss me off. The paper references a hamster study where they infected the critters with a high, low, or placebo dose and then checked them daily for various symptoms & effects. When I went through that paper, it turns out that the high dose was about 400 times bigger than the low dose, and yes, it did result in measurable differences in symptom severity.

Problem: an N95 or equivalent is the only one that'll get that level of reduction, regular surgical or cloth masks aren't anywhere close and will only reduce the viral load by about 6 times. No one has done a study to see if that's enough of a reduction to have a measurable effect on the symptoms, but it's just assumed that it should work.

This is not the first time I've seen shoddy incomplete "science".
https://forums.sherdog.com/posts/161064002/
This is how you give scientists a bad name and fuck up public policy.

These types of articles just keeps getting churned out by the truck-load, and 9 times out of 10, the article skews in a direction that promotes obvious interests/narratives. Unfortunately, so many just swallow it up and regurgitate with a sloppy copy/paste of an article (e.g. the post you responded to). We are literally witnessing the weaponization of science, and these posters spamming these yahoo "studies" are like the front line fodder... Whats sad, is that the folks posting these false narratives often have no idea the harm they are doing (they probably think they are helping).

Haven't been out around others the last week or so. Chilling at a rural lake cabin, doing a bit of handy man magic for my friend/owner. She digs me and lives a couple of hrs away.
I am awed by how much insanity I hear as different folks talk, virtual and RT. So many feeling forced to take life changing action based upon politicized, ever changing 'facts'.
Since March I have been from Quartzsite, AZ area to Dante Point, CA, back to AZ when west coast started locking down.

Gold prospecting trip to OR thru Big Pine /Death Valley CA. Spent couple of weeks around NV hot springs, exploring abandoned miner's camps an hour from cell coverage. Traveled length of NV staying several days at several spots.
Did our prospecting gig, left OR and arrived in Maine about 6 weeks later.
2 months ago or so I am in SW OK till winter thickens.
I have had a pretty good sampling of the US at panic stage

Lol wtf is this drivel

Imagine consuming your time thinking and writing about this bullshit. These stories are literally written by people major in useless shit like women's studies in college and can't find a real job. So they make shit up and try to pass it off as fact.
I find it extra funny that they’re pointing out that they’re white. I don’t know the demographics in the UK exactly, but I’m fairly confident that it is a majorly white country.

@TeTe @icffedor @fingercuffs @all caps @SalvadorAllende @CyberRubberDuck @Cool Hand Luke
Some positive news for covid symptom long haulers those who have linger symptoms that last for weeks after recovering from covid apparently the lungs will recover in times and self heal.

Lung function shows improvement at 12 weeks in COVID long-haulers, study finds
The first long-term study of COVID-19 long haulers — patients who report having side effects for weeks to months after getting the virus — suggests that lung function may improve over time, providing a rare bit of good news for a group still searching for answers.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/lun...covid-long-haulers-study-finds-183711167.html

Did you read the article?

It's a more complex issue than the gender pay gap which is largely nonsense, and based on presentation, this wasn't put together by women't studies graduates.

It might as well be. The article fails to:
a) propose an alternative working solution
b) explain a causal linkage between "back to work" and "these people get screwed", it's just assumed
c) consider the 2nd & 3rd order effects of using oversight & enforcement to "fix" a pay gap

This is what happens when a)the writers are hacks, and b)they're writing for an audience of dumbasses with a 30 second attention span. I took journalism and technical writing courses as part of my course distribution requirements when I was in university 20 years ago, my prof would've failed me or had me do a complete re-write for something as shoddy as that Guardian article.

Lol wtf is this drivel

Imagine consuming your time thinking and writing about this bullshit. These stories are literally written by people major in useless shit like women's studies in college and can't find a real job. So they make shit up and try to pass it off as fact.
Me working hard all night on that article and seeing this from my sherbro.

dfa.jpg

This is what happens when a)the writers are hacks, and b)they're writing for an audience of dumbasses with a 30 second attention span. I took journalism and technical writing courses as part of my course distribution requirements when I was in university 20 years ago, my prof would've failed me or had me do a complete re-write for something as shoddy as that Guardian article.

I have a journalism degree and am currently a technical writer and can tell you that any semblance of real journalism is dead. It's all blogs, tweets and puff pieces (including cable news pieces) that people get their "news" from. It's a fucking joke.

@TeTe @icffedor @fingercuffs @all caps @SalvadorAllende @CyberRubberDuck @Cool Hand Luke
Some positive news for covid symptom long haulers those who have linger symptoms that last for weeks after recovering from covid apparently the lungs will recover in times and self heal.

Lung function shows improvement at 12 weeks in COVID long-haulers, study finds
The first long-term study of COVID-19 long haulers — patients who report having side effects for weeks to months after getting the virus — suggests that lung function may improve over time, providing a rare bit of good news for a group still searching for answers.
https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/lun...covid-long-haulers-study-finds-183711167.html
Brah, I am either going to stay out of this thread or pull the ignore lever, my first, on you, it seems.
Constantly posting dubious info, ffs
I think it's a hobby for you.

I have a journalism degree and am currently a technical writer and can tell you that any semblance of real journalism is dead. It's all blogs, tweets and puff pieces (including cable news pieces) that people get their "news" from. It's a fucking joke.
GOSPEL, right der

Brah, I am either going to stay out of this thread or pull the ignore lever, my first, on you, it seems.
Constantly posting dubious info, ffs
I think it's a hobby for you.
What do you mean brother? I posted the link there, it says the lungs will recover before the articles said that the body would suffer permanent damage from Covid but it looks like its not true that there is no permanent damage to the lungs or heart or body, but im pretty sure another article will come out suggesting that the damage will be permanent.

Anyway im sorry you feel the need to put me on ignore :(

It might as well be. The article fails to:
a) propose an alternative working solution
b) explain a causal linkage between "back to work" and "these people get screwed", it's just assumed
c) consider the 2nd & 3rd order effects of using oversight & enforcement to "fix" a pay gap

There isn't always a working solution available. That doesn't mean you shouldn't write about the issue.

The causal link is the fact that during the pandemic the shortage of care for children is going to make it significantly more difficult for women to return to work. This could be a legitimate concern, it could be paranoid fantasy, there's no harm discussing the possibility. The article doesn't prove that case but it's very rare that an article does these days, that's no longer the standard and hasn't been for a very long time.

I don't support anything the article says about the pay gap. This issue is still in vogue but has largely been proven false.

It must make you cringe reading yahoo news with all the female bloggers writing articles about Chrissy Teigen and getting headline spots lol

So you, aerius and I have all studied journalism. We should start a Sherdog newsroom but I have to warn you, I studied it so long ago the last time I worked on a newspaper we had to assemble it using strips of film on a frame. I'm not even kidding.

It must make you cringe reading yahoo news with all the female bloggers writing articles about Chrissy Teigen and getting headline spots lol
Yahoo is just a blog. Any sort of real news story they post is actually a repost from HuffPo, NYT or some other news site.

So you, aerius and I have all studied journalism. We should start a Sherdog newsroom but I have to warn you, I studied it so long ago the last time I worked on a newspaper we had to assemble it using strips of film on a frame. I'm not even kidding.
Nice. My photojournalism instructor in college still had the original film from a shoot he did in NYC in 1978. He was shooting Hunter Thompson in a hotel room for some magazine article.

He made me an original print of a headshot of thompson smoking a cigarette on matte paper from his film that I still have, framed, on the wall.

Lets keep this rolling.

As looks like China are at there next stage of contact tracing, linking their social credit system and contact tracing together.

Coming to a app and society near you soon.

Don't use app, big conspiracy solved.

Our government have been hiring contact tracers. Most establishments require you to write your name, address and phone number while showing them your quarantine pass that it is indeed you.

Our government have been hiring contact tracers. Most establishments require you to write your name, address and phone number while showing them your quarantine pass that it is indeed you.

I believe this is the end game, to lock everybody into the points system. Once we are all in we live the digital hell and play the governments games. digital hell incoming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back