Cormeir willing to fight Gus for Interim belt. (source)

Well the whole point of an interim belt is to have a champion in case your other champion cannot make a title defense in a reasonable manner.

Happened to Tito when he refused to fight Chuck.

A fake belt being defended doesn't change the fact that the holder of that belt is not the champion, just a glorified number 1 contender.

Jones is not hurt. Jones is healthy and ready to go. The only solution here is to offer him whatever it is he wants, it's only fair since he is the best they have to offer.

Why the fuck should there be an interim belt? Just make Jones fight these two back to back. He's the champ, after all.

Agreed. They are both worthy challengers. Jones needs to face them both.

Why eliminate one? They both provide unique skills that could give Jones problems

Alex can fight someone else first and DC should fight Jones already... and don't tell me he doesn't deserve a title shot yet. That's complete nonsense. He's not just beaten, but dominated everyone they've thrown at him at Strikeforce, in the UFC, at HW and at LHW. Give him a shot already. What the hell else is he supposed to do?

I'm sure Jones will sign. If he doesn't, the title should be stripped and the winner of DC and Gus should just be champion. No need for an interim.

A fake belt being defended doesn't change the fact that the holder of that belt is not the champion, just a glorified number 1 contender.

Jones is not hurt. Jones is healthy and ready to go. The only solution here is to offer him whatever it is he wants, it's only fair since he is the best they have to offer.

I can't disagree with you on the first part of your post.

However I respectfully disagree that the only solution is to offer whatever he wants.

Jones works for the UFC, not the other way around.

This is correct.

However it would also serve as great motivation for Jones to actually fight.

Jones is not hurt. Jones is healthy and ready to go. The only solution here is to offer him whatever it is he wants

lol.

Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he won't. the guy just fought a month ago.lol

Krissake just because he signs the fight contract today - doesn't mean he fights today... Just means he is willing to fight Gus at a future date to be decided by agreement of both parties...but if he won't sign fuk' him...Let DC/Gus decide who wears the belt...at least they are willing to fight for it, which apparently is more than what Jon is willing to do!

jones will fight gus, hes just negotiating and playing mindgames

An interim belt in this situation would mean nothing

surprised everyone is mad that jones wont just sign whatever

remember the shit they JUST pulled on nate diaz when he just signed whatever and agreed to renegotiate later?

remember how gil managed to get a payday and the fight/contract he wanted by holding out?

Probably Cormier was carefully instructed to say this by UFC lawyers

surprised everyone is mad that jones wont just sign whatever

remember the shit they JUST pulled on nate diaz when he just signed whatever and agreed to renegotiate later?

remember how gil managed to get a payday and the fight/contract he wanted by holding out?

+1 people seem to hate Jones so much they won't even consider the possibility that his contract request could be valid.

Also, if my understanding is correct, the UFC has champion clauses, so even with his next fight being the last on his contract, he wouldn't be a free agent with a win.

With a win he won't be a free agent and will be under his current terms because he's a champion and they can try to strong arm him to take another fight like they're doing now. If he loses then he loses his title and his bargaining power.

Jones would love this. It will eliminate one of his two biggest challenges.

No it wouldn't. It just means One will get the title shot before the other. You can't fight both at the same time. If Gus wins, he'll fight Jones again and if he fails to beat him, Jones will then go on to fight Cormier and vice versa.

How many times is this story gonna get posted in the last 3 days? I've seen at least 3 pop up just today about it and nothing's new

interim belts only happen when the champ CANT fight (injury, extreme circumstance) - if he CAN and REFUSES to do so, he has to abdicate the belt.

you defend the belt from all challengers - if you don't fight then you are not defending it. You don't get to pick your fights as champ.

This interim belt thing is just a bad idea and waste of time for both fighters.Gus fighting DC is what Jon was gunning for all along:Good for Jones but bad for the fans.Both of these guys represent serious challenges for Jones:DC with his top wrestling and Gus with his great Boxing and size.I'd like to see Gus vs DC but only after they have respectively faced The champion.
On another note,if Gus loses to DC,he will lose also his already secured rematch.If DC loses,he won't contend for the title for a while :not a good position given his age.

Back