Cormier Would Beat Jones At Heavyweight

I guess if your guy loses the actual fight you still have the immaginary one.

2h34mrb.jpg

Jones could stack on muscle and become super Jones.

The logical fallacy in this argument is the assumption that Jones would not tailor his training differently for a HW fight than a fight at LHW. Would DC be able to bully around a Jones who packed on an extra 20 lbs. of muscle? A Jones who didn't have to deplete himself for a weight cut? Jones has a lot more room to add to his frame than DC does, and when Jones does decide to make himself a HW, he's not going to come in at Hendo weight of 207, he's going to be out there as a 240 pound monster and will be a wrecking machine.

Cormier just doesnt put on 40 pounds of fat. You dont think he loses muscle cutting. Hes naturally big. He has in a way what fedor had, in that their was a lot of muscle underneath what appeared to be guys that looked a tad big. Cormier at HW is a different fighter.

Not really sure what you're trying to get at, Cormier is not really fat he's just shaped different is what I think I'm reading???

Jones frame has more room to grow. If anything Cormier would get beaten even more convincingly at HW.

I wish cormier would eat right and compete at 205 with more muscle mass and less fat. It'd make his weight cut easier.

The logical fallacy in this argument is the assumption that Jones would not tailor his training differently for a HW fight than a fight at LHW. Would DC be able to bully around a Jones who packed on an extra 20 lbs. of muscle? A Jones who didn't have to deplete himself for a weight cut? Jones has a lot more room to add to his frame than DC does, and when Jones does decide to make himself a HW, he's not going to come in at Hendo weight of 207, he's going to be out there as a 240 pound monster and will be a wrecking machine.

Your premise that Jones would definitely be able to add "an extra 20 pounds of muscle" and "be a wrecking machine" is not the foregone conclusion you believe it to be. Is it a possibility? Yes. Is it also possible that Jones does not have the genetic potential to add even ten more pounds of muscle than he currently has. You simply cannot predict what his genetic potential for packing on large amounts of muscular mass is with any accuracy.

BTW, do you have any idea what a massive gain twenty pounds of muscle mass would be? If you want to get a true idea of what twenty pounds of meat looks like, the next time you go to the butcher shop, have your butcher show you a 20 pound roast of beef. He may not have one that big. Then have him show you two ten pound roasts side by side. Then you will gain a new appreciation of just how much of a gain in muscle mass you are talking about.

Jon Jones knows better than you if he is what is called "a hard gainer" or not. A hard gainer is someone who despite tremendous effort, has a very hard time packing on additional muscular mass because he simply doesn't have good genetics for gaining large amounts of muscle.

People range in how easily they can acquire muscular mass on a continuum from doing it very easily to having extreme difficulty doing it just as there exists a continuum of people who range from those who are able to tolerate ultraviolet rays of sunlight. On one end of the continuum you have albinos who cannot tolerate sunlight at all and at the other end you have people of African descent who have a natural skin tone similar to that of Jon Jones. It's possible that when it comes to gaining muscle, Jones is close, metaphorically speaking, to being at the albino end of the spectrum.

Consider this food for thought: If Jon Jones knew that he could acquire 20 pounds of pure muscle after a year of intense weight training and he had a strong belief that with those 20 extra pounds he could become a wrecking machine in the Heavyweight Division who no longer needed to deplete himself of energy every time he was getting ready for a fight and had to cut weight, why wouldn't he have gone ahead and done it already? Are we to believe that Jones is a masochist who wants to put himself through the torture of cutting huge amounts of weight every time he has to fight? Are we to believe that Jones wouldn't be just as happy or very likely happier to have the Heavyweight Championship Belt instead of The Light heavyweight Championship Belt?

Or is the truth that Jones would love to be able to be the rightful claimant to The UFC Heavyweight Title and have the notoriety of being called "the baddest man on the planet" and not have to go through the torture of weight cutting every time he has a fight, but he knows something about his body and how he'd be likely to fare in the Heavyweight Division and for some reason or some combination of reasons Jones is pretty damn sure he wouldn't do nearly as well as a Heavyweight as he's doing now as a Light Heavyweight?

If the fight would have taken place at HW DC would have lost the exactly same way. If the cut "drained him", which I don't think is true, then he should learn how to eat healthy instead of cutting a lot of water weight prior to the weigh in. DC has obviously lost some fat so I don't think the weight cut could have been that tough for him. Unfortunately I don't think any version of DC can beat Jones even though I thought that would be the case. DC is simply too small to fight someone like Jones who uses his size and reach so incredibly well.

Jones would be even stronger because he wouldn't have to cut weight.

That and he would bulk up too.

I wish cormier would eat right and compete at 205 with more muscle mass and less fat. It'd make his weight cut easier.

I wish Cormier would stop basing his decision on which division in which to fight on emotion and start basing his decision on rational, logical thought. He belongs at Heavyweight. There is a reason that's where he has spent most of his MMA career as a heavyweight. There is a reason he is undefeated in the heavyweight division. It's where he belongs. Wasn't experiencing kidney failure while cutting weight to 211.6 pounds back when he was an amateur wrestler enough of a wake-up call to tell him that to make the cut to 205 every time he fights is playing Russian Roulette?

Here's one more thing to consider: Cormier made the transition to Light Heavyweight because he is such good friends with Cain Velasquez that they didn't want to risk getting into a situation where Cormier would become the number one contender for Cain's belt and the two friends would have to fight each other. Well, if they're such good friends, how do you think Cain would feel if one time when Daniel is cutting weight for a fight he experiences kidney failure and this time doesn't make it?

Last edited:
Or is the truth that Jones would love to be able to be the rightful claimant to The UFC Heavyweight Title and have the notoriety of being called "the baddest man on the planet" and not have to go through the torture of weight cutting every time he has a fight, but he knows something about his body and how he'd be likely to fare in the Heavyweight Division and for some reason or some combination of reasons Jones is pretty damn sure he wouldn't do nearly as well as a Heavyweight as he's doing now as a Light Heavyweight?

And what if Jones simply had more advantages in LHW than in the HW (like reach ect) and know it, and he know also about him not being guy with KO power, which is more iportnt in HW. So he and his team prefer to be undisputed,practically unbeatable and 20-0 in LHW (nearly GOAT resume) than superdominant, but not AS dominant in HW with occasionally losses (in HW one lucky punch have more weight and could do everything)? He just go with the safety road. But in particular matchup vs DC IMO nothing changes in HW.

Last edited:
Your premise that Jones would definitely be able to add "an extra 20 pounds of muscle" and "be a wrecking machine" is not the foregone conclusion you believe it to be...(deleted, too long)

Long post, but I'll reply to each part.

Paragraph 1..."You simply cannot predict what his genetic potential for packing on large amounts of muscular mass is with any accuracy." You are absolutely correct, I can't predict exactly what would happen. But I do know he has a 6'3" brother who is 330+ lbs, and a 6'5" brother who is 265 lbs, both of whom have the genetic potential to play in the NFL. It's a blessed family, genetically.

Paragraph 2..."BTW, do you have any idea what a massive gain twenty pounds of muscle mass would be?" Yes, actually I do. As a wrestler I competed at 171s, 189s, 215s, and heavyweight. Putting on three or four lbs. of muscle a month is a reasonable goal for someone who is not a "hard gainer"...but we'll get to that next.

Paragraph 3..."A hard gainer is someone who despite tremendous effort, has a very hard time packing on additional muscular mass because he simply doesn't have good genetics for gaining large amounts of muscle." Again, I'd reference his brothers as an example of ability (common genetics) to put on size, but that would be nothing but observational circumstance. Looking at Jones, it is quite obvious that his body type is not that of an ectomorph, which is most common of hard gainers. Additionally, if he were in a hard gaining situation, it would make more sense for him to drop to 185 than it would to heavyweight, but he's the one who has spoken of moving up rather than moving down. Ectomorphs have a hard time gaining ANY weight. Have you seen the "belly pic" of Jones when he was out of his training camp? Yeah...no problem for that guy putting on weight. Next.

Paragraph 4...you further explain what a hard gainer is. Thanks for your dumbing everything down, I'm obviously drooling all over myself and struggling to tie my shoes. It's possible that when it comes to gaining muscle, Jones is close, metaphorically speaking, to being at the albino end of the spectrum.

JonesMandelSherdog1.jpg

Yes...the albino of gaining muscle.

Paragraph 5..."If Jon Jones knew that he could acquire 20 pounds of pure muscle after a year of intense weight training and he had a strong belief that with those 20 extra pounds he could become a wrecking machine in the Heavyweight Division who no longer needed to deplete himself of energy every time he was getting ready for a fight and had to cut weight, why wouldn't he have gone ahead and done it already?" Umm, millions of dollars in fight and sponsorship money, being the center of attention to feed his ego, the fact that he may not want to relinquish his belt, the fact that the cuts aren't greatly negatively impacting his performance (obviously...and he's stated that they are getting easier), LHW is a more prestigious division at this time than HW. I can think of a lot of reasons that he might not want to jump out of the LHW division to spend a year focusing on gaining muscle.

and lastly...paragraph 6..."Or is the truth that Jones would love to be able to be the rightful claimant to The UFC Heavyweight Title and have the notoriety of being called "the baddest man on the planet" and not have to go through the torture of weight cutting every time he has a fight, but he knows something about his body and how he'd be likely to fare in the Heavyweight Division and for some reason or some combination of reasons Jones is pretty damn sure he wouldn't do nearly as well as a Heavyweight as he's doing now as a Light Heavyweight." Jones has already said he is going to move to HW, it's a matter of when. I'm sure Jones thinks he will do well...the man does not lack for confidence. Jackson-Wink currently has a surging HW in Arlovski and a perennial contender in Overeem. Maybe Jones is being a good teammate and not looking to jump in front of other teammates who are in title contention again? Maybe, like the reasons I listed above, he doesn't want to move. Your reasons are nothing but speculation, particularly your off-kilter thoughts on him being a hard gainer.

Back