Cormier Would Beat Jones At Heavyweight

quite possible IMO. Cormier did tag jones quite a few times in that fight, same punches at HW would have hurt HW's badly.

At LHW, he has very little power, not enough to hurt jones. I was never convinced that cormier at LHW would work btw. The guy is small as is, and doesnt have KO power to start with, going to LHW, he'd have to rely heavily on his wrestling, which doesnt work well with jones.

What in the fuck. He knocked Cummins silly in round 1. Is that what we are down to now? DC has no power after he cuts off all his fat? There are about 10 reasons floating around for why DC didn't beat Bones.

Here is the real reason.

Bones is the better fighter.

That should tell you all you need to know. Why would a man settle for being the light-heavyweight champion if he could have a chance of becoming the Heavyweight Champion? The Heavyweight Title Belt is the only belt that means you are the best. The other belts indicate that the holder of the belt is the best only for his size but he is protected from having to fight anyone who weighs more. The UFC Heavyweight Championship Belt means you aren't just the best for your size; it means you can beat anyone in the UFC. The Heavyweight Title Belt signifies that you are simply the best.

The HW champ gets paid no more than any weight class champion on that merit alone so your point is dumb as fuck.

Going down to 205 pounds drained Cormier of his power. He never aspired to fight at light-heavyweight anyway until he let his friendship with Cain Velasquez get in the way of business. Jones was fighting at the weight class the best suits him and Cormier was not.

Allow a rematch where jones and Cormier each are allowed to weigh what they believe is their optimum weight and Cormier would take Jones down and keep him there. Wrestling is Cormier's specialty but there was almost no wrestling in the fight they just had because Cormier didn't have the power to take Jones down and keep him there. The one time Cormier picked Jones up and then dropped him (instead of slamming him down with force because he had so little strength) took just about all the strength he had. In comparison, look how Cormier handled Josh Barnett who is a lot bigger than Jones and has a lot more wrestling skill as well.

Thats it,Im outta here
caddyshack-o.gif

Well never know unless it happens, which it won't. So all we have to based this on is their fight at LHW, which Jones destroyed him so...

Not so sure I follow your train of thought there, bucko.

And Jones would be stronger and heavier to toss around at hw.

He destroyed Glover, Machida and Shogun. He didnt destroy DC, he clearly won, but it wasnt a one sided beatdown.

Fair enough. Perhaps that's why it wasn't all the exciting. Sort of just did enough to win.. shitty when that happens during title fights.

First DC came down from heavies to take Jon's belt as was stated by Mr.Cormier. Now you saying this was all a big mistake Jon was suppose to go up to HW so DC could fix Jon's business?

possibly yeah. but i dont think theyll fight at hw

Barnett has more wrestling skill than Jones? On what planet? Barnett is a catch wrestler, has a better sub game, but his "wrestling skill" is levels below Jones.

Also TS, do you have any evidence that Jones optimum weight is what he's fighting at now? You know for sure he isn't everything he is now but stronger and with more power at say, 235-240 lbs.? I don't know what he'd be like at that weight, and I have news for you: NEITHER DO YOU. He might be slower and less effective, he might be a flat out wrecking machine, he might be the same thing he is now. We don't know.

This is the only correct answer to this hypothetical situation. But something about a yoked Jones at 245 doesn't sound like a terribly easier fight.

Their fight was close enough at LHW that this should be a distinct possibility at HW especially considering Cormier has most experience at HW, knows his body & limits most at that weight class.

Fair enough. Perhaps that's why it wasn't all the exciting. Sort of just did enough to win.. shitty when that happens during title fights.

I just figured Jones couldn't do more. DC brought it to him in the first few rounds.

Uh he changed his diet & ate better. His own words.

Can we end this talk now..Fact is at HW he was a short armed LHW who ate a lot of popeyes chicken and had a decent sized gut. The HW division is/was/will always be garbage, get over it people.

Because only Cormier would gain something by not having to cut weight?

Because only Cormier would gain something by not having to cut weight?

Not only that, but I think Cormier had a great cut, right? Morever, how can eating healthier and being in better shape be as detrimental as people make it out to be?

You're basically saying that none of the other belts matter?

Do you think all the lower weight guys suck because they can't challenge for the HW belt?

I believe all the UFC belts matter. In the women's division there is only one belt as of right now that exists so that makes it an important belt.

In the men's division all the belts matter and how much they matter is based on how protected the holder of that belt is from other fighters. The Heavyweight Champion is protected from nobody so that makes it the belt that signifies he is simply the best fighter there is. The light-heavyweight champion is protected from anyone who weighs more than 205 pounds so that makes it the second most prestigious belt. The middleweight belt is the third most prestigious belt, and so on. I enjoy watching everyone from the lightweights to the heavyweights.

Anyone below lightweight is not of much interest to me although the belts below lightweight do matter but that type of fighting is not to my taste as I find it very artificial. They're taking someone who as far as I'm concerned has no place being a professional fighter and then by constructing such an artificial environment by protecting them against the vast majority of fighters, they make a "champion" out of the guy. He's a champion but a champion of what? A champion who doesn't have the guts or ability to face even an average sized man. The lightweights are the division that resembles the average sized man. I believe a fighter who wants to call himself a professional and maybe even a champion should at least have the guts to take on any average sized man.

Royce Gracie was what they call a welterweight today and he was willing to fight heavyweights with less rules than they have today! That takes guts and the fact that he won so much shows that he also had tremendous ability. He was willing to fight three times in one night against fighters of any size and he would do it all for only $50,000. That's a rare breed of man that I'm not sure even really exists anymore, at least in what would be considered the athletic prime of their lives.

Going down to 205 pounds drained Cormier of his power. He never aspired to fight at light-heavyweight anyway until he let his friendship with Cain Velasquez get in the way of business. Jones was fighting at the weight class the best suits him and Cormier was not.

Allow a rematch where jones and Cormier each are allowed to weigh what they believe is their optimum weight and Cormier would take Jones down and keep him there. Wrestling is Cormier's specialty but there was almost no wrestling in the fight they just had because Cormier didn't have the power to take Jones down and keep him there. The one time Cormier picked Jones up and then dropped him (instead of slamming him down with force because he had so little strength) took just about all the strength he had. In comparison, look how Cormier handled Josh Barnett who is a lot bigger than Jones and has a lot more wrestling skill as well.

<insert random fart noises into above post, speaking with Tennessee accent>

could happen, doubt it though, i bet hes at his best at LHW, when hes forced to diet - sounded like he did it right this time and dint have to drain the sht out of himself

I disagree. I think Jones beats him at both weights. I think people forget that Daniel put up a good fight against Jon and that he is a beast at LHW. He demolished Cummings, and Dominated Hendo in a way that a top LHW like Rashad could not do. Daniel is used to being the smaller man who controls the bigger man, and although he had success in the clinch, he just could not physically control Jon. I don't think this would change at all at HW.

The HW champ gets paid no more than any weight class champion on that merit alone so your point is dumb as fuck.

Your controversial at best. There isn't a man in The UFC right now who is making the kind of money that Brock Lesnar made in his best paying fights so historically being Heavyweight Champion has been the weight class where a man can potentially earn more money than in any of the other weight classes per fight.

The merit that a fighter gets paid on is how many people can he draw to the arena and to PPV to see him fight. Clearly being the rightful claimant of the UFC belt that signifies that you are simply the best fighter in the entire organization helps draw an audience that pays to see you fight is one of the merits upon which your drawing power is based. I've never said there aren't other factors which contribute to a fighter's drawing power but that is one of the contributing factors. So you're wrong and you're not only wrong but you're writing style brings to mind what I'd expect from a high school dropout.

Back