Cormier just weighed-in at 230lbs, lost 8 lbs

Good to see. He can lose some weight permanently and have to cut very little to make lhw. He'll be a monster there ...

why the heck would cormier cut to lhw? He's a successful HW, and HW's are cream of the crop. It would be another thing if he was a sub part HW... he's not.

If we weighs 230 without cutting he could make LHW easily. there are LW's who cut 25lbs.

If I understand correctly, Cormier's whole problem is his kidney can't take much weight cutting at all. If he wants to fight at 205, he basically has to do like the Japanese fighters and be an actual 205-pounder, i.e not having to cut any weight to make the limit. Which means he would be a damn small LHW, compared to pretty much every other fighter in the division.

why the heck would cormier cut to lhw? He's a successful HW, and HW's are cream of the crop. It would be another thing if he was a sub part HW... he's not.

Do you follow MMA? His teammate/friend just won the UFC HW Championship is why he's deciding to go to HW

youll have to explain the bold part.

If we weighs 230 without cutting he could make LHW easily. there are LW's who cut 25lbs.

Normally I'd agree but he already gave himself a kidney failure cutting weight to make 211 lbs so he needs to be more careful than your average fighter not to push it too far

I also wonder if he'll have as much success at LHW. He seems to have a tremendous speed and athletic advantage over most HWs. Moving to LHW he could lose some of this advantage. Of course he would gain relative strength and size compared to his competition so maybe that's a wash. Historically HW is easier division than LHW though.

If I understand correctly, Cormier's whole problem is his kidney can't take much weight cutting at all. If he wants to fight at 205, he basically has to do like the Japanese fighters and be an actual 205-pounder, i.e not having to cut any weight to make the limit. Which means he would be a damn small LHW, compared to pretty much every other fighter in the division.

I still think he would be the strongest LHW if he doesn't need to cut the weight, so him being small is moot since he's been fighting against HW's that tower him where frame is concerned.

Do you follow MMA? His teammate/friend just won the UFC HW Championship is why he's deciding to go to HW
for the right price, they will fight. Too bad their friends, but when I watch the UFC, I'm not looking for explanations about friendship, like ortiz vs liddell dodging... I want to see the best fighters in the world.
youll have to explain the bold part.
LHW champion of the world = best lhw on the planet
HW champion of the world = Best fighter on the planet.

that is just false.

depending on who he is you might call him 'baddest man' on the planet.. but thats really just because hes the biggest. HW champ is not always the 'best fighter on the planet'.

I just watched the weigh ins and his interview after......his eyes looked sunken like he has just cut weight.

I don't understand that atall but it definately looked like he had cut some.

037_Daniel-Cormier-Strikeforce-GPF.jpg

Like this guy needs a dietitian to lose weight. He's probably forcing food down his throat just to stay at 205+.

Lol well I think with someone pushing him on the diet would make things easier...everyone keeps making it seem likes it will kill him to cut down to 205..

He's still carrying a lot of fat so he can easily make 205 without cutting much water, it seems like he's going for it, he's always weighed-in at ~240 in the past.

I hope he makes his UFC debut at LHW in a #1 contender bout.

I don't know about "easily." His kidneys failed the last time he tried to make 212 for the Olympics.

You really think Tim Sylvia has ever been the best fighter on the planet?
Or that Randy Couture was the best fighter on the planet when he was HW?

No......that's just a phrase that's become popular.....the heavyweight champion being the baddest man on the planet.

In a lot of cases it's clearly not true.

He's still carrying a lot of fat so he can easily make 205 without cutting much water, it seems like he's going for it, he's always weighed-in at ~240 in the past.

You do realize the primary reason he doesn't cut to 205 is that he had kidney failure in the past?

he needs to cut down to LHW, hes only 5"11! he needs to get with Dolce and cut down
Yeah, cause height is all that matters.

His kidneys are shot. His kidneys failed while he was trying to cut weight during the 2008 olympics. What he will have to do is diet his way as close to 205 as possible then cut the rest of the way.

Cain is the HW champ and the two are best friends and training partners.

LHW champion of the world = best lhw on the planet

Sorta depends on what you mean by "best fighter on the planet". If you just mean who would beat who then it often but not always is a HW but they are usually far from being the most technical, knowledgeable, etc.

A lot of LHWs did surprisingly well in the Pride open weight tournaments.

Why risk his health when he's already a top 5 HW ? :rolleyes:

it would be crazy if a.k.a ends up having the heavyweight and light-heavyweight champions by the end of 2013.

Back