Cormier Would Beat Jones At Heavyweight

These threads are always funny. I should start one titled " if Jones wasn't on that nose candy he would've finished DC in the 4th."

DC would lose to Jones at every weight class and catch weight class you can dream of. Jones just has too much reach over him. DC takes a lot of punishment closing the distance. DC is an awesome fighter and he will beat 99% of the UFC; however, Jones is that special animal that will always be a thorn in DC's side just like Fedor was that once in a life time fighter that was a thorn in Big Nog's side.

Someone who I believe would give Jones more competition at LHW or HW would be Gus. Gus can hit Jones at will from long range or close range. Mitigating the reach advantage with similar physical stats, Gus versus Jones boils down to pure heart and skill. As we saw in their last fight, they were evenly match.

Going down to 205 pounds drained Cormier of his power. He never aspired to fight at light-heavyweight anyway until he let his friendship with Cain Velasquez get in the way of business. Jones was fighting at the weight class the best suits him and Cormier was not.

Allow a rematch where jones and Cormier each are allowed to weigh what they believe is their optimum weight and Cormier would take Jones down and keep him there. Wrestling is Cormier's specialty but there was almost no wrestling in the fight they just had because Cormier didn't have the power to take Jones down and keep him there. The one time Cormier picked Jones up and then dropped him (instead of slamming him down with force because he had so little strength) took just about all the strength he had. In comparison, look how Cormier handled Josh Barnett who is a lot bigger than Jones and has a lot more wrestling skill as well.

dc_zps2f4ca374.gif

cormier would still gas quicker and jones still would be half a foot talller

Is DC a natural HW or MW? I wish people here would make up their mind, there's a huge difference between the two.

Barnett has more wrestling skill than Jones? On what planet? Barnett is a catch wrestler, has a better sub game, but his "wrestling skill" is levels below Jones.

I heard Uriah Faber on the MMA Hour after the fight and he said that a lot of people don't know how good Jones could have been as a college wrestler had he stuck with it. He said that Jones outwrestled guys that went on to have big time all American college careers when he was in Junior college. Jones simply left school early when his girl got pregnant..

The move down definitely drained Cormier of some HW strength & yes, Cormier would be stronger at HW but so would Jon Jones who would probably add some muscle with a move to HW. So Jon could probably beat Cormier at HW as well.

Maybe, who knows. I do think if they weigh the same at any fight Jones beats him though. If its 205 Jones vs 235 or 250 Cormier then maybe Cormier has an advantage. If its Jones 235 or Jones 250 vs the same weight Cormier I got Jones.

Maybe, who knows. I do think if they weigh the same at any fight Jones beats him though. If its 205 Jones vs 235 or 250 Cormier then maybe Cormier has an advantage. If its Jones 235 or Jones 250 vs the same weight Cormier I got Jones.

Exactly. IMO if both would be 235 or 235 Jones vs 250 Cormier Jones maybe would win even more decisively because Cormier would slow down a bit.

Cormier I would say has a better chance at heavyweight. People forget that this guy has went through some weight cutting horrors and no one at that weight has exactly given him any trouble.

Anyone else see the version of this fight TS is talking about? dude, they were hugging all fight.. that's called.. wrestling.. there doesn't have to be take downs for it to be wrestling...

Boxers hug too during their fights. According to your logic Boxing is part striking and part wrestling.

"Hugging all fight" is called boring. It was far from scientific wrestling. There wasn't even one example of chain wrestling in the entire fight. You probably don't know what chain wrestling is but it includes a variety of holds, reversals and escapes.

I think he could beat him at lhw given the right conditions. A full training camp with ain and slightly different gameplan

He would lose worse.
he'd come in even heavier in fat, and Jones could add mass. Jones would also expect the dirty boxing and have a much more figured out gameplan.
I think Jones would finish it the second time.

it's not that much about strength as dealing with Jones' length in the clinch and taking shots to get there. Even if those shots don't hurt him badly, they keep Jones ahead on the scorecards.

Jones can lean forward and DC isn't getting in on his legs, he'd have to get Jon against the cage and go for a single, which looked tough to accomplish. Or take him down from the clinch, where he had trouble securing underhooks because of Jones' length and skill.

Look at it from Jones' perspective, too, not just from DC's. Jones would be bigger himself, while DC would probably be 10-15 pounds max heavier. Also, Cro Cop outwrestled Barnett. Josh is a solid wrestler, but not elite in mma in it like Jones.

Back