Cormier just weighed-in at 230lbs, lost 8 lbs

I don't know why people still argue against this.

Most skilled =/= best.
it blows my mind.

especially since there's just nothing like it in any other sports, and if I were to claim that some small but very very skilled basketball player was "better" than lebron james, these same people would laugh.

He already beat the biggest or second biggest HW in the UFC.
true but it was a pretty quick fight.

the weird thing about size differences is a very skilled fighter can go quite a few fights without it mattering, and then one day they lose horribly and suddenly everyone sees they need to cut.

like vera. didn't seem a need for him to cut when he was knocking out frank mir, but suddenly he's mounted by werdum and smothered by sylvia and it becomes pretty obvious.

Best of luck. Freaks me out just thinking of him cutting weight bad kidneys

Him cutting and maintaining a lower weight is fine (and desirable from a medical perspective.) It is the chronic dehydrating that is dangerous for the kidneys.

He's still carrying a lot of fat so he can easily make 205 without cutting much water

How do you know what's easy for a guy who's kidneys shut down on him while trying to do this?

How do you know what's easy for a guy who's kidneys shut down on him while trying to do this?

Because I understand the pathophysiology of kidney related diseases, the physiology of the kidneys, and the mechanisms by which weight is lost and gained.

If he pulls it off and still maintain good energy then watch out. I see a lot of juking and jiving from the LHW division. :icon_chee

Because I understand the pathophysiology of kidney related diseases, the physiology of the kidneys, and the mechanisms by which weight is lost and gained.

But you don't know HIS body

Unless of course you're his doctor... Maybe you're his doctor?

And I wasn't even asking you ... Unless of course you're doing the multiple account thing and just exposed yourself

But you don't know HIS body

Unless of course you're his doctor... Maybe you're his doctor?

And I wasn't even asking you ... Unless of course you're doing the multiple account thing and just exposed yourself

ive exposed myself many times but not on sherdog.

if i was his dr, i could not admit it; fucking HIPAA

DC is looking good for this fight. He already had a speed advantage at HW but he should look even quicker tomorrow.

ive exposed myself many times but not on sherdog.

if i was his dr, i could not admit it; fucking HIPAA

So you DON'T know what you're talking about... Got it

And do you understand the psychological effect which the kidney failure had on him? If my kidneys failed from a previous weight cut, I would be terrified of trying to cut weight again, and would be very hesitant to risk it again. Just because something is physically possible, doesn't mean that the mind will allow that something to happen without putting up a fight.

it blows my mind.

especially since there's just nothing like it in any other sports, and if I were to claim that some small but very very skilled basketball player was "better" than lebron james, these same people would laugh.

It only happens because there are weight classes in MMA, which are necessary because MMA and fighting sports in general have lower numbers of competitors.

true but it was a pretty quick fight.

the weird thing about size differences is a very skilled fighter can go quite a few fights without it mattering, and then one day they lose horribly and suddenly everyone sees they need to cut.

like vera. didn't seem a need for him to cut when he was knocking out frank mir, but suddenly he's mounted by werdum and smothered by sylvia and it becomes pretty obvious.

I guess in the case of Cormier, it's very unlikely to see him manhandled because of his wrestling background. In that same vein though, while his wrestling background prevents him from being manhandled at HW, it could be a big asset in him manhandling guys at LHW.

Obviously it's usually beneficial to be fighting guys who are of similar size to you, but the LHW to HW jump is a strange one. The average skill level jump between HW and LHW is much larger than between any other division, so sometimes dropping down is not a solution. If you're fighting at LHW and weigh 204, a lot of the time it would probably be better to just cut down in weight and fight guys who are about your size. Hendo is an exception, partly because the cut is very difficult for him and partly because he's a badass. For Cormier, he's probably skilled enough to compete at LHW, all we know is that he's far smaller than the average HW. Then again as the old saying goes: If it aint broke, don't fix it.

i would like to see him fight a HW for a while but then make the move to 205

Before Cormier moves to LHW I sure would like to see him pummel JDS before leaving.

It only happens because there are weight classes in MMA, which are necessary because MMA and fighting sports in general have lower numbers of competitors.

I guess in the case of Cormier, it's very unlikely to see him manhandled because of his wrestling background. In that same vein though, while his wrestling background prevents him from being manhandled at HW, it could be a big asset in him manhandling guys at LHW.

Obviously it's usually beneficial to be fighting guys who are of similar size to you, but the LHW to HW jump is a strange one. The average skill level jump between HW and LHW is much larger than between any other division, so sometimes dropping down is not a solution. If you're fighting at LHW and weigh 204, a lot of the time it would probably be better to just cut down in weight and fight guys who are about your size. Hendo is an exception, partly because the cut is very difficult for him and partly because he's a badass. For Cormier, he's probably skilled enough to compete at LHW, all we know is that he's far smaller than the average HW. Then again as the old saying goes: If it aint broke, don't fix it.

coming from a wrestling background definitely helps when trying to fight at a heavier weight class than maybe you should.

just look at randy couture; even barnett couldn't really "throw him around" in fact randy was outwrestling him for most of their fight

and randy held his own very well against Brock Lesnar

coming from a wrestling background definitely helps when trying to fight at a heavier weight class than maybe you should.

just look at randy couture; even barnett couldn't really "throw him around" in fact randy was outwrestling him for most of their fight

and randy held his own very well against Brock Lesnar

Absolutely.

I think Cormier will be fine at whichever weight class he chooses, he's skill enough at LHW and has the wrestling background to not be outmuscled at HW. He doesn't want to fight Cain though, so he probably can't make the decision to go to LHW until Cain and Overeem fight.

The man who beats all other men is the best.

I'm not talking about the most skilled or the most technical; physical tools (like size and strength) are part of the equation.

If Cain and Aldo fought, obviously Cain would win. Thus Cain is better than Aldo (simply by virtue of having the better tools)

The most Aldo can hope for is to be the best featherweight or maybe the best lightweight.

While Cain can simply be the Best.

The simplest way to explain this is this: Fighters move UP for a challenge, and there's nothing beyond Heavyweight. It's as high as you can go; and thus it's the ultimate challenge.

HW is not the ultimate challenge, its is the highest weight division with many slow and un-athletic fighters, its not the ultimate challenge.

The best fighter is the best fighter and the HW champ is not the best fighter nor is it a valid or factual claim that he is the best fighter in the world until he proves it.

Cains ability to beat everyone else has not been determined nor the idea that because someone weighs 300 pounds he is considered the best. If he is not a more skilled fighter or has not displayed that he can beat them then he isnt better, just bigger.

Cain is a good fighter and a HW champ but thats it.

Last edited:
Back