Copyright experts, help please

sounds good might shop it around to some peeps i know in the biz

I'm an IP litigator. This isn't a copyright issue it's a trademark issue, and no you can't do it unless (a) there's no likelihood of confusion at any point in the commercial use of the name; and (b) the mark isn't famous, which would set up a dilution claim.

Just repeating the letter "o" would not differentiate the mark nearly enough. Particularly given that it is used on such similar products, not just video games but the same basic type.

You would get sued for sure, and quite probably lose.

Also, most distributors wouldn't even carry a product with that name for fear of liability.

I'm an IP litigator. This isn't a copyright issue it's a trademark issue, and no you can't do it unless (a) there's no likelihood of confusion at any point in the commercial use of the name; and (b) the mark isn't famous, which would set up a dilution claim.

Just repeating the letter "o" would not differentiate the mark nearly enough. Particularly given that it is used on such similar products, not just video games but the same basic type.

You would get sued for sure, and quite probably lose.

Wow that's really disappointing. I thought the parody laws would protect him. With stupid movies out there like "The Starving Games" and "Immortal Combat" I would think his is no worse.

I believe you, I'm just saying I don't think it's fair.

You could say this project might run into a stall.

Isnt it covered under fair use as parody?

I've had a few people try to convince me of this, and it makes sense to me.

I just saw a movie entirely based around the mocking of the worlds most powerful dictator, surely I can replace cars with cows???

Yeah, listen to the guy with the experience in lawshuits.

Actually, you two should collaborate. koko bear racing.

Wow that's really disappointing. I thought the parody laws would protect him. With stupid movies out there like "The Starving Games" and "Immortal Combat" I would think his is no worse.

I believe you, I'm just saying I don't think it's fair.

Parody can be used as long as it's sufficiently different. One letter is just not going to do the job, particularly when it's a repeated letter.

The courts give way more leeway to parody that has some sort of social or political aspect to it. For example, the song 'Barbie Girl,' I watched the appellate argument on it. Making fun of the vacuousness of Barbie was permitted, particularly since the song was so different than anything Barbie put out.

But a generic commercial product with no serious social commentary angle, they give you very little leeway.

hows about Teet Racing?

Gran Turismoo 3: Kobe Drift

What if you just drop "Gran". Call it "Turismoo". Or "Keep it Mooving!"

Hmm, I'm really bad at this.

Thanks a million for the info Zankou, you've convinced me that I should change the title.

I'm finding some of these suggestions hilarious. Kobe drift killed me.

Back