Cormier's wins at HW count towards his argument for a LHW title shot.

Takamine86

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Success in another division does in fact carry over. For example, Frankie Edgar got a titleshot for his featherweight debut after losing his belt to Ben Henderson at lightweight. He didn't have to start from scratch at Featherweight and work his way into contention, he got a titleshot based on his accomplishment at LW. Didn't hear anybody saying Edgar needs to prove himself at FW before he gets a shot at Aldo and rightly so. Because Edgar has proven himself to be a top LW. Cormier did the same, he was arguably the #2 HW in the world before dropping to LHW. Cormier also dominated one of the greatest fighters of all time (Hendo).

Back then, if GSP decided he wanted to move up and fight Anderson for the belt, nobody would be claiming he needs to start from scratch at MW and earn a title shot or say his accomplishments at WW mean nothing at MW. If Anderson wanted to fight Jon Jones for the belt back then, nobody would have said he needed to earn a title shot at LHW and his accomplishments at MW mean nothing at LHW. If Jose Aldo moves up to LW to fight Anthony Pettis, nobody will say Jose Aldo needs to start from scratch an earn a title shot because his accomplishments at FW mean nothing at LW. If Jon Jones decides he wants to move up to HW and fight Cain for the belt, nobody will say he needs to start from scratch and work his way up to a titleshot because his accomplishments at LHW mean nothing at HW. You get the idea. A fighters accomplishments from previous weight classes can be taken into account for that fighters new weight class.

Pretty much agree with ya. But even if I didn't, no one else other than Gus stands as much of a chance against Jones as Cormier does. So I don't know why anyone would complain if Cormier gets the next shot after Gus.

Pretty much agree with ya. But even if I didn't, no one else other than Gus stands as much of a chance against Jones as Cormier does. So I don't know why anyone would complain if Cormier gets the next shot after Gus.

I don't know why either.

several things, all the guys you mentioned were champs who fought everyone in their div and moved down for "superfights". DC moved down because he did not want to fight the champ at hw.

nobody is saying DC needs to start from scratch.

lhw has had a few title shots off of one fight win streaks so DC can be pushed for a shot, but thats more because the div has had terrible matchmaking which has allowed sonnen to be top ten at lhw and getting hendo knocked out by vitor.

DCs wins at hw already count towards him getting the quick road to a title shot. the reason he didn't get an instant shot is cause the ufc would piss off a lot of big names in the process.

With the exception of Edgar, all those guys you listed are/were dominant champs with multiple title defenses and Edgar himself was coming off a pretty horrible decision loss to the reigning LW champ. Cormier is quite a ways off from being there and carrying that kind of clout.

Not that I disagree entirely with what you say, though. My biggest problem with Cormier coming down and getting a title shot was the timing. Glover and Gustafsson (who arguably deserved an immediate rematch) were ahead of him. Were there not such strong contenders, I wouldn't have really minded.

But now that Glover was defeated and Gustafsson has his shot seemingly secured, I don't care that he's lined up after that, or even if he replaced Gustafsson in the event of injury. I just didn't agree with them being swept aside in his favor.

I have no problem with DC getting a shot after Gus. It's a new fight and nobody else in the division seems worthy of a title shot.

I can see some of the LHWs getting a bit restless. Two title shots have already gone to two MWs, Sonnen and Belfort, and now another from a HW. Of course, a lot of this is because MWs were willing to step up and fight on short notice. To DC's defense, he has fought twice at LHW, although against an undersized Henderson and a last minute no name fighter with very little experience.

People just need something to bitch about. Anyone denying that DC is a threat to Jones is fooling themselves.

Can't think of anyone going undefeated and moving down a weight class.

While he's not flashy or dynamic, no one has come close to taking him out. That and the reason I just mentioned above are why jones pissed me off trying to duck him.

He's prime for a shot right now. Would hate to see him lose his next fight or get hurt or something. He's in his prime, but the window is shrinking. Like to see him fight for the title in less than 12 months.

Can't think of anyone going undefeated and moving down a weight class.

While he's not flashy or dynamic, no one has come close to taking him out. That and the reason I just mentioned above are why jones pissed me off trying to duck him.

He's prime for a shot right now. Would hate to see him lose his next fight or get hurt or something. He's in his prime, but the window is shrinking. Like to see him fight for the title in less than 12 months.

did cormier ducking cain piss you off too?
how bought when fitch and kos ducked each other?
:rolleyes:

the fight will happen, nobody ducked anybody, the ufc 'Usually' doesn't allow it.

I've seen far, far more posters complaining about people complaining about DC getting a title shot than I've seen people actually complaining about it.

Nothing could be lamer than Randy Couture losing at 205 and then getting a shot at the HW belt.

Cormier is gonna get dominated in that fight IMO I also don't believe he has the tank to last. So just imagine getting dominated then getting tired and then being tired while being dominated. Cormier loses by 4th rd Tko/sub JBJ is just too good right now and he keeps getting better

the fight will happen, nobody ducked anybody, the ufc 'Usually' doesn't allow it.

No it didn't; I wouldn't fight my friends. Train, fine. Fight, no.

But yeah, wrong use of words. Jones hasn't actually ducked him. He's just stated that Cormier needs to do more. That's complete bullshit. He's been ready for a title shot since he came down. But he's rightly been behind Gus and Glover.

How does a challenger duck the champion? :rolleyes:

Only in mma would a heavyweight that has beaten top 10 heavyweights be considered not ready to fight for a title in a lower weight division.

Only in mma would a heavyweight that has beaten top 10 heavyweights be considered not ready to fight for a title in a lower weight division.

Count toward, definitely.

The problem is with immediate title shots, without proving you can make and fight well at the lower weight division.

To take an extreme example, if JDS decided he wanted to fight at MW, should he be offered an immediate title shot?

Especially DC who was an obviously undersized hw. His wins at heavyweight are more relevant to his title shot at LHW than wins over non-trt 199lb Hendo and Coffee Boy.

Back