Cormier has the best clinch in the game

Mir's weakness is the clinch so.......

p4p maybe but im pretty sure cormier owns them all in the clinch. especially barnett

Explain how.
And we're talking about "Skills" why are you talking about "p4p"? This is an odd dialogue you're initiating.

Aside from Sonnen and Weidman, what other wrestlers has Silva been matched up with? You make it sound like he's always facing top-flight wrestlers when the MW division historically has been the shallowest in wrestling talent.

Maia had absolutely no way of getting him to the ground but Silva clowned his ass off anyway.

All of the guys i mentioned tried to take Anderson down.
The "they aren't world-class wrestlers" is an excuse for what exactly, not being able to take Anderson down ? Why would you think that Anderson didn't train a lot of TDD for those guys ? He "wasted a lot of time training wrestling" for those guys, he certainly did.
Do you think Anderson would do that to Maia in a striking bout? The reality about that fight is that Anderson was terrified about going to the ground with Demian, so he was just doing his thing in the safest possible way (and obviously crossed the line with his antics that day).

But this is why Anderson's striking was always somewhat overrated during his reign. He's always fought wrestler/grappler sorts other than Vitor and Hendo (and if you include pillow fisted Forrest). Other than his front kick KO of Vitor, what high level strikers has he KO'd in the UFC? Most of his highlights are him clowning on these one dimensional wrestlers. Not saying at all that he couldn't KO some top level strikers but people acted as if he had KO'd a rogue's gallery of stand up killers.

Well, his best/most beautiful knockout is against the other most talented striker in the MW division, that alone says a lot. His other greatest performances are against guys that didn't bother trying to take him down like Griffin. And that's what i'm saying: we don't get the opportunity to see him fighting other good strikers (or destroying brawlers with matrix style) because other than Belfort, everyone that reaches the top of the division will try to take Anderson down, and when he gets a short notice "super-fight", they put Bonnar in there with him, went for the takedown like 20secs into the fight, glad Silva still got a great finish that night..

Franklin was doing pretty good before Andy came to the UFC, a lot of people had him as the favorite going against Silva, people just like to see him is a CAN nowadays....
He rocked Hendo on the standup, toyed with his H-Bombs and then rocked him again on the ground, unbelievable too what Anderson did that night.

So i don't know about overrated (maybe for people that thought he could go boxing or kickboxing with the elite, after spending so many years training grappling), cuz for me he really is the best mma striker of all-time. And the fact that he did everything he did without having a GSP/Aldo kind of TDD is even more impressive for me.
Every good striker will find themselves in harder fights where they are having a bad night or just can't put a tough opponent away easily.

Just my 2 cents anyway, now if you guys wanna comment anything about the clinch... i think we should go back to the topic.. haha :p

dude, mir got wrecked by monsters like barnett and carwin in the clinch against the cage. even brock didnt do anything to him in the clinch. in fact mir kneed brock in the face

cormier shut mir down just like a couple other monsters. cormier also owned barnett which happened since when? whens the last time someone owned barnett? slammed him and beat him up? completely shut him down for the entire fight?

so other than cain who can handle themselves tied up with cormier?

carwins retired
barnett got owned badly
bigfoot? lol come on
jds?

so you think cormier has the best clinch in mma based on two fights. one against mir who has had problems there, and one against barnett, whos a catch wrestler that really hasn't shown a clinch game in his career?

aldo not better?
anderson?
condit?

hell, whos he finished form the clinch?

Reminds me of a prime Couture

Explain how.
And we're talking about "Skills" why are you talking about "p4p"? This is an odd dialogue you're initiating.

you might be talking about skills but another way to look at it is "cormier has the best clinch in the game" could also mean that nobody in the ufc can win the clinch game vs him. we know barnett cant. we know mir cant. its also safe to assume that if mighty mouse tried to clinch with cormier he'd get tossed out of the cage

ts didnt specify p4p or anything. he talks about who could handle cormier in the clinch. if you want to make a point about whatever, thats fine but lets not pretend like im going off topic here by dismissing flyweights in the discussion here

so you think cormier has the best clinch in mma based on two fights. one against mir who has had problems there, and one against barnett, whos a catch wrestler that really hasn't shown a clinch game in his career?

aldo not better?
anderson?
condit?

hell, whos he finished form the clinch?

none of those guys would have a snowballs chance in hell in the clinch

fyi condits clinch game ranks about 564,545,676,465,465,456,243 p4p. give or take a spot or two

none of those guys would have a snowballs chance in hell in the clinch

fyi condits clinch game ranks about 564,545,676,465,465,456,243 p4p. give or take a spot or two

anderson silva would not have a snowballs chance in hell in the clinch with cormier....................................................................im out.

It's really, really good.

But Khabib Nurmagomedov has maybe the best clinch game I've ever seen in MMA.

anderson silva would not have a snowballs chance in hell in the clinch with cormier....................................................................im out.

zero success vs chael or weidman in the clinch and thinks condit is good in the clinch. dont let the door hit you in the ass......

cormier supplexs anderson til his ribs are dust.......let me guess, he starching franklin= goat clinch

But this is why Anderson's striking was always somewhat overrated during his reign. He's always fought wrestler/grappler sorts other than Vitor and Hendo (and if you include pillow fisted Forrest). Other than his front kick KO of Vitor, what high level strikers has he KO'd in the UFC? Most of his highlights are him clowning on these one dimensional wrestlers. Not saying at all that he couldn't KO some top level strikers but people acted as if he had KO'd a rogue's gallery of stand up killers.

That's funny... that was always what people complained about during Chuck's run. I've been watching MMA for awhile and my brain hasn't readjusted it's thinking since Petey knocked out Coleman and Mo Smith knocked out Coleman. it's funny to me that a fighter is seen to have an easier run when he's fighting wrestlers, the game has changed

That's funny... that was always what people complained about during Chuck's run. I've been watching MMA for awhile and my brain hasn't readjusted it's thinking since Petey knocked out Coleman and Mo Smith knocked out Coleman. it's funny to me that a fighter is seen to have an easier run when he's fighting wrestlers, the game has changed

Problem is "easier run" can be argued from multiple angles. The person you're responding to seems to think AS has had an easy run because he hasn't faced elite strikers. Lots of other folks argue that AS has had an easy run because he hasn't faced elite grapplers. Then there's those that argue that AS' competition in general hasn't been elite enough. The common thread seems to be that they all have some weird stake in discrediting him.

Last edited:
when Cormier dominated Barnett in the clinch?

stop writting history, i watched tht fight yesterday and i can't remember Cormier dominating Barnett in the clinch just beating him on the ground

when Cormier dominated Barnett in the clinch?

stop writting history, i watched tht fight yesterday and i can't remember Cormier dominating Barnett in the clinch just beating him on the ground

so they got there from trips? or did barnett take him down and get swept?

so they got there from trips? or did barnett take him down and get swept?

it was single leg takedown when he threw Barnett to the ground.

I think jones has better clinch than Cormier he uses throws,elbows,knee's and everything Cormier had 3 rounds with Mir and never put him away.

it was single leg takedown when he threw Barnett to the ground.

I think jones has better clinch than Cormier he uses throws,elbows,knee's and everything Cormier had 3 rounds with Mir and never put him away.

oh so he took barnett down once and they clinched once?

Aside from Sonnen and Weidman, what other wrestlers has Silva been matched up with? You make it sound like he's always facing top-flight wrestlers when the MW division historically has been the shallowest in wrestling talent.

Maia had absolutely no way of getting him to the ground but Silva clowned his ass off anyway.

???

Guys with good wrestling Silva has fought: Hendo, Sonnen, Weidman, Marquardt, Okami

Good wrestlers at MW currently: Weidman, Okami, Munoz, Carmont, Boetsch. That's about as many wrestlers in/around the top ten as most other divisions.

MW being weak is an old, tired myth.

Imagine bearded Cormier standing a foot from his competition pressing them with one arm and throwing bombs with the other. I do. :icon_lol:

Back