Cornermen: How important are they?

cornermen are very important. When you are on the ground, having somebody who knows what they are doing really helps because they can see their opponent setting things up that the fighter might not be able to see.

Every time I hear Joe Rogan commentating, I think how amazing he would be as a cornerman. He knows exactly what is going to happen seconds before it happens. He stays so composed even when he is super excited. The UFC would likely never let him corner a fighter in their promotion, but damn, for a great wrestler with a little BJJ experience, I think Rogan could coach them to victory in many fights.

Of course they're important.Mostly for your opponent,they always warn them what is coming like:Jab and then right high kick.It's really helpful for the oppoent to know what you'll try to do.

I also like when they tell their fighters they're winning the fight when in fact they're getting murdered or the :Get the fu.. up,get up,get up are really helpfull instructions during the fight too.

Greg Jackson alwas says the same thing no matter who fights or how the fight is going,it's hilarious...

Greg:Breathe,calm down.Just do the same thing.Breathe,calm down.Keep going,it's perfect.Breathe...

Seriously,i've never listened to any wonderful advices from cornermen.Normaly they say basic things like:Try to get him against the fence and get him down or use your jab more,mix it up and things like that.It's awful...

Last edited:
THey are important, but not as important as everyone make it out to be.

I will have to politely disagree here. The cornermen are almost like family. They're the guys the fighter (usually) trains with every day. They know the fighter as well, if not better, than he knows himself.

best cornerman is Mark Coleman

"GET UP PHIL!....GET UP!....PHIL!....GET UP!!"

A fighter that listens to his corner has an advantage over those that don't. How much of an advantage depends on a huge number of variables, but in general I'd say it's better to listen to your corner than to utterly disregard/ignore them.

First off, I'm not implying that they are useless. But I would like your opinion on how important they are exactly and how much they can possibly affect the outcome of fights.

Of course some fighter needs corners more then others and not all cornermen are made equal. But lets say for every fight, on of the 2 fighter is randomly selected to not have a corner. All he has is a stool/water bottle setup for him (and a cut man if needed).

How skewed (if at all) would the winning ratio be in your opinion?

As the Last Emperor once put it: They can tell you what you what they see that you may not see during the fight. but once the bell rings, it is up to the fighter to implement the gameplan or whatever the guy outside says or not.

IMO the right Corner man can win you the fight.

1) They can see what you are doing wrong (i.e. Junior's corner men begging him to put his hands up)

2) they can see what your opponent is doing wrong (i.e. when he comes to punch you, he drops his hands)

3) They can also push you (best comes to my mind is Greg Jackson after GSP tells him he pulled groin muscle "Hit him with it!!!")

4) they also can sense the score. Well, most of the time anyways.

BUT if they are bad, they can give you wrong advice and lose you the fight.

I.e. telling the fighter he won the 2 first rounds and then the fighter just fight to keep the score and ends up losing a decision.

I think a bad cornerman can hurt a fighter more than a good one can help. The fight is already won or lost in the gym, all a corner can really do during a fight is fuck things up by giving bad advice.

Very important to some not important to others, depends on the fighter.

#shouldthisbeinthisforum

I am not sure how much good they can do, but if inept, they can do a lot of bad

"Hit him with your groin Georeges!"
"It's about war!"

Corner men are hit and miss. I like those two quotes by Greg Jackson. In the first GSP had pulled his groin against Alves in like the 3rd round I believe and he said he was in a lot of pain and Greg told him to not worry about it and just hit Alves with his groin :icon_lol: Sure enough Georges came out and showed no impairment from his pulled groin so it was the right thing to say I guess as Georges just put it out of his mind

The second one is what fired up Condit for him to go out and hand Rory the beatdown he gave him in the 3rd round

Both instances clearly helped their fighters win. There's also times where Greg and other corner men have been an idiot like where Greg told GSP not to pass guard or when the corner tells their fighter he's winning when he's not so the fighter changes nothing. Back when I used to wrestle in highschool though cornermen were very important for my performance, both positive and negative. I can recall one time my coach fired me up by yelling at me between rounds about how I wasn't as good as the guy I was wrestling and he should walk through me 9/10, but that I was stronger and the guy was exhausted from trying to muscle me around and this round was my chance to go out and take the match if I ever wanted to make championships and sure enough I came out with a fire under my ass and pinned the guy in like 20 seconds to qualify for championships. One of my prouder moments in my wrestling career for sure as I'd lost to the guy before in another tournament and the guy was whipping me in this match too and without my coach I probably would have wilted in the 2nd round (I never had that good of cardio - I was the 1st round Lauzon of Ontario HS wrestling). On the other hand though, one time I was in a pretty tough match in the semi-finals at a tournament and my opponent was in the midst of pinning me and I was fighting it very well until my coach yelled at me "there's 1 minute left, keep fighting". Totally the wrong thing to say as 1 minute of high intensity wrestling is exhausting and I didn't have much left at that point and my coach knew I didn't have good cardio to begin with and upon hearing that the round wasn't close to being down I internally wilted and had nothing left and sure enough got pinned pretty soon afterwards. Your corner can play a big role

I just know if you've got Penn's cornermen in your corner, you're fucked...plain and simple.

Lol..
I think @ this point of his career, if he's fighting elite comp. @ WW, then he is pretty much fucked regardless of who he has in his corner.

They can be extremely important. I've seen an M-1 fight from ringside where the fight was declared a draw after 2 rounds and the sudden death round was about to start. The other guy was pretty banged up and gassed and he kept saying to his cornermen that there's no way he can fight for another round. They convinced him to fight and he went there, took the round and won the fight. Without his cornermen he would've probably quit.

Back