Cops and BJJ

You can't seriously serve as a cop and still be ignorant of all the shit that people hate about cops. I guarantee you've seen it, ignored it, and still act surprised when us mere mortal "cop haters" point out legitimate concerns in various police departments.

I'm not sure I see any "concerns" that can be helped being pointed out by people? The stories on here seem to be "wah wah wah I got pulled over for doing something illegal and the cop was mean to me that power hungry prick."

I think the main concern YOU should be focused about on this forum is the piss poor training most (probably ALL) cops receive for physical self defense. I've spent probably 200 hours training bullshit wrist locks that don't work on actively resisting people. Like I said: when cops start losing they need to escalate the situation. They cannot lose. So, let's make a big thread in a grappling forum to chase all the cops away that may have thought about getting actual useful training. No hesitant cop that reads a thread like this will ever give it a chance in a legit school.

It's a HUGE ego check to even commit to this kind of training. Most normal males can't deal with it, let alone someone who's been trained to think their "training" is everything they need. Almost every defensive thing I've personally learned in official training is completely useless in a real fight, and that's why people like us need to encourage police officers to train outside work.

In reality any average size white belt at my school could defeat most of the people I work with in a physical confrontation. I would also say that most of the people I work with are completely ignorant of that fact. Most of the people on here watch the video of Eric Garner's death and know they could have done it a better way. Places like this need to have a positive environment if you really care to change the way things are.

Yup. Like I said, it's that cronism. That unshakeable defense of other cops, regardless of what they did, how they did it, or who they did it to.

One of my biggest issues is civil forfeiture, which basically amounts to taxpayer-funded, legal shakedowns. Carrying any cash? Cops seize it under suspicion of you using it for drugs, despite there being no evidence to charge you with any crime. They instead charge your property, which technically has no rights, and your chances of ever seeing it again are nil. Got a house? Got an addict, recovering or current, staying there? Cops seize it under suspicion of it being a crack/meth den. You then spend YEARS trying to get back your own property.

Who handles the claims? The DA's office, making it a clear conflict of interest.

When did the police start writing the laws they enforce? You also know that the District Attorney is an elected official right? Damn I feel like one of the Joes at the end of a cartoon. Seems like a messed up situation that the voters voted for? Not sure if the cops get to move into the drug houses with their families or what.

16 deaths out of 100k doesnt even crack the top 10. Being an officer in america is not a dangerous job compared to many other's.

Plus no one is putting a gun to someones head making them be police.

99% of cops that I have seen training at my gym have been egoistic morons whose game was based solely on neck cranks, can openers and disgustingly falsely done americanas that get them tapped over and over again. When they get tapped 10+ times, they go on about how grappling is not realistic in a real fight, usually say they have a gun anyway, and I never see them back in the gym. It's not a stereotype if 20/21 cops have acted this way. Usually it's just school drop outs and generally unintelligent people who have a need to exert some sort of authority over people far more intelligent and capable than they are, and being a cop is probably the only way to do it.

And my grandfather was the head of the police department in my city, so I have tried to objectively take a look at the situation, but most cops I have met have been total dicks. It's just the way it is.

Last edited:
Yup. Like I said, it's that cronism. That unshakeable defense of other cops, regardless of what they did, how they did it, or who they did it to.

One of my biggest issues is civil forfeiture, which basically amounts to taxpayer-funded, legal shakedowns. Carrying any cash? Cops seize it under suspicion of you using it for drugs, despite there being no evidence to charge you with any crime. They instead charge your property, which technically has no rights, and your chances of ever seeing it again are nil. Got a house? Got an addict, recovering or current, staying there? Cops seize it under suspicion of it being a crack/meth den. You then spend YEARS trying to get back your own property.

Who handles the claims? The DA's office, making it a clear conflict of interest.

Speaking of civil forfeiture what if you refuse to hand over whatever they are asking for? What would they charge you with?

If a cop is "violating your rights" then make a complaint/file a lawsuit. What's the problem with handing over your backpack/vehicle for an "unlawful" search, if you're going to get a fat settlement from it. Cops are human, and therefore can make mistakes. A proper attitude and greeting will take you a long way. It's the same thing at the friggin' DMV. In the street you listen, and in the court you can argue.

Don't get it twisted, I have always(and can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't) complied. BUT this attitude is what is wrong with civilians and LEOs. It's the same as "If you've got nothing to hide then let them do the search".

If a cop is "violating your rights" then make a complaint/file a lawsuit. What's the problem with handing over your backpack/vehicle for an "unlawful" search, if you're going to get a fat settlement from it. Cops are human, and therefore can make mistakes. A proper attitude and greeting will take you a long way. It's the same thing at the friggin' DMV. In the street you listen, and in the court you can argue.

What's the problem with handing over my backpack in a random, warrantless search? How about I'm an American and I don't have to kowtow to you just because you're a cop? You put 'violating your rights' in quotes but it should be in bold, since we have a fucking constitutional amendment to prevent unreasonable search and seizure. How about you stop assuming you can do whatever the hell you want just because of your little gold shield?

In terms of prosecuting cops, how well has that worked out for the family of Eric Garner, or Mike Brown? Cops aren't held accountable in America, so saying you can just sue them afterwards is pointless. And lets not pretend cops are just making mistakes. They knowingly and willfully violate peoples' rights all the time because they know nothing will happen to them.

Don't get it twisted, I have always(and can't imagine a scenario where I wouldn't) complied. BUT this attitude is what is wrong with civilians and LEOs. It's the same as "If you've got nothing to hide then let them do the search".

yes. reminds of me of watching some new coverage of ferguson protests with my mother, who said the whole issue is that people don't behave. if they would just behave, i.e comply anywhere and everywhere, nothing bad would happen.

hard to explain to old scared people that tamir rice never got a chance to comply

What's the problem with handing over my backpack in a random, warrantless search? How about I'm an American and I don't have to kowtow to you just because you're a cop? You put 'violating your rights' in quotes but it should be in bold, since we have a fucking constitutional amendment to prevent unreasonable search and seizure. How about you stop assuming you can do whatever the hell you want just because of your little gold shield?

In terms of prosecuting cops, how well has that worked out for the family of Eric Garner, or Mike Brown? Cops aren't held accountable in America, so saying you can just sue them afterwards is pointless. And lets not pretend cops are just making mistakes. They knowingly and willfully violate peoples' rights all the time because they know nothing will happen to them.

Can i ask who is charged with the vindication of your rights under that constitution? As a european citizen, the situation here is that the police are? Are things that different in the states?

An example: Police here hand out speeding tickets. This is an effort to make the roads safer to all and aid free movement and as such is a practical vindication of all members of societys right to free movement.

I dont understand how American citizens can value the constitution so highly until it comes to its practical implementation. example: describing american cops as fat and lazy for conducting speed detection operations when what they are doing is obviously the practical vindication of your rights under your constitution?

Am i missing something?

I dont understand how American citizens can value the constitution so highly until it comes to its practical implementation. example: describing american cops as fat and lazy for conducting speed detection operations when what they are doing is obviously a cash grab to fill State coffers?

Am i missing something?

Obviously.

Obviously.

Thats kind of a strange answer to give unless the money goes directly to the cops pockets and not back to the civil authority? Do cops keep the money in the us? Or does it go back to the city/county/state coffers and get redistributed on services for citizens?

Edit, sorry yeah its a grappling thread, no more questions for you americans!

When did the police start writing the laws they enforce? You also know that the District Attorney is an elected official right? Damn I feel like one of the Joes at the end of a cartoon. Seems like a messed up situation that the voters voted for? Not sure if the cops get to move into the drug houses with their families or what.

they may not write the laws, but there is damn sure a whole lot of variability in how they are enforced, and you know it.

voters also don't, in most cases, vote on individual pieces of law. lawmakers get elected, and then go off and do what they want. it's one of the worst disconnects in our system. we may be able to elect someone different, but it's pretty tough to go back and get those laws removed. DA's have tremendous discretion over how they choose to prosecute the law. case in point: ferguson. did that represent what the people of ferguson wanted, for that not to even go to trial? i don't think so.

further, "i don't make the rules, i just work here" may be an acceptable excuse if you make sandwiches at subway, but it sure isn't when you're working a job where you could literally kill someone.

Thats kind of a strange answer to give unless the money goes directly to the cops pockets and not back to the civil authority? Do cops keep the money in the us? Or does it go back to the city/county/state coffers and get redistributed on services for citizens?

Edit, sorry yeah its a grappling thread, no more questions for you americans!

It's a strange answer when you look at it through those Fisher-Price "My First Poli Sci Class" glasses.

Notice I said State coffers. Which also happen to fund the police budget. If the money actually got redistributed in a fashion that built up the community, I don't think you'd find so many people objecting.

It's a strange answer when you look at it through those Fisher-Price "My First Poli Sci Class" glasses.

Notice I said State coffers. Which also happen to fund the police budget. If the money actually got redistributed in a fashion that built up the community, I don't think you'd find so many people objecting.

Its a grappling thread so i wasnt really going to get involved in it but if you want to debate it so be it.

First poli sci class glasses?? I dont know what that means? Ill keep my questions simple and brief for you.

So are you telling me that money from gathered from sppeding fines in your state goes directly to the police budget? All of it? and you obviously have evidence of this?

None of it goes to street maintanence? Road Saftey campaigns? Waste Collection? Local schools? Employees wages? Community development programs? Hospitals? Ambulances?

I mean obviously youre smart enough to rule those out for me?

The money is used to help pay for their military-grade gear they will then use to seize your car for suspicion of being driven by a person who may or may not be committing a crime and for conducting SWAT raids for routine search warrants on unsuspecting families.

Speaking of civil forfeiture what if you refuse to hand over whatever they are asking for? What would they charge you with?

I have no clue and I would definitely never try it, lest I get shot for a threatening eye twitch.

I'm not sure I see any "concerns" that can be helped being pointed out by people? The stories on here seem to be "wah wah wah I got pulled over for doing something illegal and the cop was mean to me that power hungry prick."

I think the main concern YOU should be focused about on this forum is the piss poor training most (probably ALL) cops receive for physical self defense. I've spent probably 200 hours training bullshit wrist locks that don't work on actively resisting people. Like I said: when cops start losing they need to escalate the situation. They cannot lose. So, let's make a big thread in a grappling forum to chase all the cops away that may have thought about getting actual useful training. No hesitant cop that reads a thread like this will ever give it a chance in a legit school.

It's a HUGE ego check to even commit to this kind of training. Most normal males can't deal with it, let alone someone who's been trained to think their "training" is everything they need. Almost every defensive thing I've personally learned in official training is completely useless in a real fight, and that's why people like us need to encourage police officers to train outside work.

In reality any average size white belt at my school could defeat most of the people I work with in a physical confrontation. I would also say that most of the people I work with are completely ignorant of that fact. Most of the people on here watch the video of Eric Garner's death and know they could have done it a better way. Places like this need to have a positive environment if you really care to change the way things are.

there's just a lot wrong here. a lot.

first, the thought that there is no benefit to discussion and awareness fits right in with the standard police attitude of complete lack of transparency. nothing to see here, move along.

second, your "this is all wah wah wah" is neither helpful, nor accurate. people are talking about a wide range of experiences, ranging from getting pulled over or stop/frisked for no reason to unarmed civilians getting killed. your version is, people crying because they did something illegal and didn't like the cop's attitude. if only it were that simple. your attitude perpetuates the monstrous divide between LEO and the communities they have sworn to serve and protect. it is no different than the "don't break the law and you won't have problems with cops" argument. accurate on the surface, child-like in it's stupidity when you look at the real world.

third, i agree that most police training seems to be shit. clearly, officers have no confidence in it, because they go straight to the glock. so where is the outrage on the part of police officers that they are so poorly trained? you'd complain about a shitty vest or cop car, so why not this? i'm guessing it's simply some long-standing contractors, maybe retired cops, that keep teaching the same bullshit seminars to LEO folks, year after year. how cozy. i hope you realize that citizens have no direct way to demand accountability and better practices for something like this; police departments do whatever they want in terms of equipment and training.

fourth, i do think most white belts could defeat most cops in a fight. there's something seriously wrong with the physical standards. why are firefighters generally in so much better shape? why do so many police officers panic so quickly? where is that part of their training?

finally, i don't think learning to grapple is a HUGE ego check. it's a minor one for a well-adjusted person. perhaps it's too much of an ego check for your average cop because they just can't handle ego checks of any size.

note that i am not anti-cop. i like most cops. i train with cops. i have a judo instructor at my school that says the same things as you regarding training of cops: it's all bullshit krav maga and they only get a few hours a year. needs to be fixed. police chief is not an elected position.

Its a grappling thread so i wasnt really going to get involved in it but if you want to debate it so be it.

First poli sci class glasses?? I dont know what that means? Ill keep my questions simple and brief for you.

So are you telling me that money from gathered from sppeding fines in your state goes directly to the police budget? All of it? and you obviously have evidence of this?

None of it goes to street maintanence? Road Saftey campaigns? Waste Collection? Local schools? Employees wages? Community development programs? Hospitals? Ambulances?

Of course some goes to those things. But our roads are falling apart, our public schools are a joke, and our health care system is designed for profit. Most of the money police generate does stay in-house.

I made the Fisher-Price joke because you seem to be projecting a very idealized version of events. On paper, you are correct. In practice, not so much.

speeding tickets, not sure . but civil forfeiture like Ippy is talking about, absolutely. here's a length piece on that from the New Yorker: http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2013/08/12/taken

The money is used to help pay for their military-grade gear they will then use to seize your car for suspicion of being driven by a person who may or may not be committing a crime and for conducting SWAT raids for routine search warrants on unsuspecting families.

This i can agree with, the over militarization of police services in America ia pretty astounding, and a waste of budgets better spent on community based projects but to be fair im looking at it from the outside. It seems to me as very much an outsider to be a symptom of american society and its facination with guns which is a pretty alien concept here.

Back