Cormeir willing to fight Gus for Interim belt. (source)

Jones would love this. It will eliminate one of his two biggest challenges.

why is a interim title fight necessary?

Pretty cool, although I think Jones will sign. Only reason he would not is if he is seriously considering retirement or a jump to Bellator MMA.

If Cormier/Gustafsson happens that's fine and we'll have a solid deserving contender afterwards but please fuck off with your "interim" title.

No one gives an F about some make believe belt.

Jones won't sign to fight Alex.
But it is too sooon... lol

Jones should be able to take a break after manhandling Tex;

Jones won't sign to fight Alex.
But it is too sooon... lol

Jones should be able to take a break after manhandling Tex;

Just because he hasn't doesn't mean he won't. the guy just fought a month ago.lol

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/cont...-willing-to-face-gustafsson-for-interim-title

Pretty interesting, but I agree with DC. As much as I love the idea of Jones fighting either of these guys if he keeps dragging his feet and doesn't sign an interim fight between Gus and DC would be pretty sick. Plus it adds extra hype and implications to the unification bout, regardless of who wins.

Your thoughts Sherdog?

There is no unification when someone is holding an interim title. You only unify different belts. I agree with you though, the fight would be sick. Especially if DC destroyed Gus, that would make me happy.

If Cormier/Gustafsson happens that's fine and we'll have a solid deserving contender afterwards but please fuck off with your "interim" title.

No one gives an F about some make believe belt.

Well the whole point of an interim belt is to have a champion in case your other champion cannot make a title defense in a reasonable manner.

Happened to Tito when he refused to fight Chuck.

Then there is no reason for them to fight.

Yes there is: to create a worthy title challenger.

Skill wise both Guffy and DC are worthy, interesting and deserving challengers. But neither has beaten the kind of fighters in the weight class to position themselves as the indisputable #1 contender.

http://www.fightersonlymag.com/cont...-willing-to-face-gustafsson-for-interim-title

Pretty interesting, but I agree with DC. As much as I love the idea of Jones fighting either of these guys if he keeps dragging his feet and doesn't sign an interim fight between Gus and DC would be pretty sick. Plus it adds extra hype and implications to the unification bout, regardless of who wins.

Your thoughts Sherdog?

Cormier's injury was fake then? Well played Cormier.

So I get to quote myself later.

DC tko's Gus and then Jones easily UD's DC.

Jones would love this. It will eliminate one of his two biggest challenges.

It would certainly give him much more information on both fighters. At the same time, they'll always be a challenge for the title. These athletes are only getting better, and right now, Jon Jones is the bar for LHW. Everyone is gunning to surpass his skills.

champ wont sign to fight number 1 contender who is the REAL champ anyhow

I don't understand why he gets to pick his fights. With regards to the contract for the fight and negotiating as someone mentioned on page 1: He is UNDER contract already and if he wants to re negotiate every single time he fights that is tough shit. He already signed for a set amount for x number of fights plus ppv percentages.

The SMART word is this is business as usual and everyone is making a molehill into a mountain and basically wasting time talking about a great big nothing.

I will say if he doesn't fight Gus he should lose his title for refusing to defend it and Cormier and Gus should fight for the belt.

Why the fuck should there be an interim belt? Just make Jones fight these two back to back. He's the champ, after all.

It would certainly give him much more information on both fighters. At the same time, they'll always be a challenge for the title. These athletes are only getting better, and right now, Jon Jones is the bar for LHW. Everyone is gunning to surpass his skills.

Agreed I have a feeling that Cormeir, Gus, and Jones are all going to fight and rematch each other a few times. I think these 3 are the current 3 best LHW's were gonna see in quite a while.

Kind of a Randy, Chuck, Tito scenario.....except better! lol

Back