Cormier had the winning formula but not the gas tank

He did a great job until he gassed. I thought the first round was close and gave rounds 2 and 3 to Daniel. He was destroyed in 4 and 5. If I had to score, it would be:
Rd 1: Jones
Rd 2: Dan/but it was close
Rd 3: Dan
Rd 4: Jones
Rd 5: Jones

Cormier had a good game plan. But jones was better. When both fighters were fresh jones won the 1st round. DC won the 2nd n 3rd with his gameplan. But his tank went empty. Cardio is part of the game

I scored the fight 48 - 47 Jones.

Cormier was done after the 3rd, but I gave him rounds 2 and 3.

Didn't like all that wall and stall stuff. I know Jones was working for a takedown but the fightw as exciting for the first 3 rounds and then it just became predictable.

scored same here too

Agreed. It was really looking good then he just gassed. Jones is starting to look a lot more human though.

Jones was throwing constant body-strikes. Hard to keep up your cardio when you're being attacked like that.

Cardio was affected by the Jones body work.

Yup. Eating all those punches & knees to the body ain't gonna do your cardio good. Especially when Jones is in southpaw so he could wing those punches in with full speed & power.

Enter Cain.

method=get&s=cain-velasquez-12-27-12-18-14-42-342.jpg

Cain can't even enter a HW fight

I was surprised with how they both approached the fight. I expected DC to be more aggressive, actually, and to control the clinch and lean more towards his wrestling. Instead, he respected Jones quite a bit, and i'm guessing tried to conserve energy while pressing the pace. Tough strategy, but I think his lack of 5 round experience was somewhat reflected in this.

For Jones, I didn't expect him to bully DC so much, and I thought he'd try to utilize range, more. He once again proved tough in the clinch and did some excellent work on the inside. I knew he had planned to take DC down, but I was surprised he didn't try to do so from the clinch. Younger JJ used to decimate guys in the clinch with his wrestling, all the time, but this was almost a test of strength.

Nonetheless, Jones was impressive.

Jones did good by hitting a lot of body punches, knees and kicks. Drained DC gas tank and later even took him down easily.

I think Jack Slack did a piece on how working the body on DC would be a good strategy since in every fight he got hit, he showed he got hurt by that.

Back