Cormier training with Gatsalov

seems like a compliment to jones wrestling threat/ability. dc wants to be ready.

Yeah, Gustafsson was very mindful of the TD threat against Jones, a little too much. He wasn't sure if he could deal with stuffing them and after he did know he could he still didn't really want to risk it. But the actual offensive wrestling of Jones' itself was negated, minus the mental threat of the takedown still largely looming (which will always be there at least to some extent against a high level wrestler or TD artist).

We're on the same page. Had Gus been a little more confident and pressed the stand-up a little more, Jones might not have had the space to setup the spinning elbow that more or less ended Gus' night.

Jones had nothing for Gus going backwards and Gus was easily commanding Jon's retreat so a little more aggressiveness by Gus would have changed everything. Something that can only be learned in battle I guess...

I am curious to see whether dc can close the distance. He is facing a pretty big height/reach disadvantage and jones is great defensively.

The wrestling will probably be negated, although I can see DC landing a double or two.

We're on the same page. Had Gus been a little more confident and pressed the stand-up a little more, Jones might not have had the space to setup the spinning elbow that more or less ended Gus' night.

Jones had nothing for Gus going backwards and Gus was easily commanding Jon's retreat so a little more aggressiveness by Gus would have changed everything. Something that can only be learned in battle I guess...

Yeah. This is also something that Josh Barnett talked about on the Joe Rogan podcast a while back. He said that Gustafsson had a lot of success but didn't really capitalize much on the many openings he created, or Jones' himself created. Jon turning his head in reaction to being punched and looking away briefly was something that was discussed. He wasn't trying to roll (aka fade or pull) with the punch, it was just a bad habitual reaction to eating punches at times. This didn't look good for Jon, he looked like he'd really never been popped hard in the face before.

Back