International Coronavirus Breaking News, v13: Over 21,000 Healthcare Workers From Around The U.S Heading To N.Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
People in this series were talking about the hypothetical scenario of 2% mortality rate on the entire population to fend off the stupid "just the flu" bros since v1.

No one ever thought somebody would actually put it to the test.

I don't remember when I got interested in this. V4 or 5 or something

Interesting how people chime in at different times. The more serious this get the more people studied it

I am compelled to get every piece of information I can get on this thing

What UK has decided to do terrifies me more than anything else that has happened so far

People in this series were talking about the hypothetical scenario of 2% mortality rate on the entire population to fend off the stupid "just the flu" bros since v1.

No one ever thought somebody would actually put it to the test.

Good thing we restricted trav--... Oh, shit.

Interesting how people chime in at different times. The more serious this get the more people studied it

This is the best resource on the internet for me u guys r awesome

I heard some people talking of a rumored national quarantine:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/a...ine-america-could-be-giant-legal-mess/606595/

Except at the nation’s borders, the federal government, with the expertise of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is not in charge. America’s defense against epidemics is divided among 2,684 state, local, and tribal public-health departments. Each one is responsible for monitoring people within its jurisdiction, imposing isolation or quarantine as needed. CDC officials are “preparing as if [the new coronavirus] is the next pandemic,” but in reality, the laboring oar falls to state and local health departments.

I'm not sure if the national state of emergency changes anything.

I had pretty bad asthma when I was a kid. Pretty non existant now but when I get sick it always seems to attack my lungs. I don't get sick often at all but this kind of virus scares me. My daughter also has mild breathing issues so double that.

Anyway, sorry about the ramble. The blatant disregard many seem to have about the old and compromised is sickening to me.
I never had asthma but I’ve had pneumonia twice and ever since if my lungs even look at a virus cross eyed I get a lung infection. So this virus has me worried big time and for anyone else like myself or older. That said the pneumonia I did have didn’t hospitalize me but it was bad.

Well, then you can finally put that Thread Index to good use! :cool:

It's actually too full with information now, so I had to remove the first 3 threads from the list.

Seems like US cases have stalled?

Yes, yes it is.

How many times have I reminded you to read the thread and catch up each time you log in, dude?

Last edited:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/13/uk-to-ban-mass-gatherings-in-coronavirus-u-turn

UK to ban mass gatherings in coronavirus U-turn

Mass gatherings are to be banned across the UK from next weekend, the government has announced after Boris Johnson’s cautious approach to the coronavirus outbreak was overtaken by care homes, sporting bodies and even the Queen taking matters into their own hands.

On Thursday, despite formally moving to the delay stage of the coronavirus action plan and warning that many more families would “lose loved ones before their time”, the prime minister stopped short of calling for mass events to be cancelled or schools to be closed. There was no specific advice for how older people should protect themselves, aside from avoiding going on cruises.

On Friday, the World Health Organization stressed the need for a range of measures to tackle the virus, which is thought to have infected up to 10,000 people in the UK, most of them unknowingly because they are not showing any symptoms.

Related: Coronavirus UK cases: find out how many are in your area

The WHO director general, Dr Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, said all possible action should be taken: “Not testing alone. Not contact tracing alone. Not quarantine alone. Not social distancing alone. Do it all.”

Hours later, in a significant change of tack, Downing Street signalled it was preparing to stop large public events, including sports fixtures and concerts, to alleviate the pressure on police and the ambulance service. It did not specify what size of event would be affected, and the timing of the clampdown has yet to be decided, but it is expected to come into force in a week’s time.

Emergency legislation due to be passed by the government next week is expected to include compensation for organisations forced to cancel events. It is also expected to include the power to temporarily detain sufferers if necessarily.

Whitehall sources said the country would move toward widespread home-working, although details had yet to be thrashed out.

The World Health Organization is recommending that people take simple precautions to reduce exposure to and transmission of the coronavirus, for which there is no specific cure or vaccine.

The UN agency advises people to:

• Frequently wash their hands with an alcohol-based hand rub or warm water and soap
  • Cover their mouth and nose with a flexed elbow or tissue when sneezing or coughing
  • Avoid close contact with anyone who has a fever or cough
  • Seek early medical help if they have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, and share their travel history with healthcare providers
  • Avoid direct, unprotected contact with live animals and surfaces in contact with animals when visiting live markets in affected areas
  • Avoid eating raw or undercooked animal products and exercise care when handling raw meat, milk or animal organs to avoid cross-contamination with uncooked foods.
Despite a surge in sales of face masks in the aftermath of the coronavirus outbreak, experts are divided over whether they can prevent transmission and infection. There is some evidence to suggest that masks can help prevent hand-to-mouth transmissions, given the large number of times people touch their faces. The consensus appears to be that wearing a mask can limit – but not eliminate – the risks, provided it is used correctly.

Slightly unexpected.

In OC, CA. they have shut down the schools and basically all gatherings. People are keeping their distance and hand sanitizer is everywhere and at all businesses

I actually think we may be ok here

well the county catholic diacese/division in my area just shut all the churches down until april as well, even jesus is scared mane sheit

apxxmlc4kfm41.jpg

This shows the US data up to 3/11, and the total cases as of today are over 1600. So we are following Italy's trajectory with startling similarity.

But our total population is much larger, with less medical coverage which means reluctance to see visit doctors. All the makings of a once-in-a-generation shitstorm.
Meh, cases dont mean anything since it really only correlated with testing.

South Korea probably had a higher case rate

Holy shit, Spain just added another thousand between noon and evening, in additional to the thousand from this morning. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back