Cormier brought in a Russian wrestler

Gastalov, Cain, Mendez and Rockhard. This may very well be the greatest training camp of all time for a single fighter.

Why do people think Jones possesses K-1 level striking? JJ is and has been a stud wrestler since entering the UFC and his striking is a function of his wrestling, innovation & distance control. Cormier had the PERFECT training routine for this: wrestle w/ better wrestlers than Jones, train w/ AS, Rockhold and even brought in Liam McGeary.

almost everyone is backing DC.....I hope he makes it happen.

Why do people think Jones possesses K-1 level striking? JJ is and has been a stud wrestler since entering the UFC and his striking is a function of his wrestling, innovation & distance control. Cormier had the PERFECT training routine for this: wrestle w/ better wrestlers than Jones, train w/ AS, Rockhold and even brought in Liam McGeary.

Don't forget Seagal's secret, deadly techniques.

If this isn't a good reason to pick DC, I don't know what is. The guy has had a much better camp than Jones and I guarantee that. There was a lot of money put into this camp. He is training two or three Olympians and brought in tall lanky fighters to deal with Jones. The mass of high level fighters in that camp is absurd. You have Javair Mendes who is a god at game planning. Jones has to be truly special to dismantle DC with ease. I just believe DC has his number this fight. They probably worked on countering and taking away everything Jones uses to win. It is much like the JDS fight, you cannot let him dictate the fight and pace and I have no doubts in my mind that this mindset has been drilled into DCs head. He knows it's now or never and they know exactly what needs to be done. Tomorrow we will have a new champion. But that doesn't mean Jones hasnt took the steps Cormier has, so no need to flame Jonny "Bones" Jones nuthuggers.

I think bringing in McCreary was the best decision for DC. That dude is going to be good.

The Olympic wrestler may be planning to take down his opponent?

This isi groundbreaking stuff, TS. Don't leak it on Sherdog.

Yeah, Henderson, Cormier, Couture - they always try to get the fight to the ground and keep it there (what I actually said). Oh wait.

The fight played out differently than most expected, as Cormier chose to mostly grind Mir along the cage, and Mir could never find a way to get the bout to the mat, not even by pulling guard.

Which makes perfect sense.
Although I'm sure he's been training stand-up, given the dimensions of these fighters, DC isn't going to be looking to stand and trade all night...that would be a poor game plan. Because he is so short reached in comparison it will be hard to even use punches to setup TD's. Better to work on good, quick, crisp wrestling clinch to TD with some defensive boxing then trying to out kick-box a guy who has a foot of reach on you.

I would have rather seen him boxing one of the Klitchkos or fighing a tall K1 heavyweight in preparation for Jones

Luke Rockhold has been his #1 training partner this entire time. I can't think of a fighter better to emulate Jones other than Anderson.

Not to forget that the russian wrestler is around 260 and DC will probably feel like JJ's wrestling is not too strong, compared to the russian - if Jones tries to go for the wrestling.

Gatsalov is a glorified LHW ( or 211 guy )

He just wants to test himself in the HW div but he is nowhere near the upper limit, he ssems to be around 220-225 and ripped ..

Why would DC bother training with a boxer when his strategy is going to be take down Jones down and pound him into dust?

He looked bigger than 220 in the training footage

10731637_602354016535353_725712733_n.jpg

No he is not

B6P52yJIAAAe2yC.jpg:large

220-225ish (maybe pushing 230) but pretty ripped

Luke Rockhold has been his #1 training partner this entire time. I can't think of a fighter better to emulate Jones other than Anderson.

Not to mention he also had Liam Mcgeary who is 6'6 striker with a 81 reach

But yes Rockhold is alomst Jones's height with very long legs like Jon and has the striking to emulate JBJ and some solid wrestling

Back