Cormier: Anyone else with my resume would have had a title shot by now

Let's be serious. The fight was close and wasn't an impressive victory on Machida's part. Machida would of got one if he had defeated Davis which was the fight after. Rashad wasn't getting a title shot because he was coming off 2 back to back losses and the fight with Hendo was close and not an impressive victory. Shogun wasn't going to because he was 2-3 in his last 5. A win over Hendo will make him 3-3 in 6 fights which is not impressive. Stop skewing history to try make your point valid.

I'm not skewing history. Machida clearly beat him. Dan was 4-1 in his last fight but it wasn't enough for a title shot. Saying that if he beat Davis he would've gotten a shot is you agreeing with me.

Beating 4-1 Dan isn't enough for a title shot, but beating 2-3 Dan is? Really?

I like DC but he's wrong mainly because he hasn't yet beaten a top 10 LHW. At HW he should have already gotten a title shot but he wasn't going to fight his friend Cain.

Frankie got title shot after loss. Cormier is right.

Frankie was a past champ at LW, whereas Cormier refuses to fight his friend Cain...so there is no comparison.

Not being willing to fight your bud Cain for the HW belt does not mean you can just drop down and fight for the LHW belt instead.

I don't blame Cormier at all for trying though. Plenty of guys received title shots that didn't deserve them or didn't come from beating top contenders

I also don't think he should get a title shot for beating Hendo.

Machida didn't. Shad didn't. Shogun wasn't going to. Beating Hendo wasn't enough to get them a title shot, it shouldn't be enough for Cormier.

I think it will depend on how (if) he wins that earns him the shot

I'm not skewing history. Machida clearly beat him. Dan was 4-1 in his last fight but it wasn't enough for a title shot. Saying that if he beat Davis he would've gotten a shot is you agreeing with me.

Beating 4-1 Dan isn't enough for a title shot, but beating 2-3 Dan is? Really?
You clearly don't understand what I was saying. Please reread what I posted.

"Knocked out the #1 contender in his debut". If I recall, Werdum was not the #1 contender at that time, so stop it. JDS had to work his way up because he wasn't known and there was better competition at HW at that time.

As for the poster siding with you, I looked, there's only one that agrees with you while two including me disagree. WTF are you talking about?

You don't know what you are talking about, Werdum was the number 1 contender but that was when Brock was 2-1 so they gave him the title shot over Werdum because Brock has big muscles and is way more popular.

Werdum fought a then unknown JDS, underestimated him and showed up in the worst shape of his entire career and got his first and only KO loss because of it.

Prior to the JDS fight Werdum had just TKOed Gonzaga who had just fought Couture for the title who Couture took longer to finish then finished a then 8-1 Brandon Vera who's only loss was to Tim Syilva who was well into the top 10 at the time, you should shut up because you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

You don't know what you are talking about, Werdum was the number 1 contender but that was when Brock was 2-1 so they gave him the title shot over Werdum because Brock has big muscles and is way more popular.

Werdum fought a then unknown JDS, underestimated him and showed up in the worst shape of his entire career and got his first and only KO loss because of it.

Werdum had just TKOed Gonzaga who had just fought Couture for the title who Couture took longer to finish then finished a then 8-1 Brandon Vera who's only loss was to Tim Syilva who was well into the top 10 at the time, you should shut up because you don't know what the hell you are talking about.

Hehe nice post.

I don't recall him walling and stalling Nelson. He stood with Nelson for the most part. It's easy to point out a fighters weaker opponents. If you're gonna use that then bring up the fact that he hasn't lost a round. He destroyed Big Foot. Beat Barnett soundly. Grinded Mir out. Stood with Nelson and landed some clean shots. Walked through Cummins.

I agree that he beat Big Foot and Barnett in very one-sided fights. My point is that he made his case for an immediate title shot that much weaker, by underperforming against Mir and Nelson. Were he to show the same aggression that he did in his Strikeforce fights, he conceivably could have leapfrogged Evans altogether and fought Jones ahead of Glover/Gus.

I'm perfectly happy with him getting a title shot when, er I mean if, he beats Hendo.

If he's good enough to challenge Cain then I really don't get all the 'waah but he doesn't deserve it, he didn't fight his friend and dropped a weight class waah' type stuff.

Make the fight.

24y30y1.jpg

Congrats you have a shot against Cain, good luck. :icon_chee j/k You have to earn a shot to face the champ at LHW. Let's not get lost in the dominance.

Hehe nice post.

Thanks, I can't stand people new to MMA like OP that try to act like they know something they don't. It wouldn't have even been hard for him to find out who was the number one contender in 2008 in the UFC HW divsion at that time, the division wasn't deep.

Thanks, I can't stand people new to MMA like OP that try to act like they know something they don't. It wouldn't have even been hard for him to find out who was the number one contender in 2008 in the UFC HW divsion at that time, the division wasn't deep.

Yea I tried talking some sense into him but he's a lost cause. I didn't even want to explain how wrong he actually is but I'm glad you did.

New to MMA, I've been watching since 2004 bud. I just checked the heavyweight rankings for that year and Werdum was no where close to being a number #1 contender. Big Nog and Arlovski (who he lost to) are ahead of him. Werdum was coming off a victory over Vera which wasn't a fight for #1 contendership at HW. WTF are you talking about. All I can see from that year was that Werdum was more deserving but not the true #1 contender. And even if I were wrong, I seen some of the BS you post on here daily so don't point the finger about MMA knowledge.

I think DC should think about the fact that his run at HW is not anything to do with his new division, but cormier is the real deal so I don't honestly think it matters whether he beats a couple guys or not. Only dudes that can even win a round against DC are Jones and maybe Gus though I think DC could for sure take Gus down.

barnett was 8-0 going into his fight against DC with 7 finishes
after losing to DC he won both his next fights

Yeah 8-0 against a bunch of nobodies and then 2-0 against one nobody and out of shape/old Frank Mir. Similar to what Cormier himself did

this. don't complain about not getting a shot when you refuse to fight the champ. its not the ufc's fault you share a camp with him.
Yeah I gotta agree here.

Cormeir would have had a title shot right from strikeforce if he was willing to fight cain.

Can't just move down and jump ahesd of everyone else

the only arguement someone will have is that most of his wins are at heavyweight, but if he beats hendo i think he erases that argument

If he could beat Rashad I would agree... Beating an old, battle torn Hendo - now even deprived of his TRT - is not enough IMO.

(And I think Cormier will beat old, all-natural Dan. Pretty soundly.)

Back