Corneal Transplant

Doughbelly

action scientist αlpha-nerd
@Gold
Reaction score
Anyone had one of these?

I underwent a simple, routine procedure (diamond burr for a loose epithelial patch) at the eye clinic four weeks ago, which became infected and rendered me blind in my left eye since. The organism causing this is yet unidentified - multiple attempts to culture and several biopsies - and the path lab has turned up nothing. No antibiotic or combination of antibiotic seems to be having any effect and now talk has turned to a corneal transplant.

Anyone got any experience with this?

And I swear, I saw the OD who did the diamond burr absentmindedly touch the tip of his instruments with his bare finger at one point during the procedure. Think a malpractice suit is in order?

What's the outlook? Is there any chance you'll recover? :(

That sucks. Did the doctor break the sterile field? I'm assuming he was gloved and gowned, but I've never seen any opthalmic surgery procedures so I don't know the prep protocol.

EDIT - just saw where you said bare finger. That doesn't seem kosher. Were you under any mild sedation or relaxers?

That sucks. Hopefully you get alot of money for that. See a lawyer cause you need to document everything immediately.

Also get a googly eye eyepatch

I'm very sorry you're going through this. Have you seen another doctor?

Definitely sue.

Hope your sight comes back, dude.

In the meantime, yea, maybe get a lawyer.

do the american thing, sue the bastards!

hope its not your dominant eye, cause that will make things difficult.

I won't try and sway you one way or another but I'll yell you what I know.
Here's what you've got going for you - you saw the doctor touch his surgical equipment.

Here's what you don't - It will be your word against the doctor's and any nurses, techs or assistants present (who will obviously back the doctor). If you were sedated (even mildly) they will call in to question whether that affected your perception and memory. Also, the procedure was done four weeks ago. When did you notice the infection? Was it within 72 hours of the surgery? If it was a couple weeks after the surgery it's more likely the infection was contracted after the procedure, outside the medical facility.

Have they found a microrganism that they can't identify, or have they not found anything at all?

I'm sure he has good insurance. If you do recover (with or without the corneal transplant) and you want to sue for any medical expenses or lost wages you've incurred, they may just quickly settle out of court. If you start getting into multi-million dollar pain and suffering claims, they'll definitely fight it.

But, I'm not a medical malpractice attorney. I do work in the medical field, and that's my two-cents. Hope your eye recovers and you get all of this straightened out.

Back